Asked on Apr 9, 2014

Old Safe.....Now What?!

JohnTipperFaith Evans
+149

Like the crazy I am... I bid successfully on this old safe that hasn't been opened because the combination is long since missing. Now what do I do with it ha ha ha.... open it? Resell it as is, restore it.... make it into a bird cage?? :-) HELP!
Pretty cool looking I think
Should I touch it up a bit?
Really like to old coloring
I don't know if I ever want to open it. It seems so cool to let your imagination run wild as to what may be inside....
I want to stop and rust but I do like the way it looks. I need someone to guide me on this one so that I don't ruin it!
  • Kathy Smith
    Kathy Smith

hve a locksmith open it you may find a treasue in it

• Pamela Knott
    Pamela Knott

In my estate sales, we call this a boat anchor because it doesn't unlock. However, I would see if a locksmith could open it. Safes are cool things to have! You could always use it for storage. It looks pinkish, is that true?.

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

Call it what you will Pamela knott, and I am not sure why you troll posts to make negative comments (I look at a few of your comments elsewhere). What truly matters is that I like it and will have fun doing something with it.... and besides I like to fish, ha ha ha! But you have a wonderful day anyway, I truly mean that!

• Teri
    Teri

Can you tell at all if something is inside? I just had a idea if it was mine I would try to get it open and if I did I would put dirt inside and plant some kind of flowering vine and use it as yard art.Oh my head now is full of ideas what I would do. :)(And what's inside). lol

• Donna Conrad
      Donna Conrad

@Redeemwood I would somehow open it, too. If you can't - perhaps, a welder might be able to do so. Then, if you refurbish, it would make a cute little cabinet or accent "table" on wheels for books to place on a shelf inside, and a darling lamp on the top, or a vase...or even a cushion as a storage bin/ottoman of sorts.

• Lisa
    Lisa

I would look up M.H King to see who it might have been. Also there's a # on the top that looks like 655,which I would think it was labeled in archive somewhere. J.Baum safe & lock co. In Cincinnati O. to see what era this might have been. I wouldn't do anything until i found out all the info that I could on it. It's a nice piece of furn for show and a communication starter for one thing.

• Becky
    Becky

Why not start a contest with the grand kids? The first one to open it gets.... Make a butcher block for the top of it and you have a truly one-of-a-kind side table. It is an amazing piece and I would have been over the moon to bid on this and actually get it! You are very blessed with this piece of history.

• Michele Eures
    Michele Eures

Your mission, should you choose to accept it,....lol

• Bret Hollenbeck
    Bret Hollenbeck

I wouldn't change the outside at all, take it to a body shop and have a few coats of clear sprayed on it, or you can do it yourself with a clear lacquer. It will stop the rust and keep it looking just like it is for many years.

• Kara Spurlock
    Kara Spurlock

I love the safe! I would def try to open it! Restore it , then turn it into a mini bar! Let's us know your outcome!

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

I put a call into a safecracker and am waiting his response. I don't want to drill and damage the safe so I am hoping that they can do the old stethoscope safecracking technique.... :)

• Niki Hart
    Niki Hart

I would try to remove some or all of the pink, use some sealer to stop the rust and make an end table out of it. What a wonderful conversation piece! More than likely it is empty, but the mystery would remain! You could check with a locksmith, but the cost might keep me from opening it, plus loving the thoughts and conversations it would spur!

• Sarah Manning-Sharrett
    Sarah Manning-Sharrett

As a family genealogist @Redeemwood I would love to know the history of the safe!! Was it in a bank that was robbed? Was it in a business? Might find some interesting tidbits to share with visitors besides just seeing what is inside!!

• Lucy Fraser
    Lucy Fraser

I would have to know what was in it! Although I did get burnt purposely once with a jewelry box with secret compartment lol but it was fun! Id find a old fashioned thief, lol. Then Id close it back up and sell it to some one else with a curious nature! Good luck!

• Joanna Carrisal
    Joanna Carrisal

It is definitely a conversation piece. I wouldn't do anything but clean it. If you can get a locksmith to open it that would be awesome. You could possibly have the lock reworked and store pistols and ammo in it.

