Curb side find! What would you do?

RitaChaBshane
+201

I found this in the curb this morning on my way to work. Needless to say I'm late :) does anyone know anything about this piece? What would you do with it? Paint? Restore/Refinish? Thanks!
Love the hardware!
Beveled mirror sites on top, in excellent shape!
  • Pepsigirl13
    Pepsigirl13

love the hardware. i think it is mid-century, at least based on top section & hardware. I think it would be great painted, with the same hardware painted in a contrasting color. i'm looking for something similar size with drawers to use as a sideboard in my dining room. what a great score!

• Alicia Gillentine Carr
      Alicia Gillentine Carr

Thanks Jeanne! I scanned it quickly for a stamp or label of some sort, but I didn't find anything. I'd live to know the manufacturer. The veneer is in pretty good shape, but I'm thinking paint...Thanks for your input!

• Meena M
    Meena M

Restore I would say

• Arkie
    Arkie

Check on the bottom of the drawers, sometime there is a stamp or name.

• Cathy Burns
    Cathy Burns

restore...paint no...let the beauty of this show through

• Leta R
    Leta R

Had one just like it in Ne!! Sold it to repurpose!

• Karen Rocher
    Karen Rocher

Yes, I agree. It is blonde and probably from around 1960 earlier/later.

• Mary Carper
    Mary Carper

Love this, paint her in a vivid color to show off her hardware after shining it up...great find!

• Jacque D
    Jacque D

Restore! Please don't paint this beautiful piece of furniture especially if the veneer is in good shape.

• Theresa
    Theresa

painting sounds like a good option and maybe framing the mirror to use else where

• Pam Lange
    Pam Lange

I would paint it. The hardware is awesome. It reminds me of car ornaments.

• Stephanie Thompson
    Stephanie Thompson

I say paint! Love the transformation thst paint can bring.

• Jacqueline W
    Jacqueline W

PAINT!

• Robin Smith
    Robin Smith

Where are you going to put it? Bedroom, dining room? I'm more into country, so I'd paint it black and change the hardware. But that's just my style. Oh, I'd stain the top, too.

• Alicia Gillentine Carr
      Alicia Gillentine Carr

@Robin Smith I'm actually thinking about making it a kitchen piece, or keeping it as a dresser for my son's bedroom. Right now, I'm just eyeballing it a lot :)

• Linda Stroney
    Linda Stroney

Yes I would paint it a great color, maybe dark so the hardware will show up good, that kind of furniture will last for another 50 years.

• LaVonne
    LaVonne

It looks like a piece from the early 60's. The hardware dates it. Definitely not worth anything or worth restoring. Paint it. It would be a great improvement. LOL

• Marsha J
    Marsha J

i say paint...i don't know why the veneer would come back to life....

• Paulette
    Paulette

Blonde wood 50's early 60's...my parents had blonde wood furniture. If it was me I would restore.

• Shirley P
    Shirley P

paint

• Michelle Hamill
    Michelle Hamill

I love the hardware too! I think painting vs. restoring is totally up to you and your style. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

• Linda J
    Linda J

Hardware is so cool. I would paint it.

• Diana S
    Diana S

Restore!

• Lynn
    Lynn

Late 1950,early 60s my great grandmother had one similar to it! It to had the unique hardware! Also in the blonde color!

• Donna
    Donna

a new look would be PAINT~ give it some life

• Donna Jones-Years
    Donna Jones-Years

1950's-1960's restore it

• Jo Ossiginac Emerson
    Jo Ossiginac Emerson

I'm pretty sure it's from the 50's since my parents had a blonde set and I was little. Blonde is so ugly definitely paint it

• Vickie Hartlaub
    Vickie Hartlaub

Paint love the hardware

• Sheila Haines
    Sheila Haines

It's definitely from the late 60's! It' MCM which is very hot and expensive now! Lucky find! Restore top and sides with med. Stain and paint the fronts. Restore original finish on handles if you can, those are priceless!! Or clean up and spray paint close to color. I would LOVE to have found this!

• Maria DiTondo
    Maria DiTondo

I'd paint in a high gloss. Handles are cool and kinda futuristic. I painted my grandparents blonde wood bedroom set. Looks great

• Jessica Phibbons
    Jessica Phibbons

Restore....Please.... it's gorgeous!

