Thrifty and Chic
Thrifty and Chic
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Asked on Mar 14, 2014

Will painting these cabinets depreciate the value?

Terra GazelleMelinda LockwoodLinda Crandall
+100

I believe these are knotty alder cabinets and the kitchen itself is only 6 years old. I really want to paint these cabinets white but am afraid the value will go down. I think these are higher end cabinets, but I'm not really that sure. I just don't want to ruin something that may be super good or if I should just go ahead and paint the darn things already :) Any help on the value of cabinets would be much appreciated!! Or if you think painting them will help or hurt the value
q will painting these cabinets depreciate the value, diy, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Should I paint these or keep them natural
Should I paint these or keep them natural??
30 of 92 answers
  • Jill

I don't care for the wood look. If it were mine, I would paint them, because that is what I like. But, it's your kitchen. Do what you want.

• Regina

Those cabinets are beautiful. I say DO NOT paint them and get black door knobs and drawer pulls. The paint won't hold up well unless you sand, prime, and use a high grade oil based paint. That will run into a huge expense of time and money. Then, what if you don't like them? If you must paint something, paint the island black. The window really does need a colorful valance or Roman shade--something with black in it.

• Andrea P

If you watch trends in decorating, you will notice that just when you get your home done over to use some of these trends, expensive decorators come up with something else that immediately dates your work. It's done to keep selling you stuff. I like the look of painted cabinets when done well and when it looks well with the general age and design of the kitchen. However, if you have nice wood cabinets and just want to paint them to "update", I think you will find that a year or three down the road, that wood cabinets will come around again. I've seen so many things in home decorating, (and women's clothing) come in and an out of fashion that I've learned to do what I like and forget about keeping up with the constantly recycling of design ideas.

• Linda

leave as if shows up the grain in them

• Funnygirl

A lot of wood.Would consider painting several cabinets and leave some natural- that seems like the newest trend.Choose cabinets that look like separate pieces of furniture or,all upper or all lower cabinets.Look on line to get a better idea of this new trend

• Cathy W

Suggest "White Oak Stain", A charming way to keep the wood -look. This will brighten up and "modern-zing" your kitchen. Paint will make them look too "heavy". (Love all the cabinet space!)

• Home on Hidden Oaks

I'd paint them. You said it yourself, you want to paint them. It's your home, and you are the one who needs to enjoy them! Plus, I think painted is more beautiful and more valuable these days.

• Annette Davenport

Great hardware would definitely help their look.

• Rumari73

To respond to your question, yes, painting the cabinets will depreciate the value, and more if you don't do it right, I tried one time and ended up just replacing the whole kitchen. Is a lot of work to remove all the stain, you have to remove all the doors, use a spray gun to avoid the strikes of the brush, etc...since they are fairly new, I would suggest what others say just add hardware & backsplash, if still not satisfied you could always do something to the doors, a different color trim in the center or just replace them.

• Karyn Roesler

Please do not paint them! With the trend of chalk paint and painting stuff-too many people are covering up beautiful wood-I think painting is for ugly wood you want to cover. I agree some nice hardware, and maybe a beautiful tile back splash. Put some light color on the walls-it will be lovely!

• Cynthia Hudek

I agree with Karyn Roesler! Paint walls and add gorgeous backsplash.

• Funnygirl

Upon review,I have to agree you should start with a backsplash first.A black arabesque tile would pull in all your black appliances and black countertop.the next step should be a window treatment.I love the rattan/tortoise roman shade or a co-ordinating stripe or maybe burlap!Then decide if any painting of the cabinets are needed.I am suffering from a total oak kitchen with leaded glass inserts and it is just all too too much! Not to mention little animal ie.raccoon rabbit tile for my backsplashes!

• Linda

@Funnygirl Sorry about the small animals on the tile that might be hard to overcome. Do you have any ideas?

• Thrifty and Chic

Thank you all for your overwhelming response! I think I have decided to go the non-paint route for now and paint the kitchen island, paint the walls a different color other than beige and add some hardware. Oh, and change out the blinds to something brighter. I think this may help in brightening up the space without having to worry about painting. ...and if that doesn't do it for me...the debate to paint or not to paint will continue :)

• Lisa

Excellent decision!

• Wanda Stivison

Personally, I don't like knotty pine. It seems more like a utility wood. I would want to paint. If they were a light maple or a mahogony, then it might have been a different story for me.

• Linda

Great plan to start with the walls, you will be amazed how changing the boring walls will give you a whole new look. I think you are on the right track, hardware will also make a big impact.

