Make Decorative Planters Using Supplies From the Dollar Store

$15

Often, I'll see something in a store that I know I can make using things from the dollar store. That was the case with these planters. I made three of these at the same time, because I like to display things in threes, but that's just me. Even one of these planters makes a lovely accent piece, or you could make several to give as gifts.
You will need square glass vases, enough potted faux succulents for each vase, mini stones, decorative sand and large stones with inspiration words on them. I found these inspirational stones some years ago in Dollarama but I noticed they've started stocking them again. They come in sets of three.
To begin, put a layer of decorative sand in the bottom of each vase. You can use whatever colour(s) take your fancy; I just happened to have this green sand on hand.

Next, place the potted succulents in the middle of the sand and nestle an inspirational stone in front of each pot, making sure they are held upright between the glass and the pot.
Then just fill each vase with mini stones until the top of the pots are covered and just the plants are showing. So easy and down the road, when you're tired of looking at them, you can reuse all of the materials for other projects!
I enjoy having this decorative trio in my home. They look great when set side by side.
Or give one as a gift. Might make a good teacher's gift. Teachers must have faith and hope that they're making a difference in their students' lives and believe in their students' abilities.

If you give one of these as a gift, make sure to pack it so it won't tip over. Remember, nothing is glued down here!   

See another incarnation of this idea and more easy-to-do decorations on my website: http://www.dollarstorestyle.com/threeeasypieces.html

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Marlene

• Janie Stewart
    Janie Stewart

Love this project . So easy & affordable . Could you use real plants ?

• Cynthia Whitney
      Cynthia Whitney

Have to have drainage for real plants. A layer of rock at the bottom would work. Could use air plants. Also this would be a good way to use up all of those candle jars that are too good to throw away after the candles are used up.

• Gen33727370
    Gen33727370

I love real succulents. I recently bought a lot of small aloe Vera plants. The article stated aloe Vera plants are very good air purifying plants in your home. I believe NASA even backs this up. I know rocks make good drainage but I have never had good luck without a a drain hole in the container as well. Does anyoneone have suggestions on how to drill a hole in all my beautiful pots without breaking them? I e never understood why they make plant pots without a drainage hole. Hmmm

• Tamara
      Tamara

With aloe plants, which don't require a lot water anyway, & also most other succulents, why would you want a drain hole? With a hole comes the mess & a catch plate. Just don't water heavily. That's why you can use cool containers with succulents, they don't need a drain hole.

• Kathy
    Kathy

Hi,

I love this idea & I have a round glass flat-bottomed bowl & will use this with a Jade plant which is in a small planter, I have the rocks & also have blue decorative glass marbles. This is a great idea and will incorporate it when my kitchen is done. I will put it on my desk that is next to a garden window.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathy

• Kathy Kovacev
    Kathy Kovacev

Very cute and easy to do.