License Plate Garden Flower

$10
1 Day

Don't you love garden art? I've seen flowers made from old license plates and thought "I could make those" and now you can make them too.
I found these license plates at a flea market. You can also find them on Craig's list, Ebay, estate sales, and thrift stores. I purchased mine for $1.00 each.
I wanted my petals to be curved. I laid a small paint can on it's side (made sure the can was closed tightly) then I laid the license plate on top of the can and rolled the plate from from side to side applying pressure as the plate began to curve.
To make the petals, I laid a license plate on top of a piece of paper then folded the excess paper over the plate and creased it.
I cut at the crease then folded the remaining paper in half.
I cut out half a petal shape and opened the paper for a full petal.
I laid the pattern on the back of the license plate and traced the shape with a sharpie.
I cut out the petal shape using a tin snips.
For the center of the flower:
A: I cut one license plate in half then drew a circle onto the back of the plate
B: I cut out the circle using a tin snips then made cuts around the outside of the circle
C: I bent the cuts with my hands, wearing gloves of course :)
D: Laying the flower center onto a piece of scrap wood, I drilled a hole in the center.
Then I drilled a hole at the bottom of each petal.
I flipped the center of the flower around and added each petal onto the bolt using the holes that I drilled.
To hold the flower onto a stake and give it more stability, I used a metal electrical box cover. Laying the cover on a piece of scrap wood, I drilled a hole in the center then drilled two additional holes, one on each side of the center hole.
I threaded one cable (zip) tie through each hole on either side of the center hole (yellow arrows). Once all of the petals were in place, I placed the electrical plate onto the back of the flower. I threaded the bolt through the center hole (red arrow) and tightened everything with a bolt.
I purchased a plastic covered garden stake and bent the top, placing the bend around the bolt. I wrapped each cable tie around either side of the stake (orange arrows). I added one more cable tie joining the other two ties together.
I love the look of the flower and that I could recreate it myself for under $10. There are so many different ways to make this flower - just use your own creativity!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

• Tulsa Gwamah

Possibly. Only instead of flowers I am thinking along the line of pinwheels to keep the varmints out of my new flower bed so my new plantings will have a better chance of getting a good foot hold.

• Martha Anne Horning

Love this idea!