• Lily White
    Lily White

what a stunning piece.....I would absolutely restore it. Please! Paint? noooooo

• Jeanette Navarro
    Jeanette Navarro

Paint or restore is really all about your preference. I would probably paint it with Rustoleum transformations Espresso (it would look stained but very dark). Also, I would use it as a tv stand in the living room and hang the mirror on a big wall. Whatever you do with it, I can't wait to see the results and am sure it will be absolutely gorgeous! I also love the hardware.

• Patricia McJimsey
    Patricia McJimsey

Stain a warm oak and finish.

• Kathryn Fogarty
    Kathryn Fogarty

restore it the bassett furniture co made those bed sets in the later 50s

• Wanda
    Wanda

Restore.

• Sherry Eason
    Sherry Eason

leave it on the curb.. dont waste your money

• Laurie Meier
    Laurie Meier

i would paint and i love your shoes!!!

• Sherry. JUNKIN
    Sherry. JUNKIN

Interesting hardware

• TammyandBentley Stephenson
    TammyandBentley Stephenson

Restore it

• Lorri Piotrowski Kelley
    Lorri Piotrowski Kelley

milk paint it!

• Wendy G
    Wendy G

Restore. So love the era

• Rosemary Norton
    Rosemary Norton

Check inside the drawers for a manufacturer. If it is there you can often find like pieces on the internet. Blond was popular in the 50/60 and often the wood is solid and the piece heavy.

• Matty watts
    Matty watts

Beveled mirrors are high end . Your one lucky person .

• Linda Maglio
    Linda Maglio

Would it work as a big Screen tv stand?

• Rose
    Rose

I found one similar to yours. I sanded and stained the top and drawer fronts dark painted the dividing wood satin black. Used the old hardware also painted satin black. It is very masculine, my husband loves it.

• Nancy
    Nancy

DO NOT leave it on the curb. That is solid furniture. Some restore Mid Century and others redesign it. European paint finishes blog does a lot of this lately if you want to see what they do.

• Anna B
    Anna B

restore and update it just a bit.

• Salie Belue
    Salie Belue

Restore...thinking it's maybe art nouveau?

• Diane A
      Diane A

Not even close. This piece is more mid-century than turn-of-the-century.

• Christine W
    Christine W

Can't wait to see what you decide to to to it.

• L.Bird
    L.Bird

This piece is exactly like the two blonde bedroom suites my grandparents bought new in the mid 1950's. The hardware is great, it's so retro and this could be very neat restored or painted. I would definitely keep the hardware, you might have to use some fine steel wool on it but they don't make it like this anymore!

• Marty Burke
    Marty Burke

paint change hardware..

• Ann Leone
    Ann Leone

Clean it up and leave it in original color if possible. Otherwise paint.

• Michelle Holt McIntyre
    Michelle Holt McIntyre

I had a whole bedroom set just like that, 60"s veneer I think. Sand it lightly take top 4 drawers out put shelves in with glass doors... Oh yea paint desired color use the handles from the drawers on glass doors and use in a room

• Cyndy B
    Cyndy B

Wow what a score! My oldest sister had an entire bedroom "suite" of that blonde furniture back in the early 60s...tres chic! I'm thinking a chalk paint/wax combo to really make the drawers and hardware pop. Please share photos when you finish it!

• Karen Webster
    Karen Webster

Great find! I think anything you do to it could be wonderful. Maybe just stain and keep all hardware.

• Cindiwithaneye
    Cindiwithaneye

Definitely mid century, most likely 1950's. We had a similar set from my mom. Research "blonde mid century bedroom furniture". Drexel is often a mfg. P.S. - I painted our set, but keeping it original is the currently the popular thing to do.

• Michele Hendricks
    Michele Hendricks

It is mid century, don't change the knobs, these are very hot right now, because of The TV show Mad Men

• Den326765
    Den326765

I would say that is from the 1950's

• A.E. Zaring
    A.E. Zaring

I would reframe the beleved mirror and hang it on a wall~I would do the dresser in two tone stains or paint~beautiful pieces you found~

• Accentuations!
    Accentuations!

A wonderful mid-century piece...known as "blond" furniture at the time. I love the hardware...very spacey! I say...RESTORE THE PIECE! PLEASE--no chalk paint!! This would make a wonderful entertainment/big screen/storage piece!

• Marsha Jackson
    Marsha Jackson

I am not usually for painting wood, but this one is screaming for a neat paint job!

