Antique Dresser Makover With Hummingbird Design

$10
Advanced

It’s hot here in Arizona and it’s not the greatest time to work in the garage and definitely not a great idea to go junkin, but that is exactly what I am doing! I seen an ad on the local swap shop site for a free dresser, so off I went to pick it up. It was not in the best of shape but that is my speciality, taking junk and making it beautiful. When I got it home there was a big chunk missing from the top

antique dresser makover with hummingbird design

Here it is before. Someone had started to paint it black and I felt it looked odd sitting flush on the ground. It was solid wood and it was a well built piece of old furniture. I removed the decorative wood pieces on each drawer, I did this for the design I was putting on it.

This is showing the big piece missing from the front. I wood glued it back on and used wood filler to smooth it all out and fill in the cracks.

I added some bun feet. I had to use a small block of 2x4 to the back and then drilled holes for the feet to fit perfectly. I wood glued these in also. I waited 24hours for them to dry before turning over.

I used my heat gun to get all the paint out of the crevices.

All sanded and ready for design. The darker marks are wet from where I had wiped it off.

I decided to put a stain shaded hummingbird on the front. I was also going to stain areas and use copper metallic paint on the feet, top, and side areas, I also used a black glaze over the copper paint.

My hummingbird has been drawn on and I have started out lining with stain. Stain shading is a process of using just stain to create an image.

Side view, you can see where I stained and where the copper paint was used.

Bun feet, painted and glazed

Top painted and glazed. I had planned on staining the top but the area that had the flaw showed too bad.

Hummingbird all finished.

These are the only 3 things I used.

All finished. The Hummingbird and his Shadow, I also added the mirror and painted it to match. I hope you enjoyed this project, I absolutely love it and it is by far one of my favorite pieces.

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 19, 2018 11:45 PM - More info

• Diane

Love the result. Did you have a stencil for the hummingbird or are you an artist?

• Loretta

How build a patio

• Eva Saunders

I am a bit lost on how you were able to do the humming bird. Do you have a video tutorial

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I do not for this project. I basically draw my hummingbird on with a pencil and use stain to create the image. You can look at my project Big’Ol Sunflower table to see the process.