DIY Metallic Dollar Store Organization Bins

$2

Transform dollar bins with some metallic spray paint and customized tags to create a happy and simple organization system at about $2 per bin!

diy metallic dollar store organization bins

With three children, my house has been taken over by toys and clutter. In an effort to clean up and make the house more functional and enjoyable, we have been giving away old toys and coming up with processes to help keep our toys in the correct places. Today I am going to show you a VERY simple DIY featuring dollar store bins, some spray paint, and customizable tags. We now keep these bins at the bottom of the stairs and place toys that need to go back up in the playroom (which is upstairs) in each designated bin (one bin for each child). It has really helped my children understand that they need to be responsible for the toys they bring from/back to the playroom.

I love that this project only cost me about $2.00 per bin to make, and it is completely customizable. However, I would stick with a metallic spray paint so you get the higher end look of metal even though the bin is plastic.

I hope you enjoy making your own metallic organization bins using old plastic bins or dollar store bins.

To make your own metallic dollar store bins, you will need:

Plastic Bins from Dollar Tree or any dollar store.

-Metallic Spray Paint. (affiliate) I was very happy with this Design Master Rose Gold spray paint that I purchased on Amazon. The rose gold color and coverage was wonderful!

-Craft Paintbrush

-Craft Acrylic Paint. I used leftover craft acrylic paint that I had from previous projects.

-Customized Tags. (affiliate) I used the Recollections Wooden Gift Tags from Michaels.

Step 1: In a well ventilated area, spray paint the first coat onto the bin. Let it dry completely, then spray paint another coat, and another until you have full coverage. I applied 3 coats to my bins.

Wait until all coats dry completely.

*I suggest suspending the bin from a tree or any surface off the ground so you can get full coverage on all sides of the bin.

*This spray paint dried very quickly. Wear gloves if you would like. I didn't wear gloves and just used dish soap and a scrubber to get the spray paint off my fingers.

Step 2: While you are waiting for the paint to completely dry, create your customized tags.

*I used cute wooden tags from Michaels (link above) with some old craft paint to create a customized bin for each child. Not all of my children can read yet so the colors help them decipher which bin is for them, and I think they are pretty this way!

Step 3: Once your paint is dry on the bins and the tags, attach the tags to the bins front and center.

Then enjoy!

Elizabeth at Country Peony