Lighted Tomato Cage Angel

$15

I love repurposing items! So a couple of years ago when I spotted tomato cages in a garden department, my mind went wild with ideas. The one I got most excited about was lighted yard angels. I always wanted Christmas yard art but I am not crazy about what is on the market and if I did like it the price was too high. Plus I don't like my stuff to be the same as everyone else!!
*I borrowed pic to show what inspired me
I gathered supplies (enough for 3 angels cause as a decorator I follow the odd number rule), shopping at places like dollar tree, king dollar, and of course the garden department of lowes. I already have my tools on hand like plastic clothespins, zip ties, and glue gun. I learned a long time ago when using a hot glue gun, clothespins come in handy not only to hold things in place where you need them but to keep you from burning your fingertips off! Anyone that has used hot glue has burnt themself trying to hold something in place while it dries. *Plastic clothespins work better than wood because they come off easier at the end.
Some of my supplies
I begin by wrapping the tomato cage with string lights using clothes pins to hold them in place while I'm evenly spacing them out. I made sure I kept the plug-in to the bottom of the angels body which is the larger end of the tomato cage. If you use solar lights you need to make sure your panel is at the bottom so it can come out and catch the sun and if you use battery operated lights you need to make sure you can get to the battery pack. *Obviously if your angel is going outside you need to make sure your lights are rated for outdoor use. Once lights are in place I secure them randomly with zip ties in various places.

Get creative with dress design!
Next using the floral mesh, create a dress on your angel's body. Again use the clothespins to hold it in place and then to help you glue it on when you're finished with your design. It helps keep the dress on the cage by lipping the material around the wire and gluing like a seam.
Now time for the beautiful wings. This is another time you can add your personal touch! You can use feathers, garland or any other material you want to make it more like an angel than a fairy or a butterfly. Start by outlining using your clothes pins to hold In place then as you glue. If you would like you can fill the entire wings with garland or feathers. Keep in mind they will get heavier than more stuff you use. You are ready to attach them to the body using hot glue and zip ties to secure tightly.
She of course now needs her head! I found a large enough glittery ornament that I was able to glue on and zip tie securely. My back up plan was a large foam craft ball that could be painted with glittery glue or with foam safe glitter paint. If you go that route and she's going to be outside you should weather proof with a clear sealant. **You would also need to do this before anything else so her head can be dry when you get to the step.

Using either shimmery pipe cleaner or floral wire wrapped with garland, form a circle a little larger than the angels head. Make a tripod using floral wire attached to the halo. Glue the middle leg of halo tripod to the back of the head and the other two are attached to the wings and secured with glue.
Accessories are another way to make it yours
We all accesorise ourselves when we dress up so we should do the same to our angel! This is another time you get to personalize to your taste. You can use flowers, boas, whatever you like, just be sure you secure it with zip ties, glue, or both.
*Sitting on puddle- lights and clear plastic
Now you can set your angel (or angels) up in the yard. I used tent stakes to secure to the ground. You can use any kind of garden stakes to keep her in place on those windy days. Of course if you're keeping her inside to enjoy you don't have to stake her down, you just find a good spot to place her. Plug her in and light her up and stand back and be proud of what you created...and be ready for people to ask where you got her!!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away

• Jewellmartin

This is so pretty I can hardly stand it! I had never heard of floral mesh or puddle lights, but they are already on my online shopping list. If I could find a large clear ornament with glitter, or add my own, do you think I could put some lights inside? Best wishes 😇
    • Selena75

Awesome idea!! I'm sure that could work great! You can find floral mesh in any craft store or dept even at Walmart. The puddle lights are just outdoor Christmas lights arranged randomly in a "puddle" and covered with clear painters plastic to keep them in place. It illuminates fantastic at night! Not to mention doesn't cost much😉
  • Gloria Bennett Edwardson

What are the measurements of the wings? I'm probably going to have to order them.
    • Selena75

19" across the set and 15" tall. I got them from the costume section of dollar tree but have seen them in dress up section in toy departments. Happy shopping!
  • Pat147906

What did you form the wings out of. ?? This is beautiful Idea.
    • Selena75

They were fairy wings in the costume dept of dollar tree. I outlined one with feather boa and other 2 with garland. Hope you make one and have fun!!
  • Desiree Orkies

