Asked on Jun 14, 2019

How do I naturally kill poison ivy?

BetsyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAKathy Gunter Law
+3

How do I naturally kill poison ivy?

• Kathy Gunter Law

Cut at the stump and spray and herbicide at the ground level.

Once it is withered, it is still possible to get a rash when removing (but easier to remove when dead because of the small "hair" roots) so continue to wear protective clothing.

• We did this at my girlfriends house at the end of April, like we do every year. We use plain old white vinegar. We dig it all out, mark the bags for the refuse service and drown the area in vinegar.

Hi Angela: This is what worked for me: Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! You can get it at most home improvement stores. Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. It does take a while, but it works. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst!

If you are, or you know someone who is, diabetic, ask for one of their used needles, fill it with the ground clear and inject it, in a downwards direction, directly into the vine. Then, be sure to dispose of the needle properly and don't touch the needle part because you may get some of the poison ivy oil on you.