• Diane Ceccarelli
    Diane Ceccarelli

Diffentllly 50"s keep the hardward, maybe tourquise blue, black trim

• Nell
    Nell

Check for manufacture inside drawers. Looks like a great piece. Love the knobs also.

• Dana Rohde
    Dana Rohde

The hardware is so awesome! I'd love to see the painted an awesome color... A bright blue or lime green!

• Shellee Porter Mellor
    Shellee Porter Mellor

Media Cabinet!!! Repaint, move those awesome knobs to some other piece of furniture, remove the top drawers to make cubbies. Love this!

• Irene
    Irene

I think it is called Blond , My mom had a whole bedroom set like this and it was vaneer. Not sure that is what you found but sure looks like it ! I painted it a cream color and I made the mistake of using a clear coat but it did yellow over time.

• Barbara williams
    Barbara williams

Spend time on Home talk and Pinterse great ideas are born daily...I usually put the piece I am going to work on where I can just study it for awhile and then look at different furniture sites to see what people do...if your not worried about restoring back to original state which I wouldn't especially if your kinda edgy...I love the shabby but I like putting a unique spin too...good luck

• Josette-Marie Puch
    Josette-Marie Puch

I would strip it and refinish it in shiny "bleach oak" keep the hardware but not use the mirror. It's nice and very chic!

• Greta Swanson
    Greta Swanson

I would just strip and re stain. I have the same mirror in a darker stain. Nice piece.

• Jeani
    Jeani

Glass hardware. Dark stain.

• Sharon Jessamine
    Sharon Jessamine

Our suite was in a color called driftwood gray. Definitely early '60's. You might consider that color for a change in the look. The grooves in the drawers were black. I would do it in the gray with new Formica top in a speckled or "boomerang" print.

• Sheila Pfarr
    Sheila Pfarr

The reason you stoped , is because it is old and different I would just clean it and restore

• Kristy Mansfield
    Kristy Mansfield

If you want to "restore" it... Keep it natural and refinish or stain a blond stain. You could paint it a glossy black or turquoise to "update" a mid-century modern look. BUT NO CHALK PAINT! The mid century does not lend itself to distressed shabby paint applications ( in my humble opinion :)

• Patricia Brining
    Patricia Brining

This would be great for a double sink=It can be framed to keep the drawer fronts and frame the mirror with a matching beveled frame! It would make a gorgeous media center in colors to suit you= I would keep the pulls authentic! Look on hometalk and on pinterest for ideas before you start to save yourself redo time! Study your home to see what moves you! Have fun!

• Roy346555
    Roy346555

I have a dresser almost like this, I love it just as it is, just clean it up & use as is, the knobs on yours is nicer than mine. I love yours . my mirror was broke when my son moved.Wish i could find another for it. It's called blond.

• Susan Velon
    Susan Velon

I'd use chalkpaint on it. Painted furniture is the rage now and takes less time than restoration. Definitely paint it. Chalkpaint doesn't mean the piece is distressed. I have chalkpainted many pieces of furniture and haven't distressed any of them. It can be a real accent piece in a room. Glad you came to the rescue!

• Darlene Carson
    Darlene Carson

Beautiful...I would have stopped for it, I'd go gloss black drawers the rest turquoise and spray the hardware bright silver...great find can't wait to see it!

• Susan Haynes
    Susan Haynes

How Lucky for you!I can't wait to see what you do!

• Teri
    Teri

No question in my mind it's mid-century. Love Love LOVE the hardware and the detailing! Why can't I find something like that at the curb?? You have a GREAT find there. My first choice would be to stain it a light stain and put on a sealer if the veneer is in good enough shape for that. If not, then shiny paint, turquoise, rusty orange, red, lime or avocado green would be period appropriate color choices, black with a bright trim color would also look great. Very cool piece you've found. Would love to see it again when you're done with it!

• Laurie
    Laurie

The drawer pulls remind me of 50's era car emblems.

• Anenna Enborg
    Anenna Enborg

Oh yes. Paint it.

• Cheryl C
    Cheryl C

I love this! Yes, paint for sure. The knobs are "outer space" looking.... Oh the possibilities!

• Merry_sherri
    Merry_sherri

I have a similar bedroom set. It was from Kent Coffey, very popular designer at the time. If you look inside one of the drawers you might be able to find his name and the name of the style. Curious to see what you do with this, I've been thinking of stripping mine and staining it a dark color to match our bed (without the mirror).

