Flower Arranging 101 : A Simple Formula for Lush Arrangements!

$9

I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to learn how to put together beautiful arrangements. Of course - without spending tons of money on flowers or florists. I recently took a flower arranging class and I'm sharing what I learned!
flower arranging 101 a simple formula for lush arrangements
When you are just starting out, the easiest way to make a floral arrangement look cohesive is to choose colors that are close to one another on the color wheel. 

Think – pinks and reds, blues and purples, yellows and greens. 

Go Monochrome when in doubt.  This is a great way to make a cohesive looking arrangement.  Choose different varieties of flowers in the same color scheme.

Here's the simple 5 element formula to remember : Height, Filler, Feature, Accent, Vessel

• Height - determines the height of your arrangment - like branches
  • Filler - determines the shape - think lush and full greenery
  • Feature - the focal point of your arrangment - the star of the show. Choose a big beautiful flower. Group in odd numbers for interest.
  • Accent - smaller flowers that accent the overall arrangement. (carnations are a good one here - great bang for your buck!)
  • Vessel - choose a container that is interesting and pretty. Think outside the box - pumpkins, pitchers and low bowls can make great vessels.

Start with your fillers to determine the shape - here I used Kale.
Fill in with your height - these are branches from my own backyard Free is great!
Accent - Fill in bare spots with your accent flowers.
Time to add your feature flower - I used hydrangeas. Everything is in the maroon family, with the exception of the greens.
You can tweak and move around your items as you see fit. It should look lush and beautiful - whimsical and organic. You want it to look natural and create movement.
Overall - this costs me $9.
Grocery Store : Carnation bunch was $7. Kale Bunch was $1.99.
Greenery and Hydrangeas : Free from my yard
Vase : A family heirloom
Not bad!

For more information on prepping your flowers and more ideas on arranging - go to my website here : https://decorhint.com/diy-flower-arranging-a-simple-formula/
Karen | Decor Hint

• Chandra

I always wanted to make flower arrangements. I saw all the steps u did..I am going to try it, thank u for sharing😍

• Mindshift

Most of the time my floral arrangements are single-element simply because my garden may only have one type of bloom. I have noticed some vases require more stems to fill them. Those with a wide top and narrow base require about twice as many stems, but they are also good for wide flowers such as sunflowers. Classic shaped vases are the easiest to fill. Set several stems so they crisscross at the bottom and lean outward. Fill in with others set more upright. Narrow, tubular vases are usually bud vases, but may also hold a few small stems. However, a large narrow vase, especially one with a heavy base, is great for tall flowers such as gladiolas.