Maximizing Our Million Dollar View

$500
4 Months

We are in a forested area in Northern California. We always enjoy being outdoors and are always sitting in the front yard looking down at the river.
maximizing our million dollar view
At the end of the summer of 2015 I suggested to my husband that we needed to build a summer kitchen in the front yard, something permanent so we could get rid of our Harbor Freight canopies which we had to dismantle every time it rained, snowed or was windy. He said "Yeah, Maybe". Which in husband-speak is "I don't need any more projects." I bugged him again in December and January, then sort of gave up. I knew he could do because he is a genius and can build, fix and invent anything. In March he told me we should probably go ahead and order the lumber for the outdoor kitchen so we could get it started. I knew if I waited long enough he would finally come around.
maximizing our million dollar view
So we got our lumber and cement and went to work. (One of the portable canopies is still in the background).
maximizing our million dollar view
We put up the roof structure and the floor and we build a bar-type table to sit at and look over the canyon.
maximizing our million dollar view
We added a metal roof, a BBQ, a sink and our old kitchen stove. We put down some outdoor carpet and our outdoor kitchen was complete. We also added a fire pit but it did not show in any of the pictures Or so we thought.
maximizing our million dollar view
In October 2016 he decided he wanted to add a few more feet to the end of the kitchen, so we put more roof and floor on. Like everything else around here it is a work in progress.
maximizing our million dollar view
We also added a small refrigerator, some comfortable chairs, curtains and a new BBQ. Along with al my chimes that I love to hear when the wind blows
maximizing our million dollar view
This is the beautiful view we see each time we sit in our outdoor kitchen and relax or entertain friends. Sometimes it is so nice we hate to go in the house. I realize I am a little late in posting this project but we have been interrupted by several other projects around the house. We love it and my husband asked me "Why didn't we do this sooner?" I just smiled at him.

• Linda

Is that the Russian River? I love your view....it reminds me of a place I lived in, on the Russian River at the foot of the Maya Camas...Sonoma County, Alexander Valley.....beautiful!!! Nice job on your outdoor space!
  • Brian Batchley

Hi really nice , what's the footprint size of this project ?

• Diane Ochoa

Hi Brian, we started out at 8 feet by 10 feet. But then we decided to add an additional 2 feet so the BBQ would be covered by the roof, so we ended up at 8' x 12'. The additional had to be slightly angled at the end because of the shape of our yard at that point. We have a rock wall that goes the length of the front yard and curves around where the edge of the cliff is. Thank you for your kind words and interest in our project.

• Debra Snyder Hutchinson

Very beautiful I live in the desert on 2 acres and I’d love to have something like this in my backyard, where do you or did I miss the plans for this I see the materials needed but are there any actual plans?

• Diane Ochoa

Hi Debra and thank you. Actually there were no real plans. My husband and I have been building different things for years. We usually pick a spot, figure out how big we want it and I draw out the plans. What we end up with is usually a little different than what we started out with. We are always making changes as we go. But if you need some help I would be happy to assist any way I can from long distance. Good luck, I'm sure you can get exactly what you want.

• Hope Rainwater

I love this❤️ Great Job!!! I used to live just outside of Redding Ca. ( Oak Run Ca.) I had Shasta Mountain Views it’s Beautiful up there. But I’m back in my home state of Indiana but I live in south eastern part now so I get to wake up to this. So in a way I’m still there....

• Joanie

Me again!! You got yourself 1 SPECIAL hubs. You already know that, I'm sure. You better be at his beckon   call girl!!! lol. I love that view.....WOW!! I bet your house is awesome too!!

• Diane Ochoa

Thank you. Yeah he is pretty special, I think I'll keep him for another 46 years. The house is pretty rustic, we have been working a little at a time on that too. Here is a telephoto pic from the hiway about 800 feet down the mountain, and across the river, the house is on the right, you can't see the ground floor, and the outdoor kitchen on the left, that was prior to the 2' addition we put on to cover the BBQ. Thanks for looking.