Jennifer Maker
Jennifer Maker
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Make a Glitter Globe Atop a Mason Jar

$5

Move over snowglobes! I've got an even better idea -- a glitter globe! And let's put it atop a Mason jar! The best part of this idea is the glitter stays in the globe, not on you AND you get to fill the Mason jar with goodies. This is perfect for all of those "gifts in a jar." Of course, you can also make this as a snowglobe jar! I'll show you how to make both.

For the full tutorial, please visit
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
First, gather your materials. You'll want to get clear plastic ornaments (the kind that come apart in halves) and make sure they are the same size as your jars. I found two sizes of jars and two sizes of ornaments, and they fit perfectly.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Put the lid on your jar and make a note of the where your lid is when it’s fully screwed on. Mark the front point with a pencil. This is useful if you’re trying to match up a decoration and/or bow with the front of the jar.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Remove the jar lid and trace it on a piece of paper.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Cut out the paper circle you traced. I used gold glitter paper for the glitter globe jars and white cardstock for the snow globe jars.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Glue the paper to the top of the lid.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Transfer your pencil mark to your paper to identify the front of your lid.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Glue whatever decorations you want to appear inside your glitter globe or snowglobe, paying attention to where the front of your lid is (which you marked earlier). I used a red sled, little Christmas tree, and tiny presents for my snow globes. My glitter globe has a tiny pink rose. You can  learn how to make the paper rose here.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Pour a good portion (maybe 1/8 of a cup) of faux snow or chunk glitter into the center of your lid, right on top of the decorations. Try to keep it centered in there as much as you can for now.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Open your clear ornament so there are two halves. Note that there’s a little plastic tab. I recommend you put that either in the front or the back of your jar, as it will look nicer.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Put hot glue around the outer top edge of your lid.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Press half of one clear ornament into the glue, making sure it is centered on top of the lid. Press and hold for a minute while the glue cools and sets.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Glue and tie decorations around the rim. You may or may not want to hide any glue that formed at the edge where the plastic meets the lid, depending on how neatly it went on and how much you used. If it got messy, the ribbon helps to hide it.

Tip: To tie a bow so it looks pretty, tie it from the top as I’m doing in the photo below—this encourages the little tails to hang down, instead of at weird angles.

make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
Fill up your jar, screw on your snow globe or glitter globe top, and your’e done! Here are the finished snowglobe jars! I put cotton balls and candy in these.
make a glitter globe atop a mason jar
And here's the finished glitter globe jar! I put bath salts in this one.
Jennifer Maker