• Jo Anne Johns
    Jo Anne Johns

Terrific find..lucky you !! Agree, take your time and get the right feel for what you think best..Pinterest and Home talk are great starting places for ideas..please keep us in the loop when you decide and finish it . You might check out some of the MCM web sites and see if you can find a similar piece..most are highly collectible these days and go for some hefty dollars..MCM purists would probably shriek if you painted it. Keep it original especially if you might sell it later ?

• Jack Day
    Jack Day

Regardless of the paint, KEEP THOSE DRAWER HANDLES! They are a perfect sign of the times when it was made- so awesome!

• Nancy
    Nancy

What a great find!! Oh the possibilities. Jealous !!

• Jessica Artz
    Jessica Artz

Sand and stain would keep the look better than paint.

• Susan S
    Susan S

would make a great bathroom vanity, and I'd probably, restore it, with a nice blond stain

• Helene Talbot
    Helene Talbot

You don't see many drawers so deep anymore. I'd keep it as a dresser and just paint it. Hardware is crazy nostalgic. Love it.

• Sandy
    Sandy

My parents had a dresser like this when I was a little girl! I was born in the 60's shhh

• Betty  Rueber
    Betty Rueber

New knobs and handles, strip and stain mini wax poly, it will be beautiful

• Lynn Lockard
    Lynn Lockard

looks like mid century...do NOT paint...use tung oil to bring out grain

• Lona Roper
    Lona Roper

I think the furniture style is called Danish Modern. They just don't make them as well as they used to.

• Kelli Blanton
    Kelli Blanton

1960's

• Sheri C
    Sheri C

Open the drawers and check for a plate, stamp or wood burned marking of the company name or logo, then you should be able to research on the internet and learn more sbout this great piece.

• Debbie Dean
    Debbie Dean

Also check for bed bugs

• Tracy Jo
      Tracy Jo

@Debbie Dean I would never have thought of that. Yikes, now I'll be creeped out buying old pieces. Do they really live in dressers too? I'm going to have to look into that.

• Cynthia Lynn Biddle French
    Cynthia Lynn Biddle French

Looks heavy!! Sand and light stain!!

• Kathryn Kibat
    Kathryn Kibat

first thing I would do is get rid of the knobs. OMG, I can't even believe them. Then sand and stain.

• Aragorn
    Aragorn

I would do a dark cherry or red mahogany stain(minwax)!!

• Desiree Ladd
    Desiree Ladd

Don't to a thing! It's amazing just the way it is. Just clean & refresh. What an amazing find!!!

• Sandra Raburn
    Sandra Raburn

I had one exactly like that. Sprayed it a metallic silver. Looks great!

• Kelsie Baxter
    Kelsie Baxter

My parents had this dresser, bought in '62 when they built their house, I would keep the handles and paint a larger matte paint, depending on what is under the veneer, might just stain the top only, have fun

• Carol
    Carol

Stain it a beautiful darkest red color. Keep handles. Love it.

• Sandi
    Sandi

Mid century modern. These are big bucks on Ebay! Keep original at all costs!

• Rit337361
    Rit337361

Don't get rid of the drawer pulls just clean them up they are so cool

• GR
    GR

This looks to be a mid century piece, I LOVE the handles and blonde wood. As others have said this furniture is very much in fashion, but loses value if it has been 'modified'. I refinish furniture for a living and usually end up painting most of it but I would do my best to restore this one. Having said that it's often hard to tell from a photo just how damaged a piece is and at the end of the day it's YOUR find and if you intend to keep it, it needs to compliment YOUR decor. Don't forget value is in the eye of the beholder and it's previous owner left it on the curb!

• 169756
    169756

Best part ARE the knobs :) Different strokes for different folks.

• Mary Cundy
    Mary Cundy

I think it has a veneer on it. I would sand lightly and paint. I am doing that now to another 1950 piece and they have veneers on them also.

• Anthony Irvin
    Anthony Irvin

My parents hand the whole bedroom suit. My aunt gave it to them in the mid 70's

• Ruth K
    Ruth K

I was going to say late 50's. Keep the handles...do the color to match where you want it. It is a beautiful piece. Good Find.!!

• Zippy
    Zippy

if you dont need it as a dresser, paint it something poppy in color, if you have room in your kitchen, put wheels on it, and use it as a rolling work island/storage. maybe either tile the top, or lay copper. its so pretty!

• Wendy Johnson
    Wendy Johnson

Great find. Look forward to seeing what you decide.Curious what do you think of the pulls? since people either loved or hated them..

