How To Rust A Dollar Store Pot

$10

I'm the type of person that enjoys doing things easy, I'm kind of always in a hurry. So, when I was looking up faux rusting techniques, I was disappointed that most of them use harsh chemicals ( ) and can take up to 24-48 hours which is also a no. So, as I so often do, I did it my own way- fast and easy.

Here's what you'll need, cinnamon, spray paint, sand paper, and a plastic bag.

Begin by sanding the pot completely so that you see scratches all over.

Next, spray the whole pot with metallic silver paint. Don't let it fully dry!

Crinkle up your plastic bag, and while the paint is still tacky do the next step.

Spray paint your plastic bag with some black matte paint.

And go ahead and start blotting the bag over the silver paint. You can blot and also wipe it, so that you'll achieve an uneven and aged look.

If you mess up, no worries! Just spray paint over and start again. It should look something like this.

Next, spray the pot with some matte finish, and sprinkle the cinnamon over it while it is still wet.

Then tap it to get rid of the excess.

Then seal is with the matte finish and it will look like a crusty rust!

It all took 10 minutes!Hope you enjoyed and give it a try yourself!

I’m going to add a Christmas tree to the pot this season 😊 Check out more on my Facebook page.

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!

• Lawana Bryan

This is so cool...and seems easy! Thanks!!!

• Shuganne

Hi, Shelly! This is not the first project you've posted that has just blown me away with your creativity! If I were wanting to make something unique, I'd definitely look to you for inspiration!

I just don't want to make something look old and rusty and if I had something old n rusty, I'd want to restore it to its former glory.

Am I the only one who hopes this sand-off-the-edges phase dies quickly? Think of green Frigidaires before you answer, wonderful DIYers.

Again, Shelly, you are a genius; you are amazing! I respectfully salute your talents! Maybe next time, just for me and - hello? (echoes) - anyone out there who grew up with second-hands and pass-'em-downs - you could make something look beautiful and new?

Thank you for letting me use your project as a little soapbox. God bless.

• Lisa Sinclair

I love the vintage/ aged look. I'm a farm girl, so to me old rust means home.. LOL But like anything, it's not for everyone, which is what makes DIY so awesome! We all see the world differently, and it makes the world interesting. We take what makes us happy, then bring it into our homes.