Kristy
Kristy
  • New Douglas, IL
Asked 7 days ago

How can I makeover this table?

Krafty Mrs.KFlipturnPamela
+12

I received this desk from an aunt and it's a nice desk yet just not my style. Any ideas on re-doing. I don't care for all the "shiny"..so any ideas would be great. Plus I don't want to spend much $.... broke as usual😊

q ideas on makeover
  • Cindy

Hi Kristy. The only way to change the appearance of the desk is with paint. If you choose to paint your desk, you will need to sand it first. Paint will not adhere to that shiny surface. There's a new paint on the market called "Beyond Paint", it eliminates the need to sand and seal. You're right Kristy, it is a nice desk.

• Kristy

Thanks Cindy. I definitely want to paint it- the shiny is nice just not me. I'll have to check out the beyond paint.

• Paint and new hardware will make a huge difference. Before you paint, it needs to be sanded. Since it's so shiny, I would sand it a lot. Use 80 grit sandpaper. Then prime it with Zinsser BIN paint to ensure the paint will stick. Then paint it. Chalk paint is nice but it requires a top coat. I like latex paint in an eggshell finish because it's cheaper, covers better and you can get it in any color.

• I would use Amy Howard One Step Paint. It works great. You can either wax or seal over it. We tried both in my home on furniture, I have a home daycare, so LOTS of wear and tear. The sealer is holding up perfectly. We used minwax poly over top. We made this table and it turned out like the second. We did restain the top. In the second set, we painted the whole thing.

• Robyn Garner

Use CitriStrip to get the sealer off. Scrape directly into a garbage pail. Mix your own chalk paint using Plaster of Paris and a tester size latex paint. Order new hardware from aliexpress.com

You can probably make this completely new looking and your style for under $40

• Jan Clark

OMG, I wouldn't change the finish on this one. It's too nice. You may regret altering somewhere down the road. Better to spend your money on a piece of tempered glass or sheet of heavy plastic cut to the inside dimensions of the top. At that point the surface can be etched, stenciled, covered with contact paper - or whatever - to make it 'yours'.

• Pamela

Bring it to my house! It’s absolutely beautiful!!! 😁

• Flipturn
    Yesterday

As others have commented, some folks may find the table very attractive just the way it is. As it seems to be in very good condition (not banged up, or scratched, etc.) my suggestion is to, instead of spending money trying to change it, sell it.

With the money you earn from the sale, get a table that is more your style.

• Krafty Mrs.K
    31 minutes ago

I am currently Citristripping a bad paint job off a once good Broyhill dresser I found to restore the wood finish. It is a pain so if you ever want to go back to a stained wood finish it will be hard. I get painting cheap wood pieces with a ruined finish but cringe when I see classic furniture chalk painted grey to be trendy.

Your nice piece could sell for good price at a consignment store. Let some one who wants that style have it and use the money to make what you like.

Or just throw a canvas drop cloth over it for rustic table cloth.