• Karin From B'ham
    Karin From B'ham

The pulls are very "Sput-nik-y" and are indicative of the culture during the great moon race. Keep them with this piece at all costs! If you are a purist, keep the blond Danish Modern finish.....but I could see it painted lacquer black or one of the cool grays that are popular now. This makes me wish SO BAD that I hadn't ditched the early 60s Danish Modern bedroom suite I inherited from my parents!!

• Charliee Stockton
    Charliee Stockton

I adore the drawer pulls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lynn Donovan
    Lynn Donovan

Cant wait to see what you do. I would paint. Clean and refinish the pulls.

• Elise Carow
    Elise Carow

Love the knobs, the mirror and a silver finish on the body would be fantastic.

• Nora Q
    Nora Q

go crazy and paint it, but study it and decide what it wants to become...a dresser...sideboard...?

• Sally De La Rosa
    Sally De La Rosa

I agree with Nora. Be daring and paint it . Make it a fabulous piece.

• Lou Crabtree
    Lou Crabtree

I personally would paint it black and leave the handles as is would use as console or buffet type table in hall, dining area, living room, bedroom w/o mirror. If mirror wanted would use a different one . If hi end piece I might sell and make some money on it

• Lisa Morales
    Lisa Morales

I agree with Karin. The handles should be kept. I see it painted a nice dark gray and used in a boys room.

• Julie
    Julie

It looks like something from 60's or 70's judging by the hardware. That is my least favorite furniture period because I thought all the blond oak stuff was really ugly. My parents had tons of it!! The hardware looks like it is something that should be on an old car. It looks like the top is veneered, not solid. I hope you are able to turn it into something you love! The mirror is great!!

• Margaret Mielko
    Margaret Mielko

I would definitely restore it. It is a really nice piece

• Andrea
    Andrea

the blond 50's finish is "in" right now. when my in-laws went into assisted living, my 20something kids fought over the spare bedroom suite. This piece needs more work so painting would not be a problem. but DEFINITELY keep the hardware!!!!

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells

There are lots of great ideas on Hometalk. Search for dressers. Keep the hardware. If you don't want to use it as a dresser, you can use the mirrow elsewhere in the house. Please post when you decide what you decide.

• Liz Takacs
    Liz Takacs

so nice piece keep everything that you can have it yes, and creativity will give you an idea of how you want it to look and that goes by what you have in your house right now so stared at it a little bit the answer will come

• JEWRLYMAKER
    JEWRLYMAKER

I WOULD JUST PAINT AND MAYBE PUT SOME DIFFERENT HANDLES ON IT

• Beth Ann Robinson
    Beth Ann Robinson

I just want to know where you're driving? I live Uptown NOLA and I have never seen any curbside "treasures"

• Alicia Gillentine Carr
      Alicia Gillentine Carr

@Beth Ann Robinson Old Jefferson :) I actually picked a headboard up at this same house last weekend. I went back there yesterday and asked if they were planning to get rid of anymore. Apparently I missed another treasure before this dresser, they had put out an antique cedar wardrobe with a mirrored door :( I nearly cried.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

This is a fantastic piece. Clean it well and then decide if you want to keep the style or paint it. This is one of those pieces that if it is in good shape, it is amazing with the color it is! If it has to be painted, I agree the black would be great, if you work and don't want to see dust on it all the time, go with flat black! It would be stunning!

• Alicia Gillentine Carr
    Alicia Gillentine Carr

Wow! Thanks to everyone for responding. I've got a lot of ideas flowing now. I'm going to let it sit a bit while I wait for the right ideas and inspiration. Can't wait to see what it becomes! Thanks again everyone!

• Ruth
    Ruth

I have three similar pieces in my bedroom and am wondering what to do with them! They have really yellowed over the years and need some kind of redo.

• M Ronsman
    M Ronsman

I just was given a large cabinet & small "play" cabinet from a friend, those are also the blonde wood. The small cabinet is being transformed with red and teal chalk paint, and they (the grands) want some polka dots stenciled on it. The big piece has 2 sliding doors with 3 shelves inside and 5 drawers underneath. That will become a quilting cabinet and is almost filled full with fabrics. It will be painted some combination of white, grey and black, new hardware will be put on also. Just waiting for the right inspiration to start that one. Alicia, please post pics when you're done......I can't wait to see it!!

