Asked on Feb 4, 2019

How can I use this empty space in my bathroom?

Lynn Sorrell19698379Jeanne Cox Dodge
+9

I have this empty space in my bathroom. Originally it was for a built-in laundry hamper. Please provide suggestions on how or what to do with this space?

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would put a cabinet in the space that will fill it as much as possible. Enclose the side if needed but you probably want to leave access on the wall.

• Lorraine
    Lorraine

Slide some kind of wood to fit on the side to make a wall , and maybe one for the back but just so it fits in snuggly, in case something needs to be worked on and it can be removed.clean and paint everything white and use as more storage.

• Lynn
    Lynn

Depending on what the wires, pipes are for, if you'll need access to them for repair or something at some time, you'll at least want to mark the area some way so you'll know where to access it. But I'd wall off all sides and put in some sort of storage. If this space runs to the ceiling (hard to tell my photo), then put in a closet. If nothing else, a linen cabinet with shelves. Most homes never have enough storage! How big is this area? That might help give other ideas/

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

I like the built in hamper, I'd put another one in.

• Lah
    Lah

If wooden crates from the craft store would fit, ithat could be a quick and easy fix. You could slide two of them in there for easy in and easy out. Keep your toilet paper, personal supplies, cleaning supplies could go there.

• Karen Sebastiani
    Karen Sebastiani

Finish the sides and install the metal pull out wire shelves. You could then use the space for whatever you want to store.

• Joan
    Joan

Have a small access door for wiring and pipes. Wall it up put shelves, a closet rod, use for storage.

• CJ
    CJ

I don't know about your house but if this was in MY house, it would be a front door for mice. I would add walls inside this space to enclose it as suggested above and attach those walls with screws in case you ever need to access that plumbng or wires.

Once that is done and painted you could:

1. add shelves for storage, with or without a door.

2. Put your laundry hamper or waste basket in the open space.

3. Or a large basket for storage.

4. Make and hang a curtain over the opening.

If storage isn't needed add the walls inside and use the open space for decor; maybe something that has lights for a night light. Battery lights could be used.

Or simply close it with a panel of wall board of your choosing.

• Renee'
    Renee'

I want to express my deepest appreciation for the very thoughtful responses I have received.

Quick backstory on this home. I purchased it less than 6 months ago as a foreclosure. The previous owners walked away from their hard work of updating this 1925 farm house. They had an eye for the farm house decor that is prevalent today. They did some marvelous updates including corrugated tin ceilings, new wood vinyl flooring throughout, a generous pantry, large laundry/mudroom with a toilet, shower & plumbing for new sink. Unfortunately, every update was left incomplete. I call my new home "The Finisher Upper".

The utility wiring, etc., shown in these pics are for the new wiring & hoses for the new HVAC. The home has many of the original built-ins common for the day. In this bathroom alone, I have 1 built in drawer, 2 large built-in cabinets, 1 small closet & this space which housed the built-in hamper. I do believe turning this space into some sort of additional storage is ideal. I love the suggestions of making the back panel removable for future access to the wiring.

Again, thank y'all for your wonderful suggestions. I deeply appreciate the help!

Enjoy!

Renee'

• Jeanne Cox Dodge
    Jeanne Cox Dodge

Secret door for access

• 19698379
    19698379

I like Lorraine's idea about adding wood or something to make a wall and painting it. How about adding some built in or free standing shelves? Or maybe a full length mirror? Or install a closet rod for extra clothing storage? Just a few ideas. Take them or not as you wish.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

drywall back of it,paint it & add shelving, maybe a recycled sliding barn door