DIY Tiered Tray Upcycled From Thrift Store Finds

$20

This DIY tiered tray was upcycled from everyday thrift store finds by Holly from Gracie's Place! Keep reading to find out how you can make this project yourself right at home.

diy tiered tray upcycled from thrift store finds

I am forever swooning over tiered trays on Instagram and Pinterest. I have been searching high and low for one that I like at all my favourite home decor stores but the other day it occurred to me that I could just make my own — and at a fraction of the cost, too!

Step One:

Using a mitre saw, cut your spindle.

This step will vary depending on the type of spindle that you have. I found these spindles at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. They were a little too long and I didn’t want the tiered tray to tip. I cut my spindle in between one of the grooves in the middle. If you can find a short enough spindle, you may not need to cut it.

Step Two:

Using a foam brush, paint on one layer of Country Chic Paint  in the shade, Simplicity.

Step Three:

After you have allowed the first coat of paint to dry sufficiently, apply a second coat of Simplicity.

Step Four:

Using a piece of cheesecloth, apply the Country Chic Paint Antiquing Wax on the raised edges of the spindle.

Step Five:

Blend the wax in really well with your cheesecloth.

Allow the spindles to fully dry.

Step Eleven:

Wait two minutes and press the bottom of the cake pan onto the top of the spindle. Use something heavy to keep the pan and spindle from separating or moving while the glue is setting.

Step Twelve:

Once the glue is set, remove the weight and glue the spindle with the drawer pull in place so that it’s in line and straight with the spindle below.

Step Six:

Using a drill and a 3/16-inch bit to drill a hole into the top of one of the spindle pieces.

Step Seven:

Stick your drawer pull into the drilled hole and fix in place with E6000.

Step Eight:

Apply E6000 all around the bottom of the spindle piece without the drawer pull, and in the center of one of the cake pans.

Step Nine:

Wait two minutes, and then press the spindle into the cake pan. Use a clean piece of cheesecloth to wipe away any excess glue.

Step Ten:

Apply glue to the top of the spindle that was glued to the first cake pan and glue to the bottom of the other cake pan.

Step Thirteen:

Decorate and stage your tiered tray to suit your style!

Leave a comment below to tell us what you think of this DIY tiered tray project!

• Spindles
  • Two or three plates, platters or trays  (Thrift store)
  • All-in-One Decor Paint – Simplicity  (Country Chic Paint)

To see more: https://blog.countrychicpaint.com

• Kathy
    30 minutes ago

Is there a picture of the finished piece? I can't find one.