Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How to make brass or copper shine again?

Joy30150932Debbie KBetsy
+4

I have some old brass and copper washed in a dishwasher, & it is dull looking now.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Just an FYI for future, never put copper, brass, aluminium or silver in the dishwasher, it ruins it. Dishwasher soap contains sand or other things that etches. All you can do is try to polish them, I like Brasso or Wright's polishes.

• Dwp7470b

Try toothpaste.

• Morgan McBride

brass you can use brasso to shine it

Hi Mary: You can use Barkeepers Friend, that works fast and I've been using it on my pots for years. As the others have stated, it's not a good idea to put copper pots in the dishwasher. Or, for that matter, any pot that has anything other than a metal handle in the dishwasher. The soap and heat will discolour it and it will look just awful:( Good luck

• Joy30150932

You can clean copper with a mix of vinegar and salt. Rub it on and then clean it off.

Mix 1 tsp of salt in 1 cup vinegar, add enough flour to make a paste. Put on your object for 15 minutes and then clean it off. Do not use ammonia products on brass or copper as it ruins the finish.