LeAnne
LeAnne
  • Gaithersburg, MD

A Great Find and a Little History Lesson

Recently I was at one of my favorite thrift stores and I spotted this beauty. I was immediately taken in. I don't normally run across desks that look like this. I knew it was going home with me. It was sturdy and heavy. A good workhorse of a desk.
painted furniture desk white wood, painted furniture
I brought it home and sanded the top of the table. I painted the rest in ASCP Old White. While I was painting, I spotted the sign saying it was the property of Suburban Hospital. Suburban is located in Bethesda, MD and opened its doors in 1943. I know this desk isn't that old, but it was nice to have a little history on it.
I waxed it in MMS Clear Wax and MMS Antique Wax. I bought the drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby.
The top was stained with Minwax Dark Walnut and has two coats of poly.
I love the woodgrain on this piece! I wish I could keep it, but it sold pretty quickly and is now in a great home. For more info, check out my blog.
LeAnne

• Linda Parkins

Love it! Did you stain the top?

• LeAnne

Yes Linda, the top is stained in Dark Walnut.

• Cherie

I have this exact table but reversed! (Shelves on the left.) It belonged to my husbands mother - she was 86 when she passed but couldn't tell me anything about it. I'm guessing it's from the 30's maybe 40's. There is no loss, in my mind, to painting these tables as it is strictly utilitarian and not "craftsmanship"! Mine is not yet painted but it will be when I redo my sewing room - it's currently holding my sewing machine. Yours turned out very nice!!!