Moni
Moni
  • Moreno Valley, CA
Asked 3 days ago

How do I paint this?

DebkerThomasCheryl Williamsen
+5

First and I need to figure out what type of wood is this? And do I need to sand it if I want to repaint a vanity table I bought that has a dark brown color paint on it, to a white color paint??

q how do i paint this
  • It looks like pressed wood which will not hold up to sanding.

You can use a high quality primer like Original Kilz that is oil based to cover the brown before you switch to white. I recently used Zinsser primer to go from red to pale gray. It covered nicely and was 97% white before I began to paint.

• Cynthia H

Hi Moni! I wouldn't sand it either. Clean it up well, and buy Kilz or another name brand primer. If you want white, they come that way. If you would like them tinted, I've used both brands tinted to decrease the number of coats of paint I needed. I would use a clear sealer on it, at least on the top to protect it (or buy glass cut to fit).

• I agree it looks like particle board which is basically sawdust and glue. You can sand the large areas but the edges will flake out unless you do heavy filling with wood filler, then sand again. It will paint up fine after you prime it, but it will never be perfectly smooth.

• I agree that this is pressed 'wood'. I have taken my wood putty and put it on the edge as you've shown. Smooth it out as much as possible... let dry according to instructions... sand to make it smoother.

OR buy iron-on laminate that comes in a roll... iron it onto the edge.

• Johnavallance82

Hi there, I agree with Maureen, Pressed wood/glue Particle Board (Good and Strong) but doesn't look great! Use Filler to smooth it out - then sand a little then prime, undercoat and use Topcoat - Gloss or Satin. or use Iron on Edge trim. Good luck!

• I agree it’s Particle Board or MDF which has no structural value, in a piece this small. What are you going to do with it regarding the dresser?

Did you know you can buy an 8’ stick of solid pine and pick through the stack for one that has no knots, for about $2.50?

Your time on messing with particle board/MDF is going to be many hours.

Please Go to an indoor lumber yard (like HD, Lowes, Menards) and look at the choices. Ask for help, if the good pieces are still bundled & you need the plastic straps to be cut. You can get “clear white pine” without paying the CWP price, if you dig through the stack. Wear work gloves, as I always end up with a splinter.

• Thomas

if it's not to big a peace replace it with with a real wood like pine. then seal it and paint it you will be glad you got rid of the peace of pressboard

• Debker
    41 minutes ago

Hi Moni, It is particle board but it can be painted.