Columbia GB
Columbia GB
  • Salida, CO
Asked on Apr 17, 2019

How to cut and finish the edge of a chain link fence privacy screen?

Ola MaceLynn SorrellNancy Turner
+17

I need to cut a privacy screen for a chain link fence similar to the photo. It's much too long. Has anyone ever done this? How did you finish the edge? Sew it? Glue it? How long has it been since you've done this? How well did it hold up? Would you do anything differently?

q how to cut and finish the edge of a chain link fence privacy screen
  • Pamela

I would buy some bias tape from a store that sells material .( Or from Amazon) I am pretty sure that's what is called , it is pretty much a finished edge , it's folded in half. I would skip the edge of the privacy screen between the edges and use a glue like E6000 , maybe a hot glue gun would , work , but not sure . Then curtain clips and attach . Good luck !

• Marcia whitney

I would sew two layers of the same kind of webbing/tape used along the top edge, one to the front, one to the back.

• SM

Make your own bias tape out of the extra privacy screen. Make sure and fold the "Raw" edges to the inside. Then, if you have a heavy enough sewing machine, sew it on, if not you may have to hand sew it with fishing line, or glue it. Here is a video on making your own bias tape. The material kind of bias tape will not hold up long in the weather. How to make Bias Tape: single-fold and double-fold - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxwfCWGUkY

• Jan Clark

I usually use Gorilla Tape to edge things outdoors. You just fold it over and tape. If you need to because the screening fabric is thick, use a mallet to really get the tape to stick to itself. It's pretty easy to add grommets to the edge and then whatever you want to attach the panel to the fence. My taped stuff has lasted (so far) over a year which includes 1 Texas summer and 2 Texas winters. I'm thinking bias tape would work really well but not last as long. Just sayin'.

• Columbia GB

I like this idea of using Gorilla Tape. Maybe not over, but as reinforcement with the mesh folded around it. I'll have to test how well it sticks. I'll try the mallet. The mesh is held to the fence with plastic ties, so using the tape as reinforcement in some manner will help strengthen it. We have 100' summers here with 45 mph winds at least once a week. I'm in the high desert in Southern CO. Thanks, Jan!

I go with Jan's suggestion. I'm not fond of Gorilla glue. I use E6000. But I would cut the bottom and not the top for a cleaner look. Also I would make two folds gluing each fold. That would give strength for grommets. You can buy grommets kits.

• Columbia GB

I wasn't clear enough, it's the width I need to cut. But some combination of Gorilla Tape, maybe glue if needed, should do the trick. Thank you.

• Mogie

We have a thin metal cap that goes over the top.

• Sue Popp

Dotty but I’m interested in the fabric/privacy screen your adding to the chain link. Could you tell me what it is /size/cost & where to get it ? Thank you so much !

• Sue Popp

Woops that’s Sorry but I interested in the fabric etc

• Nancy Turner

I agree with Jan, Gorilla tape holds really well and should last a really long time. I used it on the vinyl convertible top of my '94 olds cutlass convertible when an icicle that drop off the house in the wind pierced the top putting a rip in it. I started out with regular duct tape and had to replace it about weekly, no matter what the weather. I found the gorilla tape and used it once and didn't have to replace it in the two years that the car lived. This was through sub zero weather, snow, rain, and really hot humid weather in a daily driver car at speeds up to 70MPH. I have since used the tape many times to fix things, even air mattresses and it holds.

• Columbia GB

I never thought of the Gorilla tape. I can barely unwrap it from the roll, really tough stuff. But it seems like the perfect solution. Thank you.

• Lynn Sorrell

depends the weather where you live & how long you want this too last. I'd glue cut/frayed edging and then sew binding edging used for outdoor upholstery over top then add grommets. wind is an issue but the tempurature changes hot to cold will matter more. I'd use E6000 or E68000 for the adhesive it's weatherproof under binding/edging

• Ola Mace

You sent me a picture of how to redo a chain link fence with lattice could you send it to me again please