A Great Find and a Little History Lesson

10K Views
Recently I was at one of my favorite thrift stores and I spotted this beauty. I was immediately taken in. I don't normally run across desks that look like this. I knew it was going home with me. It was sturdy and heavy. A good workhorse of a desk.
  • painted furniture desk white wood, painted furniture
I brought it home and sanded the top of the table. I painted the rest in ASCP Old White. While I was painting, I spotted the sign saying it was the property of Suburban Hospital. Suburban is located in Bethesda, MD and opened its doors in 1943. I know this desk isn't that old, but it was nice to have a little history on it.
I waxed it in MMS Clear Wax and MMS Antique Wax. I bought the drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby.
The top was stained with Minwax Dark Walnut and has two coats of poly.
I love the woodgrain on this piece! I wish I could keep it, but it sold pretty quickly and is now in a great home. For more info, check out my blog.

Suggested materials for this project:

LeAnne

Ask a Question
      • Wendy Bass
        Wendy Bass Richmond Hill, GA

LeAnne, this is such a great find. I have never seen such a cute desk. I love knowing a little story too-it makes the piece even prettier. Great job!

• Jeanette S
          Jeanette S Atlanta, GA

What a great little desk! A couple of baskets on those shelves and all your junk is out of sight! Love this! Great job!