Best way to get rid of Nandina plants?

+15
What is the best way to get rid of Nandina plants?

• Heavenly bamboo. They are a "clumping" variety, you can just dig them out. Keep as much of the rootball in tact as you can.
  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 31, 2018
    If there are leaves, get a product that is a ground clear. It kills everything around it, maybe even the rocks! Then, get a can or cup and put some of the ground clear in that. And get a small foam brush and brush the ground clear on the undersides of the leaves, being careful not to spill or splatter the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the ground clear to the roots and kill the entire plant, but nothing around it. This works for anything you want to get rid of, like poison ivy and poison oak, etc. Good luck with this.
  • Sayte Holland McComb Sayte Holland McComb on Apr 01, 2018
    Or you could dig them up as mentioned above, and send them all to me! I love the variations in leaf coloration, the fact they have leaves year round with the pretty red berries around the holidays. Drought resistant, fast growers.
    • See 1 previous
    • David David on Jun 08, 2019

Those pretty red berries are full of cyanide and if hungry birds eat them they will die. I was given this information by an Audubon evaluator assessing my yard for backyard habitat qualification. I wouldn't think the berries would be good for kids.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 01, 2018
    Pot them up and sell or give them away for free, Someone will want them - I know I would if I lived near by........
  • Christy D. Assid Christy D. Assid on Apr 02, 2018
    Offer them on nextdoor.com, to anyone willing to dig them out.
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 02, 2018
    Most home improvement or hardware stores carry it. Home Depot carries it. One brand is Ortho and it says "Ground Clear Vegetation Killer" in big letters on the front:) If there aren't any leaves, then cut a hole pointing towards the ground about 1/2 way into the stem and using something disposable, pour the ground clear into the hole. If you have the bushy type, then give it a good spraying on the top of the plant and inbetween the leaves. Good luck with this, I understand Nandina is pretty persistant:)
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 02, 2018
    Here's an amusing site about the Nandina plant, and new ones that you may like. If you like the one you have, put it in a planter so it won't spread! https://www.southernliving.com/garden/grumpy-gardener/just-try-to-kill-nandina
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 02, 2018
    Just about any Home Depot, Walmart or home improvement store should carry it. I think the brand is Ortho and it says on the label in big letters Ground Clear and Vegetation Killer. It's in a black container. If your plant is bushy, you can spray the top of the plant and/or the middle. Not soppy wet because anything underneath that gets wet will die, too.
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 03, 2018
    If you want to give them away, you can put them on Freecycle.org or Trashnothing.com. Of course anyone who wants some should be the ones digging them up. I have dug up so many plants for people to come and get them and they never did, and the plants almost died. I gave them to others and put the no-shows on a list and they weren't offered anything else from me. Freecycle and Trashnothing are sites where everything has to be free. It's free to join and they area all over the US.
  • Martha Martha on Feb 09, 2019

Kill them. Turns out they kill birds: Cedar waxwings, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird ... Who knew? http://ar.audubon.org/news/nandina-berries-kill-birds

• Nunya Bidness Nunya Bidness on Apr 25, 2021

It's not a pesticide. It's a herbicide, and it only runs into the groundwater if it's right next to a source of water.

As far as killing birds, that's what Nandina berries do. They have cyanide in them. When a bird (or any other animal) eats them, the cyanogenic glycosides in the digestive tract produce hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide is toxic in as little as two milligrams per kilogram of body weight.

• Juliette Madere Juliette Madere 2 days ago

Anyone thinking about planting Nandina or giving it away, please do not! Be aware that Nandina is highly invasive in the Americas and is extremely harmful to birds and wildlife. It's also next to impossible to get rid of, so try not to introduce it to any new areas.