The 7 Best Leather Cleaners and Conditioners on the Market
By Corrie Pelc
Leather is one of those fabrics that everyone loves to touch. It's soft, it's shiny — there's really nothing to not like about leather. It also happens to be very durable, which makes it a great option for furniture, car interiors, handbags, shoes, and jackets — basically items that get knocked around and have a lot of use.
Although leather has a lot going for it, it does require proper maintenance to keep it looking good and functioning properly. Dirt and grime can build up on leather and you can’t just use water or any type of cleaner on it — tap water can damage leather, as can harsh cleaners. Both can also make the leather dry out, causing it to crack and peel. To keep leather clean and properly moisturized, you need to use a leather cleaner that's made just to treat this special fabric.
Here's a look at the top leather cleaners you can buy right now to keep your leather items in excellent shape.
Best Leather Cleaner Spray: TriNova Leather CleanerAn easy-to-use spray leather cleaner that helps prolong the life of any leather piece you use it on.
Best Leather Conditioner: Leather Honey Leather ConditionerAn Amazon bestselling leather conditioner with over 50 years of history.
Best Combination Leather Cleaner and Conditioner: Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Cleaner/ConditionerA combination leather cleaner and leather conditioner that also offers UV protection.
Best Leather Cleaning and Conditioning Wipes: Weiman Leather Conditioning WipesAn excellent leather cleaner and conditioner placed in a convenient wipe.
Best Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit: Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner KitA leather cleaner and conditioner formulated to work together to keep your leather looking great.
Best Leather Cleaner with UV Protection: Tyger Tonneau Cover Cleaner & Protectant 2-in-1 SprayA leather cleaner that also provides excellent UV protection on leather and vinyl items that spend a lot of time outside.
Best Versatile Leather Cleaner: Mothers VLR Conditioner and CleanerA leather cleaner and conditioner that can also clean other car materials like vinyl and rubber.
What's the Difference Between a Leather Cleaner and Conditioner?
A leather cleaner is a special solvent designed to gently remove grime and dirt build-up off of leather without damaging it. Leather cleaners are very mild and are designed not to harm natural leather.
Leather conditioners are designed to replace any oils that natural leather may have lost over time and through use. The loss of those oils is what can cause leather to crack and peel. Leather conditioners help moisturize the leather so it stays supple and smooth and can be used to revitalize vintage leather items.
For proper care of your natural leather items, you should use both a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner. There are some leather cleaners on the market that are a combination cleaner/conditioner, and other times you’ll find kits that include both products since they are both needed for optimal leather care.
Test Factors We Considered When Picking the Best Leather Cleaners
Here’s a rundown of the test factors we used when compiling our list of the best leather cleaners:
- Price: With leather cleaners at so many different price points, price should definitely be a factor in your decision.
- Bottle Size: How much leather cleaner does the user get for the money?
- Application: How is the leather cleaner applied — is it a spray? A liquid? In a wipe?
- What It Cleans: Can this leather cleaner be used to clean any other fabrics?
- What It Doesn’t Clean: Are there any leather fabrics or other types of materials this cleaner should not be used on?
- Added Benefits: Does the cleaner provide any extra protection to the leather such as waterproofing or UV protection?
Here’s a look at our list of the best leather cleaners to buy in 2022.
Best Leather Cleaner Spray: TriNova Leather Cleaner
If you're looking for a good leather cleaner, the search stops with the TriNova Leather Cleaner. This leather cleaner easily sprays on to remove dirt and grime from leather fabrics on furniture, car seats, purses, and shoes. Just spray and wipe with a microfiber towel to clean your leather and it’ll leave it looking shiny and soft without any sticky residue. The spray can be used on not just leather, but also vinyl, durablend, compound, saffiano, faux, and other leather or leather-like materials. And the special formula of TriNova Leather Cleaner helps prolong the life of your leather goods, as well.
Best Leather Conditioner: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
With almost 35,000 ratings and 4.5 out of 5 stars, there's no guessing why the Leather Honey Leather Conditioner is our top pick for the best leather conditioner. This Amazon bestseller has been used since 1968 to add new life to dried-out and old leather. The special formula is designed to penetrate deep into leather to revitalize it and does so with no odor or sticky residue afterward. It's also a non-toxic and gentle formula, using no solvents, animals products, or silicone. Once applied via a microfiber rag, the leather conditioner will protect your leather goods for over six months. And Leather Honey Leather Conditioner adds water repellency to leather, helping to protect it from the elements.
