Sign Challenge: I Have Been Framed

38K Views

I have collected several old frames on my treasure hunts.Some I found on the roadside and others have been given to me by peeps who know I am always creating things. I have large frames and small frames. I just never could decide what I wanted to make with any of them. Well, when Hometalk posted this week’s challenge about a garden sign, I knew just what I could make with one of my old frames. For a while, I have wanted a welcome sign to go over my hubby’s grill. I needed something that welcomed family, friends and other guests to our patio. I used one of the smaller frames to make the sign for my patio. The frame had six panes. We have a cover over the grill and the brace across the middle and the top was a perfect fit if I turned the fame vertically. So excited!

Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Advanced
  • sign challenge i have been framed

The window frame was not extremely dirty, but it was dusty. It was helpful that it was in the middle of the stack. I cleaned the glass and frame with a spray multiple~purpose cleaner and a soft rag before I started painting. I decided on the design by looking through some pictures I had on hand.

• sign challenge i have been framed

Next, I found a picture I liked and placed it under the frame in one of the bottom panes. The weight of the frame held the picture in place. I used black Sharies to trace over the lines.

• sign challenge i have been framed

I wanted to leave some of the glass without a design to enhance the use of an old frame. Once I traced the part of the flower I wanted on the pane, I began painting the outline.

• sign challenge i have been framed

After I painted the flower yellow, I added black to the center of th flower.

• sign challenge i have been framed

Then I free-handed leaves around the flower. Next, I outlined the painted area with a tube of raised paint.

• sign challenge i have been framed

I painted all of the pictures using bright colors. Since it is going to be outside, I wanted the frame to pop with color.

• sign challenge i have been framed

I decided to write “Welcome to Our Patio” In staggered panes. I used a paint marker to write the words in bold print.

• sign challenge i have been framed

My husband makes a great homemade Barb B Q sauce. Since the window frame is going over his grill, I decided to personalize the frame for him. I painted a cute mason jar and wrote Dan’s Homemade Sauce on the jar. He loved it!!!

• sign challenge i have been framed

The pink flower is so bright and pretty!

• sign challenge i have been framed

I added a little greenery and purple flowers around the outside of the frame for a little more color. In this picture, I am using the tip of the brush to make the center of the flower.

• sign challenge i have been framed

After I finished painting, I sprayed the frame with a clear acrylic protector.

• sign challenge i have been framed

Now my guests will be greeted with a colorful sign and hubby can grill them up some ribs and top them off with his homemade sauce.

• sign challenge i have been framed

One end of my pergola has a top with black tin as the roof, to protect my grill master hubby from rain. we hung the frame in the middle of the covered area over his grill.

• sign challenge i have been framed

Picture from far end of our patio, you can see the frame as you step onto the patio.

• sign challenge i have been framed

This a picture of the glaze I used. It is a great product!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 10, 2018 11:56 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.