• Suz240846
    Suz240846

I would paint it depending where you are going to use it as to what color. Oh, I love the handles!

• Shannon Provence
    Shannon Provence

it looks like one of the 1950's Lane dressers. Possibly Broyhill or Stanley. Does it have a manufactures mark? i would find out what company made it before doing anything to it. There are some pieces from this time period that are worth restoring.

• Cindy Rhodes
    Cindy Rhodes

I would definitely part this piece. .do some sanding and stenciling...

• Linda G
    Linda G

Its mahogany. Wow! What a find. I would steel wool it and put tung oil on it and it's good to go.

• Leslie Long
    Leslie Long

My how lucky you are! The hardware alone is a great find but having it intact, on the original dresser! Wow! If it were me, I would sand and stain it if there isn't any major damage to it. I would only paint it with chalk paint to cover up any defects. Maybe paint the top only....or the reverse....paint the dresser and stain the top. Let us know what you end up doing--would love to see the finished piece! :)

• Michaela Edwards
    Michaela Edwards

Restore, I always like the original, and there are some really nice painted pieces out there. What ever you do it will be great.

• Deb Meadows
    Deb Meadows

That looks like the old "Frank Lloyd Wright" furnature from the 50's - 60's......It is all wood and now all wood replications cost.....just for a dresser sell for about $6,000.00.....Refinish it. It is worth a lot.....

• Linda Santschi
    Linda Santschi

late 1950`s Blonde with "outer space style" handles. Everything including car styles were influenced by the Space Race. This is a veneer piece, so be careful.

• Sandi Gavlak Plotner
    Sandi Gavlak Plotner

Mid 1950's dresser. Likely had/has shiny veneere (still have mine). Great storage!!! Paint and enjoy!

• Chris Teague
    Chris Teague

The possibilities are endless! Can't wait to see what you decide on!

• Briana McKinnon
    Briana McKinnon

this is funny...i bought a dresser/mirror combo at the thrift store last week that looks almost identical to this. :) I am thinking I am going to paint it with chalk paint in a cream color and then age it with dark wax. I thought Id figure out how to make the hardware look dark and aged. Wasnt sure how to do that yet.

• Chris T
    Chris T

This one I think I would paint.......unless the wood is an expensive type of wood then I would just refinish it to its original charm

• Penny
    Penny

I was born in 1961 and my parents had a bedroom suit like this

• Julie Anderson
    Julie Anderson

I just repainted a period dresser also with the veneer finish on the top. I sanded it to remove all the shiny with 220 grit and a hand sanding block. Fill in any gaps or holes, then 2-3 coats of chalk paint and it adheres very well. After waxing, add some poly to coat the top for added protection if it will be in a kids room.

• Jackie Prim
    Jackie Prim

My parents also had this style bedroom suit. The hardware is great. What ever you decide please post. Im sure it will be lovely!

• Lillian Mccormick
    Lillian Mccormick

My Mom had one of these it was a blond color very old

• Christine
    Christine

Mid Century Modern aka Eisenhower. Whatever you call it, it is fabulous!! The hardware makes the piece. Be sure to find out as many details about it as you can before you decide what you'll do with it.

• Diana Lafavor
    Diana Lafavor

Paint a very sexy shiny red with that chrome hardware it will be quite racy

• Bella B
    Bella B

Restore/refinish. You have quite a find.

• Shari Veater
    Shari Veater

Restore it! You got quite a find :)

• Lynn Schwarzkopf
    Lynn Schwarzkopf

Looks like mid century modern...maybe. Paint it with Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.

• Jill DeVore McMahon
    Jill DeVore McMahon

From the 1960's for sure! Great find no matter what you do. I would refinish, just preference though.

• Wendi Beck
    Wendi Beck

Can't wait to see what you do with this beautiful piece. LOVE the hardware and I kinda like Diana Lafavor's idea of painting it red

• Lynn Lawson
    Lynn Lawson

50's and it's a great find! I would keep the hardware for sure and paint the dresser a shiny black. Would look great in a dining room as a side buffet. I'd frame out the mirror in a matching black and hang over the piece. What a find!