- Bestseller on Amazon with almost 35,000 ratings
- Non-toxic formula
- Adds water repellency when used
- Bit pricey for a leather conditioner alone
Best Combination Leather Cleaner and Conditioner: Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Cleaner/Conditioner
If you like the idea of a combo product that is both a leather cleaner and leather conditioner, then you'll love Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. This product is actually a 3-in-1 as it cleans, conditions, and protects with every application. The non-greasy formula cleans dirt and grime, while also conditioning with a formula made of premium conditioners and aloe. And Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner also add UV protection to whatever leather fabric it's applied to, helping to prevent aging and fading from the sun's harmful rays.
- Lots of product for the price
- 3-in-1 formula cleans, conditions, and protects
- Easy-to-use spray formula
- None that we can see!
Best Leather Cleaning and Conditioning Wipes: Weiman Leather Conditioning Wipes
If you want a leather cleaner that is extremely easy to use and where you don't have to worry about spilling, then you'll want to check out the Weiman Leather Conditioning Wipes. These pre-moistened wipes come ready to use — just wipe to quickly clean and add luster back into your leather thanks to the six natural oils in the cleaning formula. While these handy wipes are a great option for keeping in your car, they can also be used on furniture, coats, shoes, briefcases — pretty much any leather good you can think of. They can also be used on any type of leather and be used to help renew worn leather. And each wipe adds UV protection to help save your leather items from sun damage.
- Pre-moistened wipes are convenient and spill-proof
- Adds UV protection to leather fabric when used
- Can be used to renew worn leather
- Some may consider disposable wipes wasteful
Best Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit: Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit
If you prefer applying separate leather cleaner and conditioner (for example, if you only need to condition your leather every six months but wish to clean it more), then a kit like the Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit is right for you. This product duo is another Amazon bestseller with over 28,500 ratings and 4.6 out of 5 stars. The leather cleaner comes in a handy spray bottle and features a specially-balanced formula that helps clean the leather by getting into its pores and lifting out dirt and grime. And the leather conditioner contains Vitamin E for added moisture and also adds UV protection. The Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit can be used on fine natural, durable sealed, and synthetic leather fabrics.
- Kit includes both leather cleaner and conditioner
- Cleaner gets down into leather pores to lift out dirt and grime
- Can be used on fine natural, durable sealed, and synthetic leather fabrics
- Bit pricey
Best Leather Cleaner with UV Protection: Tyger Tonneau Cover Cleaner & Protectant 2-in-1 Spray
If you're looking for just a leather cleaner with some added protection for your leather items, Tyger Tonneau Cover Cleaner & Protectant 2-in-1 Spray may be what you're looking for. Specially formulated for use on leather and vinyl, this cleaner applies easily through its spray bottle to clean dirt and dust from leather surfaces. Once sprayed on, it also provides excellent UV protection for up to 30 days that repels new dust and grease from clinging to leather surfaces. This makes the Tyger Tonneau Cover Cleaner & Protectant 2-in-1 Spray a great option for cleaning and protecting convertible tops, tonneau covers on pickup trucks, door panels, and all sorts of other leather and vinyl surfaces.
- 2-in-1 formula cleans and adds 30-day UV protection
- Specially formulated for use on leather and vinyl
- Easy-to-apply spray bottle
- Only for use on leather and vinyl
Best Versatile Leather Cleaner: Mothers VLR Conditioner and Cleaner
If you need a leather cleaner that can safely tackle a variety of other surfaces as well, then Mothers VLR Conditioner and Cleaner is something you need in your cleaning arsenal. VLR stands for vinyl, leather, and rubber, making it an extremely versatile cleaner. The formula not only cleans the surface of leather but also conditions it with a blend of oil and lanolin to add sheen and strength to the fabric. The leather cleaner can also be used to help remove stubborn stains and ground-in dirt. And Mothers VLR Conditioner and Cleaner adds UV resistance to everything you spray it on.
- Works on vinyl, leather, and rubber materials
- Cleans and conditions at the same time
- Adds UV resistance to materials it’s applied to
- Manufacturer warning says the product may temporarily darken some leather
General Leather Care Tips
Now that you know our top picks for leather cleaners and leather conditioners, here are some tips on how to clean leather and keep it looking amazing:
- Clean and condition twice a year. To keep leather in the best shape, you want to clean and condition it at least every six months. If it's something like leather furniture or a car seat that gets more wear and tear, you may want to clean and condition those three to four times a year.
- Stay away from the sun. As you saw on our list, many leather cleaners and conditioners offer UV protection. That is because the sun is not kind to leather — the heat can fade its color and dry it out quicker. Whenever possible, use sunshades or park in a garage to protect car seats and make sure to store small leather goods in closets and other areas with no sunlight coming in to protect them.
- Don't get it wet. Water is also not a friend of leather. If water spills on your leather couch or leather jacket, dry it immediately so it doesn't stain. And try not to wear leather shoes or jackets when the weather calls for rain unless you have a good umbrella.
Do you have a leather cleaner that keeps your leather shiny and soft? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?