Tanner Bell
Tanner Bell
  • Morristown, TN

DIY Concrete Tombstones

$10

Halloween is right around the corner and of course I have a DIY for you. Today we’re making DIY Concrete Tombstones. These are perfect to make for outdoor decor this Halloween. After my mom saw this one I created, she is now making a whole grave yard. Feel free to customize this DIY by using different cake pans, colors of paint, or anything else. Let’s jump into it.
diy concrete tombstones
Supplies : Americana Decor Chalky Finish Everlasting | Americana Decor Chalky Finish Relic | Rapid Set Cement All | 13×9 Cake Pan | Americana Decor Brush | Americana Decor Ultra Matte Varnish | Spoon
diy concrete tombstones
Step 1: Mix the Rapid Set Cement All by following the directions on the box.
diy concrete tombstones
Step 2: Spray your 13×9 cooking pan lightly with cooking spray to assure that the cement doesn’t stick
diy concrete tombstones
Step 3: Pour the concrete into the pan. After letting it set for a few minutes, you can write what you want in the concrete. I used a toothpick and wrote R.I.P. Then let it harden for an hour.
diy concrete tombstones
Step 4: Now base coat your tombstone with Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Everlasting.
diy concrete tombstones
Step 5: Let the base coat dry before moving on to the next step.
diy concrete tombstones
Step 6: To highlight your writing, take a small paintbrush and Americana Decor Chalky Finish Relic to paint inside the letters. 
diy concrete tombstones
Step 7: Now distress your tombstone with Americana Decor Chalky Finish Relic. I used a dry brush technique- you will want to dip your brush in paint, remove excess paint so that the brush is pretty much dry, and gently work it into the concrete. 
diy concrete tombstones
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Tanner Bell

• Carlene Williams Johnson

I love this idea! I don’t decorate for halloween but, I can see this idea being used for so many things! Thanks for your inspiration. :). Somebody mentioned as a stepping stone. It seems pretty thin. Would they break easily?

• Ljm317699

How do you get them to stand up?

I will be trying it. Thanks.

• Julie

I see that varnish is on the list of supplies, but no mention of it in the directions. Is this to be done at the end?

• Alice Smith

I like the idea... I've heard of making

Stepping stones using old pizza box's... I Love Halloweeny... They would make really nice headstones

But... They would be to heavy to store every year....

Love The Idea... Thank You...

• Jewellmartin

Alice, if you paint or carve cute pictures or sayings on the backside of the tombstones. Then stand them up against a fence or the house after Halloween. Ooh! You could use them for welcome signs for other holidays! Best wishes ☺️

• Erma

Nice !! Thank you.they look great !!