Textured Ceiling Makeover

$100

Farmhouse Inspired – Ceiling Makeover
Got an ugly textured ceiling? Need an easy and budget friendly way to update? Here is an inexpensive way to update a textured or popcorn ceiling without breaking the bank.
Tools: Nail Gun, Chop Saw, Table saw (or circular saw), Safety Goggles, Billed Hat, Mask, 4 ft. Level, Pencil, Stud Finder, Floor Scraper or Putty Knife.
Learn from my mistakes. Wear eye protection and a billed hat at all times. I got a piece of the ceiling embedded in my eye and it took a long time to get it out. OUCH!
Supplies: Underlayment Board cut into strips by Home Depot, 2” nails and your Favorite Shabby Paints Color.
I had Home Depot cut 4×8 sheets of Tri Ply Underlayment (around $11.00 a sheet) into 6 equal size planks this should give you around 8” x 8’ planks.
Cost: Under $100.00 for a 12×12 room.
Tip: Since I was doing the ceiling solo, I used a chop saw to cut all my boards in 4-foot pieces so they would be more manageable.
Prep: * Warning check for asbestos!
Start by scraping any large texture pieces or chunks with a putty knife or my favorite a floor scraper. Knock anything off that would prevent a flat install.
Mark your rafters. A good stud finder is key. Use your Level and pencil to mark across the entire room.
Install: Start in the corner being sure to get nails into your rafters. Keep the pattern random like you would a planked floor.
Paint: I used a roller to apply one coat of Shabby Paints Tiffany then used a Shabby Applicator Sponge to do a White Wash with diluted Snow White.
Tip: I recommend measuring and verifying that you will not end up having to cut the last board less than ½ of the boards width. If it measures out that you would, I would rip the first board to make it end right.
Tip 2: A jigsaw is great for cutting around light fixtures.
Before and After
1974 called and they want their dusty textured ceiling back!
Remove any large chunks so you can get a easy install.
Mask up..this stuff is gross!
The guys at my Home Depot are awesome about helping :)
A good stud finder is a must...mark your rafters to make sure you get a snug install.
Oh yeah..bye 1974!
My favorite Nail gun of all time! Ryobi Airstrike!! I did the entire room walls and ceiling with 2 batteries!
Paint ceiling. One coat of Shabby Paints Tiffany!
White wash using Shabby Paints Tiffany.
Fun Farmhouse guest bedroom.

Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home

To see more: https://www.shabbypaints.com/farmhouse-inspired-ceiling-makeover/

• Shena Winslow

Where there was no rafter, what did you nail the boards IN to?

• Just John

To use a stud finder is a problem! When a guy enters that isle that they’re on, what to keep all of them from going off at the same time? I’d find that embarrassing! smh

• Michelle Kintz

Can you let me know what the measurements are on this one? Would love to make this for my daughter.

• A

This is realllyyy nice!!!!

• Josie Gonzalez

How do I get rid of popcorn texture so I can paint? I’m in my late 60’s can’t scrape it off too tiring for me.😞