DIY Coastal Kitchen Makeover

$10000
10 Weeks
Advanced

My husband and I completely DIYed the kitchen in our waterfront cottage! It was a huge project and took about 10 weeks to complete. Everything was replaced or updated. The end result is better than we could ever imagine.
Photo Credit: All after pictures were taken my Jessica with Ever & Anon Photography.
This is the view from our living room looking into the newly updated dining room and kitchen.
The kitchen before. Dark, cramped, and orange.
The bulky refrigerator was placed at the end of the cabinets. I hated that it didn't look like it belonged there and it was the first thing you saw when you walked around the corner.
The birch cabinets were in good shape but the stain color was horrible!
After: Painted cabinets, new hardware, new appliances, new floors, new countertops, new lighting, new backsplash, built-in refrigerator, added moldings.
We built an enclosure for our refrigerator. I love the custom look the enclosure gives to the kitchen and I like that a big, bulky fridge isn't the first thing you see when you walk into the space. Also, we got a counter depth fridge to save space.
Above the fridge I now have storage space for my cookbooks and other knick knacks. My great grandfather was a keeper on the lighthouse in the print.
The white cabinets make the space feel bigger and the backsplash adds just enough color. I filled in the fur down/soffit above the cabinets and added moldings to make it look like the cabinets extended to the ceiling.
The curtain fabric is perfect to mesh the colors from the backslash with the blues in my dining and living rooms. Thank you, Sarah Richardson for designing such gorgeous fabrics!
The single basin sink is 11" deep!
The subway glass tile backslash are seen a lot now but I used 4" x 12" instead of the popular 3" x 6" or 2" x 4" tiles.
I am in love with my five burner stove and double ovens.
The view looking back into my dining and living rooms.
Be sure to visit my blog to see all the details and pictures from the makeover!

Brian & Kaylor