Asked on Apr 25, 2019

How to remove rust from a cast iron wood stove?

CuriousOneAlexJeremy Hoffpauir
+6

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Stiff wire brush

• Em
    Em

Scrape away the rust with a wire brush or paint scraper until all of it is gone.

Use a steel-wool pad (fine grade) to scrub powdery rust from the surface.

Apply bacon grease to newspaper and wipe away rust. ...

Apply white vinegar to a wire Brillo pad and scrub away the rust, adding more vinegar as necessary.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Use WD40, spray on and let it soak. Use more with a wire brush and or steel wool. Once cleaned you can paint with the black heat resistant paint or just spray a coat of Wd40 to protect it. Wipe off excess.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

vinegar and stiff wire brush or steel wool rinse really well-----is it alot or spots?? stationary in your house or are you rehabbing it? alot of rust grinder with wire brush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=votMqIyzLeg For a bare metal finish you can use acids, a wire brush, a power drill grinder or brush or a sand-blaster.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

This product works great: https://amzn.to/2GwUBvI

• Lynn Sorrell
      Lynn Sorrell

Evapo Rust is not a rust remover it's a converter. Can I use Rust Converter on my grill, cast iron wood stove, engine, boiler, or any other heated surface? No, Rust Converters are not heat resistant and should not be used on any surface that will be heated.What is Rust Converter? a water-based primer, contains two active ingredients: Tannic acid and an organic polymer. The first ingredient, tannic acid, reacts with iron oxide (rust) and chemically converts it to iron tannate, a dark-colored stable material. Tannins are a group of water- and alcohol-soluble natural products extracted from fruits, trees and grasses. The second active ingredient, 2-Butoxyethanol, is an organic polymer that provides a protective primer layer. The overall chemical reaction converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating that serves as an excellent primer for both oil and epoxy based paints.

• Alex
    Alex

i need ideas for redoing Formica counter tops

• CuriousOne
    CuriousOne

Sorry, maybe it's me but this is confusing to me. It says it is not safe to use Rust Converter on things like grills or cast iron stove and yet later on it says how it converts cast iron. Is there anything else one can use? I know to get as much rust off as possible--have done that--sanding, vinegar/water solution and put a bit of oil on it to help it from rusting between jobs. I also have areas in a small (approx. 12") cast iron stove that are hard to get to--the inside. Any other ideas/suggestions? I'm at my wits end with this project that I thought would be simple. Thank you...anyone!!