Jewellery Stand From Recycled Materials

$5

I made this stand for one of the elderly ladies that I look after at work. She has been using cups and boxes to store her jewellery but she can never find them when she wants them. And they are usually all tangled up. So I made her this stand to display her jewellery.
jewellery Stand
My materials for this project like all my others are from recycled wood and furniture.  This was a leftover piece of a corner unit that I was given and the pole is an old support beam off a chair.
I started by drawing my circles with a compass.  My large circle is 24 cm and the smaller one is 14 cm.  I cut my circles out using a jigsaw.  I am not very good at cutting perfect circles by hand, so I always cut mine about 2mm outside the line.  I then use a sander to sand them up to the line so I have a clean circle.
I used a 120grit sand paper on my sander to remove all the old stain and varnish.  Then I stopped and realised I was wasting my time because I was going to remove the inside wood.  I wanted to have a small lip so the jewellery did not fall off. I used a router and a large cutting bit to remove the inside wood.  I found it easier to start in the middle and work my way out.  Once I got to the line, I tried to take my time and keep it as close as possible to the line. I was not to worried about the bottom because I was adding some felt.
To smooth out the bottom and the sides I used my orbital sander.  For the smaller one I used a sanding wheel because my sander would not fit into the hole.  I used some cardboard to cut a template for the felt that would line the bottom.  I stained and varnished the pieces.
To strip the varnish off the pole I used paint stripper, but would recommend citristrip it works much better, but I had run out.  It took longer to strip this pole than it did to make the hole project.  But that is the downside of building for free.
Jewellery Stand
I found my center of my circles and drilled a hole slightly smaller than the nut that fit on the bottom of the pole.  I mixed up some epoxy resin and filled the hole then very gently tapped the nut into the hole with a hammer.
I used my cardboard template to cut my felt and glued it down to the base.  The bottom of the pole screwed into the nut.  For the top I drilled a hole in the center for the screw to come through and cut away some of the felt so I could glue the top down. The top pole was just a piece that I cut off the pole.  I found the right sized screw and cut off its head. I drilled a pilot hole in the top of the post for the screw and used it to attach the pole to the glass door knob.  I added some curtain hooks to the top and my stand was complete.
Jewellery Stand
Jewellery Stand
To see more of my unique jewellery storage ideas

40mm Clear Crystal Glass Door Knob Cabinet Cupboard PHardware Come...

Unique Creations By Anita