Simple Decorating Tips
Simple Decorating Tips
  • New Richmond, WI

First Aid... Remove Sticky Residue

$1

Hi, Liz here, from SimpleDecoratingTips.com a DIY & decorating blog for everything home to cottage. (This post was first published on Simple Decorating Tips. )

first aid remove sticky residue

A few years ago, I shared with you how to get a leftover sticky label off a jar.This time, it’s not a jar I needed to remove the sticky residue from, it’s our wood floor!

Although I opted for soft pine flooring for the main floor of our recently renovated house, I want lots of dings and dents and wear marks to age it, but I don’t want sticky patches!

When we put a pair of chairs in front of the fireplace, I put on those sticky felt chair pad floor protectors. In most cases that would work, except in our case it didn’t. Reason is because the floors are somewhat rustic with gaps and uneven seams between the wide planks.

When the chairs got slid around, the pads on the bottom of the feet got snagged in the cracks of the floor, eventually peeling them back so that the sticky part was facing down and the sticky residue of the pads scraped off onto the floor.

Eventually, those sticky spots got covered with dust and ash from the fireplace leaving this look:

first aid remove sticky residue

There were several dark spots, streaks and marks all over the floor in front of the fireplace where the chairs sit.

Time to get out the cooking oil!

first aid remove sticky residue

My mom taught me this is the best thing to remove sticky residue with. Some people use peanut butter, but I don’t care for the lingering odor of P.B. so I stick, (or should I say UN-stick) with cooking oil for my glue remover.

I simply pour out a little oil onto the rag.

first aid remove sticky residue

A good textured terry rag like this one works best…

Then rub the residue.

first aid remove sticky residue

To remove sticky residue on some spots, I found it best to wipe on some oil on those bad spots and let it soak in a minute before going back and rubbing it off. That seems to loosen up the surface a bit.

first aid remove sticky residue

There’s the proof that it works!

This totally removed the stickiness and the dark color that was from dust and ash sticking to the tack of the residue.

first aid remove sticky residue

There is the same place on the floor. All the dark sticky residue is gone.

The dents are still there, and many more to come! I want this floor to look like it’s had a history. 

Last thing to do is a quick wash of the floor, to clean up the cooking oil residue,

using my all time,(ALWAYS streak free!!) favorite floor cleaner,  . (affiliate link) No more sticky residue to peel off onto the floor! They come in many different sizes. I used the right sized round ones for our dining chairs.

They go on super slick, (as long as you order the correct size!) I quick snapped a pic of my husband putting them on one of the chairs:

first aid remove sticky residue

This is what they look like on:

first aid remove sticky residue

These chair leg floor protectors will stay put when the chairs get slid across the cracks between the floor planks.

Simple Decorating Tips