Looking for Lantern suggestion

+7
I found a really great tall chrome and glass lantern in a thrift store which needs cleaning up and that's no problem. But, at the top. it has an opening of about 2-1/2 inches round. I'm not sure if something should have been there but if it something goes there, I'm wondering what can I slip in there to make the lantern look complete. I've looked at various lantern pictures and some have rounds that protrude upwards towards the handle, some have 'holes' so light can shine through... I'm not quite sure what to do about that but it could be fine without it once decorated. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Amanda Amanda on Apr 20, 2018
    Can you provide a picture?
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Apr 20, 2018
    Without seeing a picture, I'm thinking that the hole in the top is to allow heat and smoke (some candles do smoke) out. If you want to make it look higher and finished, maybe cut a piece of PVC pipe to fit. Paint and decorate it.
  • Thelma Thelma on Apr 20, 2018
    If it's a regular lantern, the opening is there to let the heat and smoke escape from inside the globe. Don't plug it.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Apr 20, 2018
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Apr 21, 2018
    perhaps cut a circle of screening or metal grating material, something heat resistant, but allowing air/smoke circulation?
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Apr 22, 2018
    If you feel a need to finish it, perhaps you could get the top of an outdoor light fixture at a thrift or Habitat store, drill holes for air, and spray paint it to match.