Gail Givens
Gail Givens
  • Boulder, CO
Asked on Dec 8, 2018

How to remove paint from the underside of tempered glass patio table?

Arleen SarsonsWilliamJudith
+8

Have a tempered glass patio table that has paint on the underside. It's began flaking off a year ago. Is there an easy way to remove all of it? Always thought it was strange that it was painted in the first place.

• Betty

Hi try Home Depot. I think they sell a paint remove. .they will know what you can use to be safe on your table. .Merry Christmas. .

• Gail Givens

Thank you Betty. I'll try the suggested method of soap and water first and then try something stronger if it doesn't work.

• Linda Sikut

HI Gail,

My name is Linda and I found an article about removing paint from glass. This particular article is for window glass, but the process should be the same for your table. There are a few steps and a caution, but if you do it slowly it should be fine. Wishing you the best.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-remove-paint-from-glass.htm

• Gail Givens

Thank you Linda. I will try the soaking in warm water and soap first then resort to something with more chemicals if it doesn't work.

• Judith

I took my table apart....soaked it in hot soapy water....then scraped it with a plastic flipper......and 99 percent came off. I got the last 1 percent off with fingernail polish.

• Carol

Hi Judith, I’m having the same problem with my patio table. It’s peeling and looks really bad so I want to remove all of the paint. It’s still in great shape otherwise. Soaked it with warm water and soap but only 50% came off. Saw this posting and was hoping you found a method that worked for you. I can’t find any help online. Please share if you had any success. Thank you.

Citristrip paint stripper.

• Gail Givens

Thank you William. I'll try the soap and water method first. I appreciate your product name so I won't have to wonder which one to purchase.

• Arleen Sarsons

I suggest turning the table upside down, soak the painted area with water (let it sit) & scrape it off with a scraper. It worked for me!

• Gail Givens

Thank you Arlene. This method was suggested twice and I will try this one first as it costs nothing and doesn't involve harsh chemicals.