• Meliss Etner
    Meliss Etner

Must Love The Handles!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever you do keep the handles please! It's a light and bright shade of wood so going natural would be fine. But in what space do you plan to show it? Are the colors of that space already in place? If so, how do you see it complimenting the room? Blend in or stand out? The choice is obviously yours. For me, I love it when i can make any special piece stand out. If so, placement is also key. With this in mind walk into that space and visualize how it will show to anyone else that walks into the room. I got my first roadside gem just months after we bought our home. Do to lack of space I thought of giving it up, but had a change of heart. The finish, in this case, is too good to paint. And it is compartment heaven beyond it's double doors. Will post it on my blog...barefoot junker...check it out when you have the time. Great find! Hold on to it!

• Janet Buechler
    Janet Buechler

This would make a great entertainment center

• Srs262418
    Srs262418

Hmmm what a great find. well done. Great handles.. 50's??? pastels??? 60??? a little bit more funky??? Looking forward to seeing what you choose. (I think black may be a bit stark because it has such a great shape to it, which might dissapear with black...just my 2 cents worth.) have fun

• Carol Tomlin
    Carol Tomlin

I like the shiny red with the hardware.

• Angel w/ Attitude
    Angel w/ Attitude

The only thing stopping you is your imagination! If you really want direction, tell us what you want to do with the piece. Bedroom, dining, laundry room? The list is endless...

• Chilly Cee Cee
    Chilly Cee Cee

Let your creativeness do its thing!!! Enjoy & Have Fun Creating......

• Kate Chatterton
    Kate Chatterton

I agree with Lynn Lawson. Shiny black (or another dark color) so the hardware is highlighted. If it can work with the rest of your decor use it as a dinning room buffet, possibly with a sunburst mirror above it. It is spectacular enough to be the inspiration for an entire decorating scheme.

• Karin From B'ham
    Karin From B'ham

@Kate Chatterton has a great idea! Sunburst mirrors are everywhere these days. One over this piece in the color you choose to re-do it in, or a chrome-like finish to go with the hardware would be stunning!!

• Cyndie McCarthy
    Cyndie McCarthy

I would take the top drawer out, stand it on the top of the dresser, put a shelf or two in it and turn it into a nice china cupboard/bookcase and storage bin below. Maybe even attach some molding around the top edges then paint the whole piece maybe an antique white. Oh and the mirror would be great in a kthen or living room to reflect more light where you need it. Not good fung shui to use in a bedroom.

• Pauliegirl1
    Pauliegirl1

So much you can do....and it all depends on where you are going to use it? WHAT I DO... look for other hardware for the BOTTOM drawers....I have those same knobs...they look like they were replaced....you may have to look and look and look some more, but you will find something in that era that will pop like the top ones do!! Use what is there until you come across some 50's, 60's, even 70's knobs!!! Cant wait to see what u do!! good luck!!

• Starr Durrant
    Starr Durrant

Great find! I would go with a glossy black paint so those retro awesome handles pop. Cant wait to see what you do!

• Jerry Busbee
    Jerry Busbee

kick it to da curb. lol jk

• Lola
    Lola

Paint it lime green or royal blue in lacquer finish

• Maryfrancessandyplavidal
    Maryfrancessandyplavidal

nope, but it would be a great find and would be welcomed into my home..after checking over for rodents etc... beautiful and what ever you do, great, hope people keep puting out those peices so we junk hunters can keep busy and energetic...

• Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

Restore
  • Loretta
    Loretta

All depends what you could use or what you are willing to do. One woman is making one into an apothecary cabinet and using it in the bathroom for the vanity. Gorgeous. You could remake it for your bathroom if you can use it. You could make it into a really nice bench with drawers under it at the entryway for shoes. Or baskets instead of drawers. You could make it as a buffet for the dining room, or entryway. Really so much you can do, just depends if you can use it or want to sell it. If selling, I say go for entry way type piece or the bathroom vanity and refinish luxuriously. Just my opinion. Please post finished pics!! Good luck

• Chorr4475
    Chorr4475

This looks like blond, mid-century modern! What is finish like? If in good shape, or CAREFULLY refinished, could be worth big bucks. I have sm night stand I'm gonna redo, and its worth $100, easily!
  • Julie M.
    Julie M.