• Pop
    Pop

Hello: I take rusty tools etc. and clean off any loose rust and wire brush them. I use red transmission fluid heavily and then rub it down untill just the shine is there. Non oily and will not rust. As for opening the safe, find a local rehabilitated safe cracker...Good luck..Mike aka Pop

• Cynthia Serrano
    Cynthia Serrano

Blow it up! :-)

• Roxanne
    Roxanne

Just clean and display it..really is a beauty!

• Kenny24
    Kenny24

Touch it up and make it a side table.

• Sheri Janeck
    Sheri Janeck

Name: M H King Company #6 Street: 1455 Main Street Gooding, id 83330-1838 Phone: (208) 934-4461

• Larry Lou
    Larry Lou

I really hope you do try to find out the safe's history then go from there. If not do get a safe cracker and go for it. Best of luck to you, keep us all posted :)

• Susan Jordan
    Susan Jordan

Put it on elevated legs and turn it into a bar..

• Car316352
    Car316352

I would have to see whats in side..how could you not? Then preserve it

• Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck

Not sure what you mean abut a bird cage, hopefully not one you intend to put a bird in. Those metals are dangerous and would kill a bird, It would be to heavy for a cage anyhow, but I may not be following the train of thought you are. I love it, as is, and would maybe use it as a side table. Dont think I would cut into it, but maybe go to a lock smith for this type of thing,

• Sara Glenn
    Sara Glenn

cant you remove the hinge pins?

• Michelle Vizzo Dalling
    Michelle Vizzo Dalling

Call a safe cracker

• Rosie
    Rosie

I'm sure Wyle E. Coyote would buy it

• Janieac
    Janieac

Make a wonderful base to an Island

• Karen Brown
    Karen Brown

Can it be opened by removing hingrs, etc. Clean it up somewhat and you could put shelves inside. Might be surprised at what is inside. New treasure. If you do open it, let us know what you found

• Denise Deschamps
    Denise Deschamps

If you decided to open it, let us know what's in it!!!

• Thea Moskos
    Thea Moskos

call a locksmith, ask how much

• Pam W
    Pam W

sit a beautiful plant on it

• Thea Moskos
    Thea Moskos

see if it has a serial number and google it

• Kimberly
    Kimberly

I would take it.. Tell my kids we inherited it and not open it at all. Boy would they go nuts trying to figure out whats inside. You can drill a hole and put a camera inside to see what's there.

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Kimberly I actually thought about doing that Kimberly! I am a bit ornery that way!

• Londa Barth Fulton
    Londa Barth Fulton

find a locksmith that sells this type of safe. They just might be able to open it. Could have a treasure inside

• Kimberly
    Kimberly

What if there are deadly chemicals or a old body? lol

• Suzi Hickman
    Suzi Hickman

I don't think I would clean it up too much. Maybe lightly use some steel wool to get the worst of the rust, but leave the worn look and maybe wax over it. I would want to retain the original paint on it. But DEFINITELY open it. There may be some antique papers in there you could display as well.

• Suzanne Fragiacomo
    Suzanne Fragiacomo

Clear coat and use it as end table! Really cool find!

• Patty Reisz
    Patty Reisz

Even if you can't open it, I think it would look really cool - restored - and a really cool antique table lamp on top.

• Kathy Huntington
    Kathy Huntington

Gee, we have a safe with the same provenance. Ours was owned by a coin dealer, and no combination. Do you blow it open, sell as is, or I like the idea of a table base!!!

• BMack Aka Crazy Legs
    BMack Aka Crazy Legs

I love the way it looks.I wonder what is inside? :)

• Diana Letterman Baker
    Diana Letterman Baker

It would make a good paper weight!!

