DIY Aged Copper Container Garden

$80

Create a quick and stylish container garden using simple galvanized horse troughs. You will be able to make this project in a weekend!
Hi Friends!
I have always LOVED gardening. I grew up in an area where home gardens were the norm and I love that folks are going back to their roots so to speak and digging vegetable gardens again.
When we moved to the Houston area, we chose to live in a wonderful planned community. We had three days to find a home and ended up finding a lovely home. The only downside is the size of the yard. Not a whole lot of room for a full on garden.

Lack of space, of course, is no excuse! Trying to figure out how to make a veggie/herb garden work was a bit tough. On our first try years ago – I built up landscape stones along the fence and filled the area with good dirt. It worked “OK” but at some point the roots would come into contact with the gumbo mud and that was all she wrote for my little plants.

I then had this wonderful idea!
Horse Troughs! This was it! I could imagine adding troughs as my garden grows over the years. After searching online and around town – the best horse trough price, you may ask? Tractor Supply Co. hands down.

We set the troughs up outside and painted each trough with about 3 coats of copper spray paint. *** I probably should have used a dark primer first but I didn’t.
After the first coat… it took about 2 1/2 cans per trough.
These babies hold a ton! For drainage purposes we took the cap off the back and used weed blocker over the hole to prevent clogging. We then added two bags of small gravel per trough.
I added more weed blocker material over the small pebbles  before I added the soil.
4 bags of soil per trough added and we are ready to plant!
To up the “has this courtyard been here forever?” factor – I aged the copper with this fabulous product.  I adore Modern Masters products. I used their gorgeous paint to give my sweet little piano a makeover (you can see it here) and I was excited to try the patina.

The product has simple to use instructions and I used one box for both troughs – I didn’t do this on purpose… my Hobby Lobby only had one box left at the time I did the project. I figured if I loved it, I would return and grab another box and add more patina. Yep, I LOVE it! I simply dragged the dark copper paint all over the troughs then quickly sprayed the patina solution. The sweetest compliment came from a friend who popped over to see the whole makeover and she thought I bought the troughs at a high end store. Woo Hoo!
You will also noticed that the troughs now have wheels! A quick trip to our local Harbor Freight yielded a great wheel selection. Cut two planks to the size of the container right inside the lip to hide them from view and add two wheels on each plank – kinda like roller skates for your trough.

Supplies Needed:
  • Horse Trough
  • Copper Spray Paint
  • Modern Masters Patina Finish
Wheels for mobility – optional

Till Later,
Joy

Joy

• Charlotte Cox

It gets so hot here in Texas. Does the metal cause the plants to over heat and die?

• Tina

My only concern would be metal leeching into the soil and thereby, the plants. I’ve toyed with the idea of horse trough gardens before, but that concern has always held me back. Do you know if this is a problem with this project?

• Kerri Willerford

Aren’t the troughs galvanized? If so I think a vinegar wash is necessary so the paint will not come off.

• Maureen

Great idea!! They look awesome!!

• Joan Stanley

If you need a lighter weight trough or container, use empty water/soda bottles instead of the pea gravel. I've used them for all my large containers to save soil and weight. It leaves them lightweight enough to move into the garage for freezes.