Adorable Little Vintage Table Mosaic Up Cycle

$10

I just love the design of these little Vintage Mid Century coffee tables with their sleek dansette legs and so when I see them in junk shops or jumble sales I just have to rescue them!

It's great fun to up cycle to give a more up to date look using pretty little glass mosaic tiles. MMmm so many designs and gorgeous coloured tiles to choose from.

Vintage table mosaic up cycle
Vintage table mosaic up cycle

Firstly I covered the table in plain white photocopy paper using Unibond PVA adhesive to give a good base to stick tiles on so they stay put and also it helps design and colour choice with a plain background.

Vintage table before UP-Cycle
Vintage table before UP-Cycle

The tiles I chose to decorate were 10 mm x 10 mm vitreous glass tiles in cool shades of green blue black white and brown colours also I chose some with a delightful gold streak in them to add texture. And some clear see through glass. No need to cut you can place directly onto the table remembering to leave a small gap in between tiles for grout .

Stick tiles with PVA adhesive
Stick tiles with PVA adhesive

I started sticking tiles from the outside rim and followed the natural shape going inwards with various color combinations towards the center. Try keeping the tiles evenly spaced and straight.

Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Sticking glass tiles evenly spaced

When you have finished your design and given it at least an hour to dry securely, it is time to grout. I used Unibond ready mixed tile grout in Black. I apply it with an old credit card as it is flexi and helps get into all the gaps. You may want to use gloves to protect your hands and I prefer to do this part outside as bit messy.

Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Apply tile grout

When all the table is grouted and all crevices filled it is time for wiping away excess and cleaning your design. Multi use Wonderwipes by Bestbuild are perfect for the job as they are disposable and come in so handy for loads of craft & DIY jobs.

The table begins to reveal its beauty!

Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Wiping away excess grout

After a little more refined cleaning as some of the tiles may need a bit more clean up. The table is ready to use and looks great in any space.

I am so thrilled with the result!

Mosaic vintage up cycle
Mosaic vintage up cycle

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• She11524914

Do you have any idea how to put a lip on a square laminate table I already own? I have tiles but it looks like a lip would be needed.

• She11524914

Thank you for the great ideas. I will certainly look into those options.

• Adorable! I have a tray that would compliment it that my mom made back in the 50's. Beautiful and timeless. Thanks for sharing! ❤

• Susan Goode

Thank you and I just adore 50's & 60's designs and colors and yes in fact a tray is on my mind as a soon to do project.

• Liz Weiss

Susan, a lovely piece of art. Thanks for responding to everyone's comment. You are a charming lady.

• Susan Goode

Ah you're welcome. Its is my passion and so it's great to create and learn