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Diana Letterman Baker Only if you never wanted to get to that piece of paper again Diana.... :)

• Ginger H
    Ginger H

Found this info online. I think it would be beautiful in its patina'd condition. Just wax it really well pop a wood top on it and use it as a table lamp or a entry table. Beautiful find. J. BAUM SAFE & LOCK COMPANY (1916 to mid-1920’s), Cincinnati, OH. 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, St. Louis – Participant – Dept. D., Group 41, #0827, won a “grand prize” for their display at the exposition, (NOT any particular safe). The J. Baum Safe & Lock was organized May 26th 1916 to succeed the Baum Safe Company, established in 1893 to succeed the Warth-Baum Safe & Lock Company. J. Baum bought out all Warth’s interests in the company in 1903. Warth-Baum Safe & Lock Company was organized around 1870. The predecessor company was the Warth Safe & Vault Company. It was reorganized AFTER the founders death December 17, 1915 to incorporate and honor his name. However, my recent research indicates that the company WAS doing business as "J. Baum Safe & Lock" prior to the 1916 date. It may simply be that the company had NOT "Incorporated" until that date! At a minimum WHAT we do know is that your safe would have been built AFTER the 1908 "patent" date, and before the company closed in the mid 1920's. What we need to do now is to try to narrow this date down somewhat for you. The "A. F. Anderson & Co., Los Angeles" was probably just a distributor or sales agent.

• DA
    DA

Imgur.com LOVES safes! Make sure to post pictures over there and they will guide you! They just really want to see what is inside!

• Alma Williams
    Alma Williams

Omigosh, curiosity would kill me! Get a locksmith to open it posthaste. :) Even if it's empty, it now has a function. I wouldn't do too much with it; just clean it up, don't mess with the vintage finish, maybe wax over it? I love it!

• Ginger H
    Ginger H

Don't know if this will work but, curiosity would make me try it. http://www.ehow.com/how_6247244_open-dial-safe-combination.html

• Carolynm
    Carolynm

A professional locksmith can open a safe, without doing any damage. I would then cut a stencil for the lettering and refinish it. and reapply the lettering. ( I worked in a 100 year old company where a safe hadn't been opened in 25 years a a Norlock employee opened it, reset the combination and wrote it down for us.)

• Carrie
    Carrie

I would have to open it, and yes redo it!

• Jeanne
    Jeanne

Dont you want to see if there are treasures in it ? That must be kinda heavy huh. Nice coloring on it

• Susan Gayle
    Susan Gayle

Definitely open it before selling it. Old safes often had tons of asbestos in the walls, so be careful if you think you can hammer it open. Not! It is probably worth the locksmith drilling it and then the new owner can have a new combo put in it if they want to. My Dad was a locksmith for over 60 years and when he passed we had several old safes to deal with. One had old ammo in it, so you just never know.... Just be careful, as you never know what lurks in old locked safes.... :)

• Kathy Nichols
    Kathy Nichols

Cool end table as is!

• KatieAnn
    KatieAnn

looks like a pretty good boat anchor.....

• Terri Brodfuehrer
    Terri Brodfuehrer

have a locksmith drill it open.. shouldn't take much since it's so old. I think it looks cool just as is.

• Rose Marie S
    Rose Marie S

I would keep it the way it is and see what a locksmith would cost to open it. It would drive me crazy wondering if anything was in it and that if there was if it was worth anything. I would definitely keep it in this antique condition. Other than waxing it with a

• Wendy
    Wendy

Open it then put a clear coat over it. Write a letter from your family and seal it back up

• Robin Mericle
    Robin Mericle

Gosh curiosity would drive me nuts. Lol

• Becky
    Becky

BLAST Man!!!

• Faye Spiers
    Faye Spiers

If you do open it please let us know if you find anything interesting in it.

• Rose Marie S
    Rose Marie S

I would be trying to find a way to open it, like a locksmith. The curiosity would get the best of me. IMO I would probably keep it the way it is, after a good cleaning, perhaps a special wax to highlight it's vintage stage. Would make a good conversation piece with a piece of glass or mirror covering the top.

• Rich Jennifer Atwood Reihl
    Rich Jennifer Atwood Reihl

Get that thing opened!

• Teri
    Teri

I'd have to get it opened! LOL I would probably wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any loose dust, etc. and then seal it to keep it from rusting further. If you love the looks of it as is, why refinish it? If it's antique, may be best to just wax it rather than putting on some sort of poly coat.

