Staci Marie
Staci Marie
  • Coleman, MI

DIY No Sew Drop Cloth Curtains

30

We all know that buying curtains for your home can get very expensive rather quickly. I'm all about budget friendly home decor, so I knew that I wanted to try to DIY my own curtains. The one big obstacle I had was that I can't sew. So I used a NO SEW option.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

Materials List:

Drop cloths that fit your windows (I used 4' x 12' panels)

Fabric Scissors

Measuring Tape

Cutting Mat

Fabric-TAC permanent adhesive

Curtain Ring w/clip (I used 1.5” rings in a set of 40 from Amazon)

Curtain Rod

The first thing I did was wash & dry my drop cloths. (note: they may shrink so take that in account when choosing the size of drop cloth for your specific project)

TIP: To achieve a whiter curtain you can bleach your drop cloths.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

Find an area where you can lay out the drop cloth fully and make your folds & cuts without interference.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

With your drop cloth laid out fold down the top drop. Play around with how much of a drop you want at the top of the curtain. I have large windows so I chose a 15 inch drop. Using a measuring tape I made sure my drop was even from the top of every clip to the bottom of the drop. I did not measure the space between my clips, but placed them as I liked. I placed my end clips in a 1/2" from the end of the panel. I also like a more structured look at the top, so I used 10 curtain clips spaced evenly on each 4' panel.

TIP: For a more relaxed droopy look you can use less clips spaced further apart.

From the top of the folded drop, I measure my desired length. I like a slight puddle on the floor so I chose to cut my curtains at 83 inches long. No matter what length you need for your specific project, make sure you add 1 inch to your total for the hem.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

What's that saying? “Measure twice, cut once.”

That rings very true on this project.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

Once you've made your cut you need to fold over your hem & use your Fabric–TAC adhesive to create your hem.

TIP: A little goes a long way. Do not saturate your cloth.

Glue down 6-12 inches at a time and press the fabric together for a few seconds, making sure it adheres before moving on to the next section. I allowed the adhesive to dry for 5-10 minutes before hanging them up.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

There you have it, beautiful, easy & cost effective curtains that you can make for every room in your house!

Each set (2 panels) took me 30 minutes to make. Once you have your specific measurements figured out you will find it goes much quicker for additional panels.

diy no sew drop cloth curtains

Note: Drop Cloths can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Harbor Freight & also on Amazon!

To see more: http://instagram.com/_staci.marie_

• Cj57

sorry saw where u bought the drop cloth[s] what about the clips?

• Jean

My question is, drop cloths are very heavy on full length drapes would these hooks be strong enough to hold the weight? How would they fit into laundry tub?

• Staci Marie

The curtains are on the heavier side but I have my curtain rod placed into studs and I used a 1 inch size rod with 1.5 inch ring clips. I used 10 per 4 foot panel and haven't had one come off yet...and I am not careful when pulling them open or shut. I actually found some if the clips hard to squeeze open to place them on the panel.

As far as washing them I wash 2 panels at a time in my washer. My washer does not have an agitator pole so my washer is open and easily washed the panels.

• Ellen Kirby

How do you keep burlap from unraveling?

• Mary

Use the large zig zag stitch on a sewing machine.

• Donna

Beautiful

• Lowcntrygal
      15 hours ago

If you have a Harbor Freight, watch their sales and get on the email list for coupons you can get 4'x12' canvas drop cloths for as $5 each if not cheaper. Which honestly helps a lot if you have several to do.

• Staci Marie
        30 minutes ago

I also bought all of mine on sale. I'm too cheap to pay full price. LOL! 😊