How do I fix a really bad installation of French doors?

I paid for this job before I had completely inspected it. Big mistake! There are no stops on the frame, there's a 1-1/2" gap between the doors and when they're "closed" they don't match up by about 1/2 an inch. In other words, the attachment on either side is about 1/2" off on each side of the frame. Also, the hinges are attached to the outside of the doors instead of on the door edge. I could have done a better job myself, if I'd had the tools and the knowledge!

  7 answers
  • Big lulu Big lulu on Nov 18, 2017
    I would get the owner of the company that did this and have him come and take a look. Most people want to have satisfied customers. They want good references for more business.
    How did you find your installer? If they won't fix it then you should report them to the BBB.

    • Sunnie Joy Sunnie Joy on Nov 18, 2017
      I got them online through Home Adviser and it was the owner that pushed the workman to complete the job in too little time. The workman had no idea what he was doing and a friend of mine was here to supervise, but she didn't realize what he was doing.

  • Sharon Sharon on Nov 18, 2017
    If this is a licensed contractor, I would file a complaint with the State Contractor's Licensing Board. Then contact him to fix his error. If not licensed, I would contact and tell him if he doesn't fix, you will send complaints and bad reviews to BBB, Yelp, Angie's List and Houzz. Accompany with pictures of the defects.
    Unfortunately the only other recourse is to take them to Small Claims Court, take your pictures of all the faults, and also an estimate from a "licensed" contractor to fix the damage including replacing the doors if damaged.

  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Nov 18, 2017
    Is it too late to stop payment on the check? Did you pay by credit card? If so, you can call your card company and ask that they "reverse the charges" as the job has not passed inspection.

    You could bring in another contractor to fix the mess and then take the original one to small claims court to recoup the cost of fixing. No lawyer needed for this!

    I can't advise you on a fix as I just can't picture what the issues are in my mind. Photos could help.

  • Kay Kay on Nov 18, 2017
    Hi Sunnied, you need to contact the company, @ speak to the boss. Get him to come out, @ have a look, so he can see what job they have done. Tell him you are not happy with his company's marksmanship @ you wan't him to rectify it ASAP. Tell him the work should be guaranteed. If you still have trouble, goe to your local council, and ask to speek, to somone from there planing @ bilding department. They are well knowledge in this area, @ will be able to give you expert advice. Maybe someone in that area from the council could speak to the company on you behalf to? Good luck. Kay Adelaide Australia

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 18, 2017
    Speak to the owner or upper management and state your displeasure ove the job their worker did and have him see the work in person. If they are not help, Put a complaint into the contractor board, BBB, the business website and if they are on Angies list or any other of those type web sites for getting work done. Let everyone know the shoddy job they did. Let the owner/management know you will be doing this if the job is not corrected to your satisfaction. Their reputation is their business and they don't like those black eyes being spread about them.

  • Kay Kay on Nov 18, 2017
    I am just commenting only! NAB bank in Australia, told me, recently, they could only help me with a payment made, via my Via or Credit Card, if the goods were not received. The work was carried out, Sunnied received something for his money. Even though the work was not carried out properly, In Australia we have an organisation called Consumer affairs, you can goe to them @ they will help you sort out any disputes or complaints you may have with consumers or companies. I am not sure what's in place overseas. Regards to all. Kay Adelaide Australia

  • Kay Kay on Nov 18, 2017
    As I live in Australia, at the time of comenting, I was not aware you have a claims court where you can goe to fix disputes with consumer's companies. overseas. Many thanks for your understanding. Kay Adelaide Australia