• Laurie Meier
    Laurie Meier

we have the same safe, and to get it open you will need a stick of dynamite. there is no easy way to do it for the way they were made back in the day! Good luck!!

• Jo
    Jo

Open, clean, then put a piece of glass on top and admire!

• Larry Anderson
    Larry Anderson

Re - sell it. Moving it will be a bear.

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Larry Anderson Not really Larry..... A bear would be much easier to move than this old man, suckers HEAVY!!!! :-)

• Sandra Parker
    Sandra Parker

Have you given it a good topple to see if it sounds like it contains anything? I would somehow get it open without causing any damage, then jusy clean and wax it......it's beautiful. Did you pay a ton for it? Would love to get my hands on a piece like that at an auction!

• Barbara williams
    Barbara williams

I would sand blast it then ponder what I do ..probably look up safes on the internet and copy the one I like...cool I will be happy to buy it..cheap of course lol

• Jeff Hawkins
    Jeff Hawkins

Maybe it was taken out of service properly. Try turning the dial to the left about 4 times and stop on '50' then turn it back slowly and you might feel it 'drop in' at somewhere between 25 and 75. Continue to the right to open. If that doesn't work but you feel a bump or something between those two numbers (25 and 75) rock the dial slightly on each side of the 'bump' and it might drop in. Continue right to open. If that doesn't work. Try it again by turning to the right about 4 times again stopping on 50. Turn back toward 75 to 25 trying to feel the 'bump'. If it stops it's probably unlocked. You could paint is but I'd just clean it up unless I wanted to actually restore it with the original color and lettering.

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Jeff Hawkins I will try that Jeff. Is that the standard way of taking a safe out of service? I had never heard that but then I don't know anything about safes.

• Brenda H
    Brenda H

I think it's a really cool piece. I'd try to clean up a bit and seal with poly. I would def. try to find a locksmith or search your area for someone that restores items such as this and they may be able to help get it unlocked without a lot of damage. Good luck with it.

q old safe now what, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I found this photos on the Facebook page of Matt s Antique Safe Restorationq old safe now what, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I found this photos on the Facebook page of Matt s Antique Safe Restoration
  • Mary McNamara
    Mary McNamara

end table and leave it alone ,maybe some bees wax

• Stephanie George
    Stephanie George

Do you know if anything is inside? I'd have to know...lol

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Stephanie George I tried to shake and listen like you would a Christmas present but it was too heavy.... LOL!

• Barb M
    Barb M

Why don't you contact the Cincinnati Safe Co. and ask if there is a way to know the com for the safe that they made? http://www.doubleasecurity.net/safe_inventory/J.BAUM/J.BAUM.htm

• Judy4justice
    Judy4justice

You could Google this for images and how to's on opening it.I would have to open it!!May contain some piece of priceless memorabalia,directions to where Jimmy Hoffa's body is,etc.LOL

• Kim D
    Kim D

I hope I see you on world news when you open it and find it contains a fortune! In the meantime, paint it, like in Brenda H.'s photos!

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Kim D I have a call into Geraldo Rivera, I am thinking this is right up his alley... :D

• Judy Martin
    Judy Martin

yes try to get it open!! also I would not mess it up with paint, just clean up ...put glass on top & save it until open....old safe maybe worth a few...cents... either way it a neet piece.... do try to open it some how check it out on line also

• Lori Dunkel
    Lori Dunkel

Maybe I am the only one...but I think you leave it just like it is! I thinks it's beautiful!

• Janet Blakely
    Janet Blakely

First Who was M H KING ? Then I would Find someone who can open it, and then and only after being sure that there is no Historic Value to this would I ever Dream of Changing it in any way.

• Candy Risner
    Candy Risner

end table, it is really cool!

• Brenda Specketer
    Brenda Specketer

I'd have to try to get it open -- curiousity would kill me!

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

OH MY! Full of gold coins I am sure! Please keep us informed of what you find inside. Somewhere on the outside of the safe there is an ID number. Get that number and call the manufacturer; they will send you a form to fill out and then they will give you the combination. Hubby bought a "Sentury" safe and this is how he got it opened. He still uses it. If it is an old one, you can find a locksmith that deals in this type of work.