• NANCY

I HAVE BEEN REMODELING FOR YEARS, PUT YOU MONEY INTO A BEAUTIFUL BACKSPLASH AND PUT A DARKER PAINT ON THE REST OF THE KITCHEN. NEW HARDWARE AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT WILL MAKE. NEVER PAINT OVER CABINETS, IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL, THE REAL WOOD CABINETS IS A PLUS. WHATEVER PAINT YOU CHOOSE, THE NEXT PERSON WILL NOT LIKE. KITCHENS ARE THE FIRST THING PEOPLE LOOK AT. YOURS IS BEAUTIFUL, JUST NEEDS DRESSIING UP. GO TO A TILE PLACE WITH A PICTURE OF YOUR CABINETS AND GET SUGGESTIONS FROM THEM. GOOD LUCK

• Michele Eures

I would paint. It's not a very pretty wood with all those knots and it has a country look that contrasts with the modern look of the counter tops and appliances. http://www.aledman.net/white-kitchen-cabinets-how-to-painting-antique-design/how-to-paint-traditional-kitchen-cabinets-in-white-color/#image-1

• Cheryl

I agree with Michelle. I don't find all those knots attractive, and would be racing to cover over them. Isn't the idea to love your home while you live in it, rather than to be concerned with what the next owner might like or not like? Unless, of course, you plan to move soon, in which case why bother anyway? I've found that no matter what you like, new owners are bound to come in with their own ideas on what they like, and they very well might come in and say "Love the kitchen space, but these terrible cabinets must go!" regardless of what you do or don't do to them. So make yourself happy. By the way, you don't necessarily have to get involved in a lot of messy sanding. I covered my cabinets with a coat of oil-based Kilz, and then painted them with an oil-based paint, and they withstood kids ramming into them with walkers and ride-on toys, etc., and looked great for years. And I never regretted painting them.

• The question is, "What is the value to you?" If you want white kitchen cabinets, go for it. Life is too short to settle.

• Wendy Johnson

I luv wood.

• Ellen

Those are beautiful wood cabinets! I agree with another poster - do a stunning backsplash & a soothing wall color, maybe a simple window treatment. Add some interesting pulls to the cabinets & I think you'll love the kitchen again.

• Debbie

You could just use a removable classy "cover up" for the main panel in the door such as a removable wallpaper or something. Then you wouldn't see the knots, you'd have a new look and can go back to the old when you tired of the cover up. If you have a friend in real estate, you could also ask him or her what the trend is, how it would affect the value if you paint the cupboards, etc.

• Terra Gazelle

They do not look too high end..they are not very tall..and I do not like the knots. Maybe paint or stain the top and leave the bottoms as they are? White would not look right though with that color of the bottom cabinets. I think you should do what you love..how do you really want it to look..go for it.

• Wanda Stivison

I would paint paint paint. That's what I am going to do with my cabinets.

• Susanroy36

I think you should paint if that would make you happy. How long will you live in the house? If you do a good job and pick a nice color (white or grey?) then prime and paint, and enjoy. You will keep your value if you do a good job. After all, you may be trying to sell to someone who doesn't like the rustic cabinet look either? You need to love YOUR house. After all, you are paying for it! The issue that I think may be bothering you is that the "knotty pine" look is more rustic and then you have granite counter tops that are sleek and dhic. I think you go for it.

• Shizette Parker

dont paint them! :P

• Linda Crandall

When ever you make a choice to paint such lovely pieces you can run that risk. Right now, painted cabinets are all the rage. I have clients ask me what happens when everyone falls out of love with painted cabinets? I suggest when people are on the fence about painted cabinets, but just can't talk their way into doing it, to stain the cabinets into a darker Java color. This way, if you ever change your mind, you can remove the stain by sanding and then proceed to what ever makes you happy, including paint. I myself love painted cabinets but paint does not do justice to all kitchens, which is why we darken with stain in those cases. The good news, if you paint them, they can be stripped back to the wood using paint strippers. If you are using a grade of paint like General Finishes, you will have no problem. If it's chalk paint, it can do damage, I have seen it happen over the years of painting chalk is pourse and collects grease more than a regular paint will. In the end, it's only paint. If you don't like it you can correct it, I always tell my clients do what makes your heart happy. That is my professional opinion. :-) Hope that helps you out. Bests, Linda @ Hello I Live Here Blog - check us out on Facebook or here on Hometalk :-)

• Melinda Lockwood

If you are looking for a change, paint them. If you think you may change your mind down the road, give them a coat of shellac first - it will make stripping the pain off much easier (should you decide to "unpaint" them).

• Terra Gazelle

They do not look custom and the cabinets are only the value of if you like them... you can make the cabinets beautiful with paint. Make sure you prepare then correctly and if you are doing chalk paint do not seal them with wax..use Polyacrylic...wax melts in heat. People will use chalk paint on their cabinets and seal them with wax and wonder why they streak and get sticky. Use a matte poly and you will get the look of the chalk paint.