This is a beautiful mid century piece.
  • Ltt834476
    Ltt834476

Refurbish to its natural style. Just by looking at the knobs, it's late 50's. Nice fine.....
  • Charl
    Charl

Wow...lucky you!! I would paint it with chalk paint and lightly distress...simple but beautiful. Love the hardware! I would just clean it up.
  • Lisa Petersen
    Lisa Petersen

Mid-Century Modern, which is really popular now. If you paint it, you will immediately lose any value, as with any antique piece. I recommend restoration/cleaning only, as necessary - the less you change, the greater the value. I do see damage to the top, which might require some research, depending on what it was originally. Of course, if the top was/is linoleum, it will be hard to replace, but there are some great sites online.... I have a Drexel Heritage mcm hutch, found on CL, bargained it down to $300, it is worth over a grand only because it is original finish. Please, please please don't paint it! If you hate it as is, clean and restore it and sell it to a mcm aficionado - almost-free money! Good luck!
  • Charl
    Charl

if u care about the value leave it as is...just clean it up. ...but is that the look u want to live with? ...or do something with it that you will love to look at everyday and not worry about its value down the line.

• Angela Vestal
    Angela Vestal

I woould definitely chalk paint it. Have you seen where they do each drawer a different color? I would do that on the bottom part and distress all of it of course. LOVE THIS!!!!!!
  • Charl
    Charl

I agree...I m loving chalk paint! BTW, the homemade recipe using Plaster of Paris works great! ....so cheap and u can do any color...not limited to certain colors.
  • Chilly Cee Cee
    Chilly Cee Cee

I miss my curb finds. Not having my own space or car any longer...I am not able to turn ***Trash into Treasures***...I miss it soooo much!!! Enjoy & Have Fun...
  • Robin Arredondo
    Robin Arredondo

Chalk paint it and use as a Kitchin Island. I would change knobs and put a piece of granite or butcher block on top!
  • Zest it Up
    Zest it Up

I love this piece!! Good find! I've redone some of my finds! Check them out here :)
    I hope these inspire you!! Can't wait to see what you do!
  • Darlene Ernst
    Darlene Ernst

I come from the same era.....1950s ...and am impressed at how well this dresser has held up. When I got old enough to realize that, someday, that cheap, ugly,blonde, veneer furniture would be "antique", I thought, "No way!" Of course, very few pieces survived so it is now considered quite valuable and artistic. I'd suggest restoring it to retain it's value even though I would love to see it painted in a bold color.
  • Mary
    Mary

I'm no expert but I love wood and therefore would restore and refinish it to its original glory. Nice find!

• Barb
    Barb

What I great find and worth being late. I would paint it and change the handles and this is a hot piece it could pass as a console or buffet apothecary, ditch the mirror. Here's a picture of what I was explaining
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I would restore since its already stripped it looks like. I would do it in deep cherry. It will lose it value as a mid-century piece if you paint it.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

Your curbside find is a piece of furniture, in the dated style called blonde wood, that was hugely popular the mid-1950's. The upper handles on the dresser are consistent with the designs that also appeared on other domestic items, such as fridges, during this time. As the bottom knobs have since been replace, this detracts from the vintage value of the piece.

• Cindy greene
    Cindy greene

Leave. The color as or restra

• Jlnatty
    Jlnatty

Well, it looks either mid-century modern or early 1970s, which is sort of a take-off on the design styles of mid-century mod. I LOVE that hardware. Have you checked inside of all the drawers and on the back (if it's not a finished back but only has pressboard backing on it) to see if there is a manufacturer name stamped somewhere - check on drawer bottoms underneath as well. Look for clues as to whether it is solid wood, a wood veneer, or a later brand manufactured "wood" product (like plywood, etc. - in which case it might not be mid-century modern or early 1970s). Are there dovetail joints, for instance? Are there metal runners for the drawers (expensive furniture), or wood slats with plastic slides to run on (cheap furniture)? The drawer tops on the top level have a slight arch to them - very cool and a great design detail. I'm no expert at all, but to my eye at least this indicates a higher design level than cheapo furniture.

I would clean it all up first and then re-evaluate. I am not a fan of painting furniture although I have seen some beautiful pieces featured online over the years. If it's a good solid wood dresser I would be totally against painting it. I would sand it, prep it and restain it to highlight the beauty of the wood. Hard to tell from the photo, but overall it looks to be in good shape.

Great find!

• Bshane
    Bshane

The hardware is the bomb. Choose an approach that plays it up,

• Cha
    Cha

love the bottom piece... I would make that into a seating bench with a long cushion on top and gorgeous throw pillows to pop room colors.

• Rita
    Rita
    7 minutes ago

Looks like 1960’s Blonde wood, with “space” inspired hardware...I would sand it down, paint it white, except for flat panel on drawers, where knobs are, paint that black. Then, spray knobs bright silver.

For a bold look, substitute the white paint for teal.