Asked on Apr 13, 2019

How do I get rid of weeds in the flower beds?

Simple Decorating TipsSherry Logan HuntDesertRose
+1

I can’t get rid of the weeds!! I have put down fabric; a deep layer of mulch on top, and still so many weeds!!! I want to make the garden pretty without spending every waking moment pulling weeds!!

• Weeds are spread by wind, wildlife and people. The weeds you have are on top of the landscape fabric and shallow rooted and will easily pluck out. Having a garden is work. I weed every day while I am exercising the dogs. If you have the option, hire a weekly yard service to do for you.

• DesertRose

Sherry, weeds can get in the mulch and grow too. Once a week I examine my gardens for new weeds and pull them up. This prevents them from taking hold. If all else fails, I have shredded paper, soaked it in a bucket of water, and put down a fat layer of the wet shredded paper then mulch on top. NOTHING grows where I put this down! So you can butt it right up close to your plants. Eventually you can till it under and start over if you like. It makes good fiber in the soil.

• Sherry Logan Hunt

Thank you. I’m going to give the wet paper a try!!

• Simple Decorating Tips

I'm with ya! I don't want to have to do daily maintenance on the gardens!! Here is a shopping link for my favorite product that keeps weeds at bay.