What is the best way to clean windows?

+4

Vinegar? Newspapers? Windex? I have gotten several different suggestions from friends and neighbors. What is the best way?

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Apr 04, 2019

Mix one part hot water to one part distilled vinegar. Sponge cleaning: Moisten the window, using the solution, then clean. Squeegee cleaning: Always dampen the squeegee first and clean from the topdown, wiping the edge of the squeegee after every stroke. Clean only when there is no direct sun on the windows

• I've heard of lots of ways too. I always use glass cleaner and newspaper. The newspaper does help prevent streaking.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Apr 04, 2019

I love the windex with newspapers method!! Works great to get a streak free, however I never have newspapers anymore so I bought a squeegee to have on hand. Sometimes I just use hot water with a washcloth and squeegee it. Works great.

• Oliva Oliva on Apr 04, 2019

If windows are very dirty, washing first with very warm water and a few tsps. of Dawn Ultra to a 2 gallon bucket to cut grime and greasy residue.

Follow with vinegar or Sprayway Glass cleaner, applied to a microfiber cloth, then applied to windows.

Rinse with warm water or warm water and vinegar.

Squeegee the window, wiping blade dry between swipes.

Wipe any remaining moisture with newspaper, or a soft microfiber cloth.

Never use cloths that have been laundered with fabric softener.

• The best way is the one that works best for you! I use vinegar, newspaper and a lint free cloth. If a big picture window, I use a squeegee.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Apr 04, 2019

I have tried every method I could find and finally discovered e-cloths. They clean with just water--no chemicals and leave mirrors and windows absolutely spotless and lint free. https://www.ecloth.com/products/10615w_window-cleaning-pack-2-cloths

• TheHoneycombHome TheHoneycombHome on Apr 07, 2019

Windex and newspapers! My grandmother used to do this. The newspaper doesn't leave any streaks or lint!