The 6 Best Air Mattresses That Don't Skimp on Comfort
By Corrie Pelc
An air mattress is one of those items that you don’t really realize you need until, well… you need it.
For example, when extended family visits at the last minute and you suddenly need to find them a place to sleep, having a quality air mattress makes that an easy problem to resolve. Or when you arrive at your camping site and realize you’ll be sleeping on rocks for three nights, an air mattress will make your trip so much better. And when your kids start wanting to have their friends sleep over, an air mattress is certainly an important thing to have.
If you suddenly realize you need an air mattress or the one you have needs replacing, the good news is there are tons of high-quality air mattresses on the market right now. Let’s take a look at the best air bed mattresses you can purchase.
Best Overall Air Mattress: SoundAsleep Dream Series Air MattressA top-selling air mattress available in five sizes with a built-in pump and a one-year warranty.
Best Budget Air Mattress: Intex Dura-Beam Series Pillow Rest Raised AirbedA top-rated air mattress for under $50.
Best Luxury Air Mattress: REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Sleep System 40Keep comfy and cozy on an air bed mattress built for keeping sleepers warm in temperatures down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Best Air Mattress for Camping: Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump ComboNo longer worry if the ground is too hard for sleeping with this air mattress and foldable cot combo.
Best Queen Air Mattress: King Koil Queen Air Mattress with Built-in PumpA best-selling queen-sized air mattress that can fully inflate in just two minutes.
Best Air Mattress for Kids: The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed Portable Inflatable Air MattressAn air mattress built just for young ones.
How to Buy an Air Mattress
If it’s been a while since you’ve purchased an air bed mattress, here’s a refresher course on some things to look for:
- Single or Double Height: Most air mattresses come in either single or double height. A single-height air mattress is usually meant for camping or emergency uses and most times you inflate it by blowing into a tube with your mouth. Double-height air mattresses are designed to mimic a standard bed mattress and are blown up using an external pump or plugging in for the internal pump to work.
- Materials: Most air mattresses are made from plastic. However, it’s not the plastic you’re probably thinking of — materials have come a long way and are more resistant to punctures and built to last. Many air mattresses have a soft top layer made of a material like velvet for a more comfortable sleep. And some air mattresses even have a non-slip bottom so the mattress doesn’t move when you’re shifting around during the night.
- Pump: Sometimes an air mattress will require you to have an external air pump to inflate it. However, many of today’s air mattresses have an internal air pump so all you need to do is plug it in. If your air mattress is mainly for camping, look for one that has a 12-volt plug, which will work in your car's outlet.
Test Factors We Considered to Pick the Best Air Mattresses
Here’s a look at the test factors we used to determine our list of the top air mattresses you can buy right now.
- Size: What sizes does this air mattress come in — twin, queen, and/or king?
- Height: Is this air mattress a single or double height?
- Overall Material: What type of material is the air mattress mostly made from?
- Top Material: What type of material is the top surface of the air mattress made from? Many manufacturers place a soft material on the top for comfort.
- Weight Capacity: How much weight can this air bed mattress hold?
- Air Pump: Is the air pump included or does the user need to have one already or purchase one separately?
- Warranty: Does the manufacturer back its product?
Let’s take a look now at our list of the best air mattresses you can buy today.
Best Overall Air Mattress: SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
When it comes to the best-rated air bed you can buy right now, there's no denying it's the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress. This best-selling Amazon pick has almost 44,000 ratings at an average of 4.4 out of 5 stars. This double-height air mattress is available in five sizes, meaning you won't have any trouble finding the best size for your needs, and is made from eco-friendly PVC with a waterproof flocked topper for extra comfort. The mattress comes with a built-in one-click internal pump — just plug it in and off it goes, inflating in under four minutes. The inside of the SoundAsleep air mattress includes 40 internal air coils that add excellent support as you sleep and is backed by a one-year warranty.