• Margaret M
    Margaret M

Open it...heard about a month ago a man bought a safe in a storage auction and was going to just throw it away but decided to pry it open first and it was filled with old cash! (Sorry don't remember exact amount)

• Buy a fancy cabinet to display it in...

• Linda Batchelor
    Linda Batchelor

I would leave it alone and put glass on top and use it for a table

• Nona Foley
    Nona Foley

I would lightly sand it and use it for a table...

• Wes Normandin
    Wes Normandin

A good locksmith should be able to open it without damaging it.

• Carole Spahr
    Carole Spahr

Bore it

• Linda Pettit
    Linda Pettit

My Dad has one of these built in the basement wall and his lock messed up. We called a locksmith and he opened it for $25

• Robin Gilbert
    Robin Gilbert

Cut the back open! Put wheels on the bottom, shelves in it and store stuff in it!

• Dale Mckibben
    Dale Mckibben

I would HAVE to know what is inside ! I wouldn't repaint it, I agree add a top and make it a side table.

• Leah Johnson
    Leah Johnson

we had such a safe given to us without the combination.. looked almost like the one above.. we had a friend who is a locksmith get it open and put in a new combination..and we had a safe.. It was so danged heavy we had to keep it in the garage on the cement floor as was too heavy for the house...but we did find a couple valuables in it when it was opened...

• Teresa H
    Teresa H

Love the wheels!

• Sandi Peck
    Sandi Peck

M. H. King was possible the same person who founded King's Discount Stores in 1915 in Burley, Idaho and has 26 stores in Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. It looks to be a portable floor safe, probably late 1800's or early 1900's.

• Mariann Tausch
    Mariann Tausch

I see a fantastic end table!!!!

• Pamela Knott
    Pamela Knott

Did you ever get it home? They are extremely heavy and that's usually a story in itself!! It usually takes a wrecker to get it home. And the wheels don't turn, only roll back and forth. I wonder why they did that?

• Jeff Hawkins
      Jeff Hawkins

@Redeemwood I take it the former owner left an actual combination on it then. Sorry the other didn't work but that is a nice enough safe to have it opened and repaired professionally.

• Kathy Smith
    Kathy Smith

get a lock smith to open it that way you can do what you like with it

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

Darn........ Safe Cracker had to cancel for today.... He will be here Monday morning!!!

• Lucy Fraser
    Lucy Fraser

The suspence mounts! Too bad my brother aint still alive itd be a snap lol!

• Vikki
    Vikki

I can't wait to hear what's in it! Meanwhile I agree with most. Clean it up a bit then seal. Great end table.

• Carrie
    Carrie

@1 result is available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.redeemwoodI am in suspense also. Did you ever find out what's inside???

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Lucy Fraser ha ha ha, I think I have almost worn the dial out. I actually wrote down some numbers that I thought I could feel.... I am having a blast with this... even if it is empty its worth all the fun!

• Carrie
    Carrie

@Redeemwood Well Happy Birthday early. Maybe it will have a nice birthday present in it for you. With my luck it would have counterfeit money. Lol! Good Luck.

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

Ok!!! The NEW scheduled day of Safe Cracking is this Friday April 25th starting at 9am Mountain Standard Time. I have no idea how long it will take or if it will open because he is a self described "Old fashioned touch and feel" safe cracker... Loving it!!

• Lucy Fraser
    Lucy Fraser

Enjoy...It would make me crazy but happy too! lol...

• Kathy Smith
    Kathy Smith

what is in it or havent you fuond out yet?

• Kathy Smith
    Kathy Smith

@Redeemwood where did you get it to strt wth?

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

See above...opening this Friday "I hope"! I got it at an auction a few weeks back.... its been a scheduling nightmare to get a safe cracker here!

• Carrie
    Carrie

I agree, I would still keep it anyway. I think it is awsome.

• Lucy Fraser
    Lucy Fraser

Well I hope your GRAND OPENING lands you a wonderful fantastic valuable gift! Good Luck Buddy I am rootin for ya!

• Peggy Schmitt
    Peggy Schmitt

The suspence is killing me! Open it, not open it, open it, not open it. OPEN IT! If you lived in Missouri, I know a great lock smith that could open it for you.

