A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Sweet Chair Update

$12

Last year, I found this adorable chair at a thrift shop for $5. It's been sitting in my garage ever since. Recently I've been rummaging through my things to find pieces for the little retail space I am renting with my friend. It's in a tea house so we are striving for a French Vintage vibe. I saw her in the corner a knew exactly what we were going to do. It's almost Tea Time!

sweet chair update

Humble beginnings. A good wipe down, removed the seat, staples, and fabric, inspected the foam, and it was good to go. Note: the chair frame was already the right color and perfectly distressed, saving me time and money on this project.

sweet chair update

I used the old fabric as a pattern to cut the two layers of muslin and seat fabric.

sweet chair update

When laying out the pattern, it's important to center the print.

sweet chair update

Once cut, I laid the muslin down first, then the fabric...smoothing it out over the foam. I then turned the seat over and stapled in place, pulling it taut and folding in the corners neatly.

sweet chair update

I cut coordinating fabric and made a ruffle long enough to run the length of three sides of the seat. I stapled it to the frame. Next, I stapled cording all around the seat frame, over the ruffle.

sweet chair update

I screwed the seat cushion back onto the chair frame, lining it up to sandwich the ruffle and cording neatly in between.

sweet chair update

And here she is, all ready for High Tea! Not quite so humble anymore.

Muslin

• Deb

What is the purpose of the two layers of muslin under the main fabric?

• A

I used it to build up the thickness of the seat fabric and to act as a barrier between the printed fabric and the foam. This gives the seat a professional feel and better durability.

• Debbie

This is beautiful and I have a similar chair which has been waiting for me.

My question is about the ruffle. Is the bottom of the ruffle raw edge or did you hem it? As I look at the pictures it appears in one of them the edge is raw. Thanking you in advance, Debbie

• Joanie

This is a beautiful chair with the ruffles......they sure add. I was wondering about a large pillow I have with ruffles. It is quilted and large enough for a chair. You lifted my thoughts. Thank you!

• Zsara Hamlin

I don’t sew. Did you have to sew the ruffle?

• Linda Hornig
      31 minutes ago

You could also gather the fabric with a needle and thread using a running stitch. Tie it off at the length of gathered fabric you need, and then staple as shown.