Annie
Annie
  • Canada

Defrost Your Freezer in Under 60 Minutes (and Organize It Too!)

$5

Defrosting our deep freezer is a routine thing here. Twice a year it gets done even though I can't stand this chore. Defrosting gives me a chance to reorganize it too.

Want to get your freezer defrosted, cleaned and organized? All is less than 60 minutes?

defrost your freezer in under 60 minutes and organize it too

One of the best reasons to defrost your freezer is that it really does help to run better. We spend less on the electricity to run it because it operates more efficiently.

Plus all that ice buildup cuts down on the actual amount of storage space you have. And before long, your packages of frozen food will get ice crystals on them too.

First unplug your freezer and leave the door open. Empty the contents (we like to use coolers but use whatever works for you).

I always try to organize as I go, because over the year, we end up just putting things in the freezer wherever they fit. That just leads to confusion about how much we have of a certain food.

I keep the beef all together and the pork in another cooler. Everything gets separated to make it easier to repack later.

Boil large pots of water on the stove. Once your freezer is empty, put one pot on each of the shelves. Close the freezer door now.

Leave it to warm, while you get a bucket of soapy water and some rags. Old towels are good too. You can spread one out on the bottom of the freezer to catch the extra drips.

Depending on how much ice build up you have, you may need to reheat the water and repeat.

Clean the walls, shelves and door compartments using soapy water and then dry afterward.

I like to empty my bucket before gathering that bottom towel up. It's probably pretty soaked and I can just put it right in the empty bucket.

After all the water is sopped up, I can replace all the food. I try to keep all the chicken together, the pork on another shelf, beef on another.

Since we often have a lot of fish in the freezer, that can easily be held in the lowest basket. We fish in the Spring but don't process it until the Fall. Here's how we pressure can salmon and meat.

Figure out how to organize your freezer so it is best for your needs. Do what works best for your family.

Annie

• Cheri

A heat gun used carefully can be used to defrost or even a hair dryer

• Crafter
    Yesterday

I use a hair dryer. Works great!