What did you use to form the wings?
    • Selena75

In the costume/dress up for kids section of dollar tree I got fairy wings and outlined 1 with feather boa and garland on the other 2.
  • Nun22924365

How could I use your idea for Christmas tree 🌲
    • Karen

use white lights and string the tree with green garland

• Selena75

You can use any color lights you light to fit with your decorating theme. There are several types of garland that will work, even the kind that looks like tree needles. Zip tie in place (be sure your lights are peaking through). You can even zip tie ornaments on it and a topper. Just be sure if going outside everything is waterproof and remember things will fade in the sun!
    • Shelba Davis

Outdoors have been using a tomato cage tree for over 20 years. Very simple to make. Tie the "legs" of the cage together with a piece of wire. This is the top of the tree. Wrap the cage from top to bottom with garland. Don't skimp on garland as the density is what makes it look real. Then wrap lights from top to bottom. Just make sure the plug end is at the bottom. If your garland is dense enough,you will have to do little securing of the lights. Then decorate as you wish. As this light weight, make sure you anchor the tree if used outdoors. You can use either the tall or the short cages or both.
      I then bag and store my whole tree for the next year, just changing the decorations a bit each year. People still think they are live trees.

• Donna

Love your angels. So excited to try making one. Thank you for the tips
    • Annandale

Great idea. Thank you.
  • Rachel

what height cages did u use. Very pretty.Does the material hold up in the cold and snowy weathjer
    • Selena75

I used 42” cages but I’m thinking about 54” next time. The mesh would probably hold up Especially if covered with painters plastic (or using an outdoor fabric instead). We have rainy/windy Christmases here on gulf coast of Texas and they dried out & held shape all season. I may have tried putting a layer of plastic over the dress as I made it or even a clear rain poncho if we got snow here.
    • What if you sprayed it with the kind of waterproof spray you use for deck furniture.....perhaps over the top of a starch spray to hold it firm. Just brain storming here.......
  • Fiona

what can you do if you live in a place where there is actually a winter? those lovely things would not even survive the first snow storm/freezing rain
    • Selena75

Good question...maybe using artificial snow fabric for dress or covering each in heavy clear plastic. Hope this helps
  • Ava

I Googled Floral Mesh from your link and it turned out to be large wire mesh. (We call it wire netting in NZ).

This doesn't look anything like what you've used for the angel's dress, which looks more like polyester or similar? Can you clarify please. Cheers
  • Bsb403657

What did you use to shape the Angel wings?
    • Cha

I used two regular wire clothes hangers. Just place them sideways with the top hanger piece overlapping and secure with a tie. Then just wrap silver metallic garland around the hangers and voila! you have beautiful, sparkling angel wings.
    • Nancy Wilson

The $1 Tree has wings that will probably fit nicely for this project and all you'll have to do is attach them to the angel's body.

• Selena75

Nancy is right. Can also find them in little girls dress up dept of toys and in Halloween costumes. Mine were called “fairy wings“ on the package.
  • Cha

What are the best outdoor solar lights and where do I buy them?
    • Selena75

I got lucky and found them at king dollar. I ended up replacing with electric to make them light brighter and longer. Recently I found some good ones on Walmart.com being clearanced. I believe amazon has some too! They last 8 hours at least on full charge...
      , Esky brand solar string lights
  • Ava Rush

Is there a vedio for this project
  • Tony Pezzo

WOW, this is amazing!!! I would like to maybe use this in my light show at my church. There are currently 4 trees and could be replaced with these. Where did you get the angel wings? Here is a video of my light show... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KxNq4QGthU
    • Selena75

amazing light show by the way I love it !!!

• Selena75

They are fairy wings from the dollar store. I’ve seen them in little girls dress up Department of toy stores and in costume departments

• Nancy Van Horn

How do I get the full directions and materials listing for this. Every time I try to print, it only shows the side bars? Help!!!! I want to do this with my young grandchildren.
  • Ann mozingo

Why culdnt you use bought fairy wings from dollar tree and just add a little more?
    • Selena75

That’s what I did...one edged in feathers other 2 in garland. They came plain white no embellishments.
  • Shirley Dailey

Where are the angels arms
  • Cynthia Black

How big is the ball or Styrofoam ball used for head
  • Cynthia Black

How tall are tomatoe cages
  • Jo Thomas

I know with the Santa one's you poof your mesh around it. But this doesn't look like it takes as much so how do you make the dress?
    • Selena75

I just tried different ways to wrap the cage with the mesh then added garland in different ways/places
  • Car3926397

I have also seen a tree made with tomato wire for Halloween . Do you have directions on this?

