Easy Electrical Outlet Cover Tip

2 Materials
Do you have outlet covers that are the outdated almond color?
I found an amazing product that I am super excited to share with you that will fix mismatched electrical outlets and electrical outlet covers.
When we moved into our 1970s home there were several things that needed updating. One of the needed updates was the electrical outlets and covers. I prefer electrical outlets and covers in white, however our house had the outdated almond color. I bought several white outlet covers and installed them over the existing almond colored electrical outlets.
Regardless of the way they looked I was adamant on having white outlet covers so I was willing to live with the look. Then on a visit to Home Depot (of course it happened after I purchased a 10 pack of the other outlet covers) the heavens opened up and I found this amazing product!
A decorator wall plate.
These outlet covers create a uniform, modern appearance and save time on labor. Instead of having to uninstall and unwire the old outlets, then install and rewire new outlets these covers fit right over the existing electrical outlets. These retail for around $2.25 each.
I have tested them on several outlets and I have had no problem with plugging in a cord.
I am so excited about this product and we will be replacing all of our old covers will these. Such a quick and easy project to get rid of an eye sore in our house.
Here are a couple other projects I made to fix other eyes sores in my home.
Here is how to cover up tissue boxes. Bless You Wooden Tissue Box Holder .
Here is how I made my kitchen conversion chart more appealing. Check out the Kitchen Conversion Printable and Plaque.
Thanks so much and I hope to see you over at Dream Design DIY,

Suggested materials:

  • Decorator wall plate   (The Home Depot)
  • Screwdriver

Tiffany from Dream Design DIY
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Frequently asked questions

Have a question about this project?

3 of 17 questions


Join the conversation

5 of 224 comments
  • Kitty Kitty on Aug 17, 2019

    Us females? Let’s not further limit ourselves. Smart people, female and male, hire a licensed electrician to do these jobs.

    • Kate Kate on Nov 29, 2020

      The wiring is simple. First.... Turn off the electricity! Re wire and it’s done. ( Still think these are a face.....)

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 27, 2020

    I see that the original question for this posting is dated in 2016.

    Choices in outlet features and covers have improved considerably since then.

    If you are wanting to upgrade the look of your electrical outlet covers to the squarish style then I would recommend that you go the extra step and replace the entire older box with one that has usb charging ports integrated.

    Square outlet covers where the screws are hidden are also available now.

    These are often referred to as Decora covers. These fit both electrical outlets and rocker style (as opposed to toggle style) light switches.