How To Make a Crate Desk

$150
1 Day

I've been dreaming of the perfect farmhouse desk to finish off my office. One day, I came across some crates at Michael's & a butcher block at IKEA and I had an idea....
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
First, start by sanding the crates. I purchased 4 for the legs of the desk. After that, start staining! I ripped up an old T-shirt to use as a rag to rub the stain in. Make sure while staining to cover as many of the grooves as possible. After that, let the stain set for 5-15 minutes. Then, grab a clean rag & wipe away the excess. After that, let your crates dry for at least 6-8 hours, or longer depending on how hot it is outside. Following that, I added a layer of spray varnish to make sure the crates were extra set - but this is an optional step as long as you aren't using them outside. After that, I let the varnish dry. (If you are planning to use these stained crates for outside use I would suggest setting with a polyurethane.)
After your crates have dried - bring them inside & begin setting up how you want your desk legs to look. This will vary depending on how tall you want the desk to be. Next, glue the top crate to the bottom crate using wood glue.Make sure your crates are lined up the way you want them to look. Repeat this on the other leg & let dry.
Next, flip the leg over - for extra security grab some metal mending plates & mark where your holes are going to go. Pre-drill your holes to prevent the wood from splitting. After that screw in the screws & repeat on the other side of the crate so there is a total of two mending plates per leg. Repeat this on the other leg.
After that, flip the legs back over and add your top! I chose to use a butcher block I purchased at IKEA, but you could use plywood, or any other kind of surface to personalize to the look you want! Make sure your legs are in the place you want them to be. Following that grab a package of L brackets to attach the legs to the top. Mark your holes & drill the same way you added the mending plates. If you are using a heavy wooden top like I was make sure you purchase wood screws that are at least half the size of the thickness of your board. I purchased 1 & 1/4" wood screws because the block was 2 inches thick. Attach the L bracket - repeat this on the outside of the crate legs as well as the inside to secure the top to the legs.
& just like that - you're done! Add some baskets to hold your belongings & that's it!

This desk is the perfect edition to my office & was just what I was picturing!

If you're not looking for a desk, depending on what top you choose - this can also be used as a dining table!

I hope this inspires you to create the custom look you've always been dreaming of!

Check out the video for more how-to's!

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Stephan Swafford

Where are you finding crates that big and for how much

• Mary Joyce

The desk appears to be easy to tilt over if weight was shifted. Has it been tested ?

• Ana

I plan on doing this for my kids so I am going to secure the crates and the table top to the wall similar to how she secured the top to the crates.

• Carlee B

I am currently attempting to create this desk and I have stained my crates. I bought Mod Podge Gloss Clear Acrylic Sealer but a friend said it might leave the crates tacky and wet. Has anyone used this sealer on stained wood???

• Lisa West

I'm helping my best friend with her new home. Im current making curtain for her home. She has 4 boys 10 13 15 and 17 and a hubby. Due to loss of jobs and stuff like they were homeless for some time. Any way they have finally gotten their own place. So furniture and stuff have finally came. So I told her instead of buying a coffee table with the wooden crates. Save they money for some thing else. Let build one and I showed her some of the crate ideas from her on home talk and pinterest. Both her and her hubby love the idea. So as soon as we can get the crates the build will begin. Because of the size of the living room we wont be able to build the square. It will have to be the standard coffee table size. You know the long one. I also suggested we make a shelving unit for under the TV for niknaks cable box DVD players. I wish I had the money I would go and buy the items to build the table. As I am only on disability. Between me and my fiance who is a carpenter we could build so many beautiful things. Recycle and upcycle items. Any way I did a screen shot of your desk and sent to my friend. I believe she will love it. She likes the idea of making things her own. She agrees the coffee table will not k my be made her own and help ro bulld it. She like the idea of the sabotage as well. Her apartment is so cute and so many possibilities for decorating. Any way thank you for sharing your creation. Love it.

• Tammy

My crate project