• Selena75

I’ve only done the angels but for the trees would be just wrap with lights and garland then add decorations. For Halloween I havent seen but would like to!
    • Pammie Corbit Krause

I do the trees at Christmas. First wrap with lights and then I wrap with cheap shiny garland. It takes a set of 100 lights to do one and usually 2 strands of garland. I then place a red bow up top. When Christmas is over, I just store the lights and garland and use the tomato stakes for my garden.
    • Ginaad

I made Halloween trees. Some I wrapped with purple lights then green spider web. Also orange lights with white spider web. Also glued sticks on tomato cage and covered with spiders,web, and bugs. lights, spider web and critters I got at $ tree.
    • Mamabear318

I have done the halloween tree and LOVE it. Same process..I used purple lights, black garland, and a witch hat for the top. I added tbe halloween picks from dollatvtrer, Joanns, michaels, etc.
    • Artemis

I did the Christmas Trees this year and put a wooden snowflake (made with paint stirrers) on top. I just wrapped the tomato cage with the lights and it did take 100 lights to cover it well. I decided to go with the red tomato cages so it would still look Christmasy when the lights are off.
  • Carmen Garvey

what did you use to make the wings. Thanks.
    • Brenda Jones

They have "fairy" wings at Dollar Tree
    • Selena75

Exactly what Brenda said...dollar tree dress up toys. Right now also in Halloween costume section.
  • Carolyn Moon

What size ball did you use for the head and approximately how much garland did you use?
    • Selena75

18” ball and I got 3 different 6’ garland for wings and a couple 15’ garland for dress trim. That was to make all 3 angels and I had a lot leftover.
    • Den5093343

A ball can be used. Be sure to use spray paint designed for plastic to paint the ball.
    • ``````````WHAT ABOUT A PLASTIC PUMPKIN, SPRAYED WHITE !

• Rochelle Lundberg

Why not use a glass globe from a light fixture then you can put lights in it...I think I will have to make one to cover the well pipe sticking out my front yard

• Theresa Hall

how do you make the dress? is it layered?
    • Selena75

Yes they are all 3 layered differently. I used hot glue once I decided placement of decorative floral mesh.
    • Helenchamplin

How did you layer the 👗?

• Martha Lofton

yes I am in the makings of a tomato cage angel. I am using clear lights . how do I add the lights to the tomato cage where they will not touch the tulle? won't the lights melt the tulle if they get too hot? please answer ASAP . am in the process of doing the dress now. thanks

Marty Root

• Selena75

I zip ties them to the inside of the cage being sure they stick in not out. So far I have run them 8 hours a night with no problem.

• Ron Brown

You could have used LED lights. These give off NO HEAT so would not have been an issue.

• Kim

Do you have a picture of how you attached the head? I have an ornament to use but I don't know how to stabilize it on the top of the tomato cage.

• Selena75

What I did was use the tips of the cage. I glued the ornament hanger to the ornament, balanced that on the cage, zip tied the ornament hanger to the cage, then a lot of hot glue! I have had to fix it after being in storage all year. I hope I helped!!

• Kim

Ok perfect..thank you for replying. I am going to attempt one this weekend!

• Margareth Wlodarski

Styrofoam painted head can be pierced by cage prongs

• Dianne

How do you form the wings? Wire???

• Jeanne Martin

I would think a wire hanger would work well as they are a very sturdy wire. Just pull out and shape. Use the hook part to attach to cage.

• Selena75

I bought wings at the dollar store in toys. I bet wire would be great!

• Patricia Brannan

How do you weather proof the angels?

• Selena75

Everything I used is water resistant and I secured everything well with zip ties and hot glue. No problems 3 years in use and we have extremely stormy winters!

• Linda Thomas

Where do you find weather proof boas ?

• Sue

What are the angels standing on?

• Susan Billstone

I am not sure about how to use all those prongs at the top of the tomato cage. Do you stick then into the head?

• Carol de la Fuente

Very, very lovely!!! What a wonderful idea!!! She is so very beautiful!!!!!

• Alice

Beautiful!!! I will be making on for next Christmas

• Linda T

I think this idea would make great ghost for Halloween. Just leave the wings off.