DIY Marbled Easter Eggs

$15

Add a fun marbled affect to a simple Easter egg that will make it stand out from the rest of your traditional Easter decor.
diy marbled easter eggs
Spring Break is in full swing at our house. My goal is to keep my children busy outside especially since the glorious Spring-like weather has hit our area of Texas. I decided to edit an old DIY project (please visit my blog to see the shaving cream toddler art tutorial), and this version is the perfect outdoor creative activity with Easter around the corner. My children helped decorate today's eggs, but please keep in mind that this DIY is very messy and requires adult supervision/possible takeover. 

Just in time for Easter, I hope you enjoy making this DIY by yourself or with your children.
diy marbled easter eggs
To make your own DIY marbled Easter eggs, you will need:
  • (affiliate link) Paper Mache Eggs, I used these from the Heart & Hand collection by Magnolia from Target.
  • Shaving Cream
  • Gel Food Coloring
  • Squeegee or something with a flat surface like a ruler.
  • Disposable Pan
  • Kraft Paper to keep the surface below the eggs clean, and to hold the eggs as they dry. (affiliate link) I like this version from Amazon. 
  • Painter's Tape to secure the Kraft paper to the ground.
  • Paper Towel to clean the shaving cream mess off the squeegee, and to clean the extra shaving cream off the eggs.
  • Plastic Knife to make a design.
  • Plastic Gloves
  • As with all projects involving toddlers: PATIENCE.
diy marbled easter eggs
*Please make sure that your children do not swallow the shaving cream. Ensure that they thoroughly wash their hands after this project is over. 

Step 1: Secure the kraft paper with painter's tape to a dry area outside. 

Step 2: Spray the shaving cream into the disposable pan until the bottom is evenly coated.
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 3: Once you have an even layer of shaving cream, start to apply the drops of food coloring into your shaving cream. For food safety, be careful not to touch the tip of the food coloring with the shaving cream. For this reason, I keep two sets of food coloring in the house. One set for my crafting and one set for my baking.

This is where you and your children can have fun. Place the food coloring droplets sporadically throughout the shaving cream. The more food coloring you add, the stronger the pigment will be on your eggs. You can decide to use all of the colors like we did, or keep your color palette to one or two colors. Do what your creative heart desires!

As you can see, my son had a lot of fun with this part. 
diy marbled easter eggs
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 4: Once you add the food coloring take the plastic knife, and start to run the colors together to create a swirl effect. You can choose to skip this step if you want a splotchy affect. 
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 5: Once you have achieved the desired color mixture, put your gloves on and roll the paper mache egg into the solution. 

Set the covered egg onto the kraft paper. 
diy marbled easter eggs
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 6: Use the squeegee to remove the shaving cream from the egg. Use your paper towel to remove any excess shaving cream from the squeegee. 
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 7: Carefully pat the egg with a paper towel to remove the rest of the shaving cream from the egg. Be careful not to add too much pressure since the paper eggs are wet from the shaving cream. 
diy marbled easter eggs
Step 8: Repeat the steps over until you have added the marbled affect to the rest of the eggs. 

Step 9: Let your eggs rest and dry. They will take about an hour to dry.

Step 10: Once your eggs are dry, you can fill your eggs with treats or simply enjoy them for their unique beauty!
diy marbled easter eggs
diy marbled easter eggs
Elizabeth at Country Peony

• Diana Nina Schmidt

I do not shop at target store so where can buy the stuff I need ??? The reason being that store do NOT Respect our veterans and will not let Salvation army bell ringer’s ring the BELL !!!!!

• Jeannie

Diana, since I do not know the date you posted this, I will just say, you are of the right mind. Big box stores like this as well as Walmart do not treat their employees well regardless of the employees' Civil Service Status. It is their policy that no employee work over 35 hours, so as to avoid having to pay benefits. I have also been made aware of an unspoken or written policy that no physically handicapped person shall be hired for any position at Target.

I cannot speak for the validity of that policy. It was just told to me by a former employee friend.

I would like to say thank you for standing ground on those issues.

• Paul Frohman

Wouldn't smooth surface styrofoam eggs work as well?

• Bbunny42

I don't understand the purpose of the shaving cream. Is it just to provide a "base" to hold the color gel rather than have the gel run all over the bottom of the pan if there was no cream?

• Suzan Rayneene Black

Can can you do this to just a regular egg

• Lala Loopsy

I tried with regular eggs but they are harder to work with and you don't get as good a result. What's REALLY neat is making marbelized paper using the same ingredients..

• Diana Nina Schmidt

• Jeannie

Yes, I would try this idea with my grand and great grand children!😘