Mr Anonymous
Mr Anonymous
  • Dundalk, MD

How do i kill black birds?

KathyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAMiss HAv
+5

We have a couple of birds feeders to attract blue jays, orioles, cardinals, etc. but they all scatter when the black birds show up en masse to empty my feeders!

How do I go about getting rid of the black birds so the pretty, more colorful birds stay and are fed?

• Unique Creations By Anita

Hopefully not kill them. Unfortunately all birds have the same idea when it comes to free food. I can't see a way to pick and choice which birds will come.

• Columbia GB

These are probably European starlings. Short of shooting them, you can't stop them. One suggestion was to empty the feeders for a week until them move on. However, they will eventually come back. Google 'european starlings invasive'. They are not native and they are a problem in that they are reducing the populations of our native song birds by competing for nesting sites. Audubon says " It's okay to hate them".

• Miss HAv

killing birds is not an option...only like the 'pretty ones'?...how sad

• Columbia GB

Ah, I see. Well they do elicit a great deal of strong emotions, so the strong language directed toward starlings is quite common. Clearly, though, not practical.

The Audubon article linked above is an interesting read if you're not familiar with the background on these birds. They present a continually mounting, destructive force to our native wildlife that started well over a hundred years ago. The non issue of gang aggression at bird feeders is just the tip of the iceberg for these invaders. The aggression continues into spreading disease and parasites, forcing native birds out of nesting areas and slowly reducing their populations. Generations of children from now may never see a bluebird, a downy woodpecker, a chickadee, a nuthatch, etc etc etc.

It truly is a sad and seemingly unstoppable situation.

• You don't get a choice. If you feed the birds, you feed whoever turns up, you don't get to pick and choose. Nature doesn't work that way. It's all or nothing. Just let them get their fill and they move on. I get red winged blackbirds. They do the same thing. I just put more seed out when they leave.

• Kathy

Put out one feeder with small holes for small seeds that only small birds can get it out. You can buy these at a bird store. Also another feeder close by for the other bigger birds if you want.