Carpeted Stair Nightmare

$60

My husband and his family had lived in our farm house for over 20 years before he and I married. Nothing was done to the stairs except to add more carpet over old carpet. There was a hole in the awful and dated paneling. I decided that it had to be updated.
This is what it looked like before I started the project
See the hole in the wall - it had been there long before I moved into the house!
This is what it looked like when all the carpet was removed.
Tacks, staples and nails, I thought I would never get them all out!
I scrubbed the stairs and then started painting.
I had to tear the old paneling off and put in a few more 2x4's.
The stairs did not extend to the wall on one side, so I had to fill it in with 2x2's cut and painted to fit.
This is after the paneling is up, I still have some painting to do over the edges of the step risers where I had filled in with wood putty.
Next was to cut padding to put under the carpet pieces.  I did not want to deal with all carpet on the steps again, but had to have something so no one would fall down if they had wet or muddy feet.
Next I applied vinyl lettering on each step.  First the parents, then the grandchild/children that belonged to each.
The final one - and my project was done.
The last step was to paint the 2x4 at the bottom of the stairs.  My husband was not sure he liked it at first, but decided it did look much nicer than the old carpet. 

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!

• Michelle Gosselin

I just did the same thing. Came up with just plywood under. Yuck. I love your results, looks like you have a nice big family. Lucky you. I would love to find those carpet pieces. Perfect solution for me. Where did you get them? I have never seen anything like that. Mind you, I am in Canada. You guys have so much more selection when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks for having the patience to photograph every step as you were going. [No pun intended ] Geez....

• Michelle Gosselin

• Terri Sejnoha Behl

Thanks for the kind words. I did find them at a local Big Box Hardware store, Walmart. I do not know if they have that company in Canada. You could order online. They are called stair carpet treads.

• Michelle Gosselin

• Lifestyles Homes

Let us know how the vinyl names wear over time. I’m always surprised at how the risers get scratched up by shoes.

• Sherry Miller

Wow what a difference. have been in this house for five years and I think the carpet on the stairs are from the fifties plus many dogs in the mix. It is just nasty. You have inspired me so it is time I get on it. It will be scary just pulling up that carpet Thank You