- Available in five sizes
- Built with 40 internal air coils for added support while sleeping
- Made from eco-friendly PVC and waterproof flocked topper
- No sizes under $100
Best Budget Air Mattress: Intex Dura-Beam Series Pillow Rest Raised Airbed
Another high-ranking air mattress on Amazon — with over 12,000 reviews and 4.4 out of 5 stars — is the Intex Dura-Beam Series Pillow Rest Raised Airbed. With both twin and queen options for just under $50, there's no guessing why this air bed mattress is our pick for the best budget air mattress. Made from high-quality plastic, this air mattress features a velvety surface on top for added softness, as well as a built-in pillow once the mattress is inflated. The mattress inflates quickly through its built-in air pump — the queen size in a little over three minutes — and is waterproof, making it usable both inside and outside. The twin-sized air mattress can handle up to 300 pounds, while the queen doubles that maximum at 600 pounds. And when deflated, the Intex Dura-Beam Series Pillow Rest Raised Airbed comes with a convenient storage bag for easy transport and stowing.
- Both twin and queen sizes under $50
- Features velvet topper and inflated pillow for extra comfort
- Comes with a storage bag for easy transport and storing when deflated
- Only comes in two sizes
Best Luxury Air Mattress: REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Sleep System 40
If money is no object, then the most luxurious air mattress you can buy right now is the REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Sleep System 40. This queen-sized air bed mattress is built for comfort. The air mattress itself is insulated for use down to 40-degree F weather. It comes with a machine-washable quilted mattress cover that fits over the bed for an amazingly soft, padded top layer. It also comes with an insulated top quilt and attached top sheet that fits around the bottom of the mattress, helping to prevent drafts in cold weather. The air mattress is easily pumped up via the external hand pump it comes with. And The deflated REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Sleep System 40 is easily pumped up via the external hand pump it comes with, which fits in the included mattress storage bag so you can easily move the unit to and from campgrounds or around areas of your home.
- Insulated for use down to 40-degree F weather
- Quilted mattress cover provides a soft, padded top layer
- Insulated top quilt and attached top sheet add extra warmth
- Might be too low to the ground for some sleepers
Best Air Mattress for Camping: Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo
When camping, why sleep on the ground at all when you can sleep on the Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo? This air mattress fits on an included foldable steel cot — together they can accommodate a maximum of 300 pounds and a person up to six feet tall can comfortably stretch out. The air mattress is easily inflated with the included battery-powered external pump and slips into a zippered cloth sleeve. The air mattress also features a specially-designed air coil system for added comfort and support, and a double-lock valve to keep air from leaking out. The Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo kit comes in both twin and queen sizes and is backed by a one-year limited warranty.
- Combination air mattress and cot allows campers to sleep above the ground
- Air mattress features specially-designed air coils for added comfort and support
- Easily inflated with included external battery-operated air pump
- Air mattress is designed to be used with the included cot, which may not work for everyone
Best Queen Air Mattress: King Koil Queen Air Mattress with Built-in Pump
A queen-sized mattress is always the best size for when you want to sleep two at home or while camping. If you're looking for the best queen air mattress out there, then look no further than the King Koil Queen Air Mattress with a Built-in Pump. This top-seller on Amazon has almost 25,000 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 stars and comes in twin, queen, and California king sizes. Made from high-quality PVC, the air mattress features a soft quilted top for added comfort, as well as an inflated pillow. Speaking of inflation, that is all done through the mattress' internal pump that can blow up the mattress in just two minutes. The inside of the King Koil air bed mattress uses specially-designed air coils to fully support sleepers as they rest and, luckily, comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Features a soft quilted top and inflated pillow for added comfort
- Internal pump fully inflates mattress in two minutes
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Bit expensive
Best Air Mattress for Kids: The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed Portable Inflatable Air Mattress
Kids will love sleeping in The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed Portable Inflatable Air Mattress. Designed for pint-sized sleepers up to 100 pounds and age two and up, the air mattress can be used with standard crib-size sheets and blankets. While sleeping, the sheets and blanket can be tucked into the inner mattress, keeping them off the floor and the sleeper nice and snug. This air mattress is inflated through the included external electric air pump and inflates in just about five minutes. When fully inflated, the air mattress has raised rails to help ensure that a sleeping child does not roll off the mattress. And The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed Portable Inflatable Air Mattress is backed by a two-year warranty.
- Inflated side rails keep children from rolling off
- Fits crib-sized sheets and blankets that can be tucked into the inner mattress
- Backed by a two-year warranty
- 100-pound limit
Do you have an air mattress that brings you sweet dreams? Tell us about it in the comments below!