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

The safe cracker was unsuccessful..... :( apparently a tumbler inside may be broken or something.... sorry folks but I am going in from the back.....I cant wait any longer.... stand back everyone!!

• Julie Sims
    Julie Sims

HOW FUN!!! Even empty, this is an amazing story to pass down forever!!!

• Julie Sims
    Julie Sims

As for uses...can't one get a new tumbler system? USE IT! These old safes where built to withstand anything, as you have yourself discovered!

• Redeemwood
    Redeemwood

Ok! I got it open (with some minor damage to the back side) I disassembled the tumbler and figured out the combination (that took me a couple hours as I am not a safe cracker). Nothing inside and the wood shelves were a little rough and the keyed door was without a key. I think I am going to refinish the interior with new wood and (one drawer and the metal keyed door are in good shape). This will probably be a great winter project,,,unless I just cant leave it alone that long :)

q old safe now what, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, By removing the back plate and the chrome center piece I was able to access the tumbles and figure the combination outq old safe now what, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, This is left after removing the old and somewhat damaged wood from the interiorq old safe now what, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I have even thought about cutting off all but 4 off of the safe Leaving just enough to create a wall hanging that also still allows the door and combination lock to function thoughts
  • Pamela Knott
    Pamela Knott

I love the inside color! Your idea of cutting off the front 4" so the whole front could hang on a wall would be so cool! One of a kind, for sure! But how do cut something like this? And how do you hang something like this?

• Lucy Fraser
    Lucy Fraser

@Redeemwood What a cool ending....Or beginning. And as someone mentioned what a great story to be passed down. Maybe you can write about it all your feelings the excitement all the things you imagined could be in it, etc. I dont know what you paid but the entertainment value alone, seems worth it! Thank you soo much for taking me on the journey with you. Let me know how it ends up looking so many possibilities. I think were it me I would find some paint to match interior red, trim it out just like it is in a yellow taping off the name in the front to leave it exactly as it is even the color around it. Id use it as a table leaving it so it opens as a conversation piece, leaving the story written inside of it. Blessings! Lucy

• Redeemwood
      Redeemwood

@Lucy Fraser I like that in life there is never an ending, only the beginning of a new adventure.... the same is true with the life of this old safe, it will soon embark on a whole new adventure!

• Carrie
    Carrie

@Redeemwood So glad you got it opened, love the little wooden drawer inside and so awesome that you could figure out the combination. Happy Birthday!

• Vikki
    Vikki

Too bad there was nothing in it but I still love it! The idea to cut all but 4" and make a wall hanging is definitely cool--but I think if save that genius idea for a less antique one. Maybe even a new one made to look antique & chippy. This one has history, the inside is so cool and would look fab refinished. I'm sticking with the table idea because it'll preserve the safe itself. Maybe add a beautifully stained and rough hewn wood top for a rustic look, or a glass top suspended about an inch up with some kind of risers--like gear pieces, and it'll become industrial chic. Either way works to me!!

• Kathy Smith
    Kathy Smith

if you got a lock smit bet he could of opened it ..lol

• Jim Jakes
    Jim Jakes

It's a wonderful piece! Anxious to see what you do with it.

• Starr Durrant
    Starr Durrant

I'm with Jim - I'm eager to see what you do. Might make a great family time capsule

• Leslie Hume
    Leslie Hume

definitely pay to have a professional open it so you don't break the combo. It's so cool and there might be a treasure in there
  • Lisa Mastrogiovanni
    Lisa Mastrogiovanni

If you do want to open it, safe companies can help. You can also ask them the value before you decide what to do with it
  • Alton Abbott
    Alton Abbott

spray the old safe with green hammered spray paint.
  • Faith Evans
    Faith Evans

Get a lock smith

• Tipper
    Tipper

Your not craze. I’ve done the same,

• Tipper
    Tipper

Have some strong pick it up and drop it. It won’t hurt the safe, but it will open.

• John
    John

There is a company in upstate ny that sales parts for old safes. They are probably very knowledgeable about antique safes. 518-271-0783

Good luck