Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Easy Fix for Ugly Drawers

$40

I purchased a vintage dresser at a local thrift store. The exterior was in OK shape with some minor flaws, but the interiors of all the drawers were in rough shape. Luckily there is an easy fix which I will share with you today.

easy fix for ugly drawers

This is one of the drawer interiors AFTER I cleaned it up. All the drawers are in similar or worse shape. It's not something I would want to put my clothes in! My plan is to line the drawer bottoms with a pretty fabric, but first I need a clean surface to work with.

easy fix for ugly drawers

I applied two coats of a stain blocking primer. Unfortunately, some of the stains were persistent and bled through the primer. I was worried that the stains might also later bleed through my fabric, so I touched up the stained areas with two additional coats of clear shellac. That did the trick! Next I applied two coats of white paint to the drawer interiors.

easy fix for ugly drawers

After measuring the drawers, I cut the fabric and then set it in place. (I've summarized the process here, but please visit my blog post for more tips on getting a professional result!) Next I carefully lifted and folded half the fabric over and applied Mod Podge (affiliate link) evenly over the surface. I smoothed the fabric back into place and then repeated the process for the other half.

easy fix for ugly drawers

Even if careful measurements are taken, not every drawer is perfectly square. So make sure the fabric in the front is lined up as precisely as possible and let any imperfections in the alignment happen in the back of the drawer which is never really seen.

easy fix for ugly drawers

Now the drawers are not only clean and fresh but beautiful, too! I don't have a link for the actual fabric, but the brand is Waverly.

easy fix for ugly drawers

Refurbishing the drawers was the key element of this project. But the rest of the dresser received a makeover, too. If you're interested in learning more I would like to invite you to stop by my blog to see the full project.

(A note regarding the price estimate: I purchased the fabric for less than $10. The other materials were items I had on hand, but I think you could definitely complete this project for less than $50. The time estimate is just that -- an estimate. It does not include dry time.)

Patricia

• Jjqq

Beautiful. I also love the wall - is it wall paper or ??

• Patricia

Thank you Jjqq. The background is a wall paper from my computer.

• Valentine

So Patricia, did you rough cut the fabric and then use a straight blade to cut off the excess fabric. You didn’t exactly mention or show how you did that part. This is a question for Patricia, the poster.

• Polly Lakes

What is shellac?? Are you talking about a gloss over the paint and if so what kind would you recommend?

• Patricia

Hi Polly, I used a clear shellac. It is glossy but I wouldn't use it as a sealant for paint as I think it would yellow. I use it as a stain blocker. It's sold online or you can find it at home improvement stores.

• Neva Dew

Love this - the colors are great! I re-did an antique secretary, but the drawers were still kind of yucky inside. I didn't want to attach fabric to the drawers, so I got poster boards at the $ Store, pieced them together, and cut to fit each drawer (yes each is custom as the drawers are not equal in size, nor are they square). I used an old sheet and attached it with a thin layer of Tacky GLue, using an old credit card as a squeegee. Now there is a bright watercolor print in the bottom of each drawer when opened, and nothing is permanent, so it can be changed if desired.

• Patricia
      19 minutes ago

I just love your idea and think I might give it a try on a project. Thanks!

• Em

It turned out very nice. You can also use pre-pasted wallpaper and do the entire inside of the drawers. Quick and easy.