Romantic Valentine's Door Swag

$40.

I was ready to replace my Christmas decoration on the front door and wanted to give my door a soft look, not all decorated with red and white hearts. I love a swag instead of a wreath and this one looks lovely on my door!

romantic valentine s door swag

Do you remember Princess Diana’s wedding bouquet? Maybe you are of the Megan Markle and Princess Kate era. I, on the other hand, got married just a year before Princess Diana. For me. at the time there couldn’t have been a more romantic event and that bouquet, oh, it still makes me swoon! That was my inspiration for the long and elegant flowing look of my swag.  

romantic valentine s door swag

The first step to making your swag is to give yourself a hanger to hang it from the door where you will be displaying it. Using an 18 gauge floral wire, bend it in half and stick it through your piece of styrofoam. Before pulling it all the way through, you must secure the wire with something to keep it from cutting and being pulled all the way through your foam block. I like to use a piece of paper wrapped wire in a “W” or “M” pattern that will keep the wire from pulling through. On the back side of the foam, wind your wire into a circle to hang on your hook. To protect your door, wrap the wire in a pipe cleaner. 

romantic valentine s door swag

I began this swag with a piece of an inexpensive ivy bush I picked up and then cut apart. I didn’t like the two pieces sticking out to the side, so I cut one off and bent the other more straight. 

romantic valentine s door swag

I used the entire ivy bush for this base, I think it looks amazing, already! But….time for flowers! 

romantic valentine s door swag

Oh, wait, before flowers lets add some pretty pink and ivory floral ribbon. One bow with long streamers makes it ready for flowers (for real this time!). 

romantic valentine s door swag

I added a few stems of artificial eucalyptus to continue to cover the styrofoam base and then added some tiny white flowers both at the bottom and the top of the swag. Some mini ivory hydrangea blooms and a couple of pale pink dahlias are giving me the romantic look I am going for.  

romantic valentine s door swag

I just love ranunculus and they seem like a very romantic flower to me. I really love the little cluster of them I tucked into the right side of the swag. 

romantic valentine s door swag

A few little more touches and this swag is ready to go on the front door!  

romantic valentine s door swag

…and yes, it looks beautiful on my blue front door! A romantic door decoration that is reminiscent of a special bridal bouquet, and yet, doesn’t have on corny heart in it anywhere!  

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Andrea

Really lovely. If you don’t want to use Styrofoam, could you use a twig swag as the base?

• Erica Smith

#Andrea yes you can use a twig swag already together or make your own Grapevine base. You can even bend a clothes hanger in the shape of a heart and attach the Grapevines to that, then add your florals & Ivy or whatever greenery you want with hot glue if you dont want to change the florals out with the seasons. The skies the limit!!! Have fun!

Blessings

Erica

• Lesia

What if you have a glass door. What to do with the backing not showing so tacky.

• Melody

I’m going to try to make the swag just as you have. I remember Princess Diana’s wedding, too. You did a beautiful job. It’s absolutely lovely!! I do have a ?....How do you make the bow???

• Eva

Yes going to try it.thanks for showing it love it :):

• Ginger

So beautiful,!!!. Can leave up after Valentine's day for spring also. Thank you.