Patricia
Patricia
  • Danville, VA
Asked on Mar 26, 2018

My rhododendron split in the middle at the bottom from heavy snow help

LsherbachJlnattyPJI12277322
+8

q my rhododendron split in the middle at the bottom from heavy snow help
  • Tinyshoes

You might take some string and try to tie them together if they are not completely broken..if they are I would just remove the broken part.
  • Lsherbach

I would cut away any dead or broken branches. bring the separates limbs with string...keep a watch on that because you don't want to further injure the plant by strangling it.
  • PJI12277322

they are soo hardy you could probably separate them and get 2 plants
  • Jlnatty

Prune down the height and width a bit to slightly reduce the weight and tape the two separated parts together by intertwining innermost branches together and taping. I use painters tape because it's easily removable and easy to work with. Just use enough tape to make your "repair" sturdy enough to hold up to rain and wind for a season. "Frog" brand tape comes in a green tone, it would blend in. At the end of the season clip the tape off. I've also used tall stakes driven into the ground and then twine wrapped around several times to form a sort of "cage" to hold the split parts of a shrub together. The twine eventually disintegrates if it's made of natural material and isn't plastic-based.
  • Lsherbach

Yahoo