How To Rust A Dollar Store Pot

$10

I'm the type of person that enjoys doing things easy, I'm kind of always in a hurry. So, when I was looking up faux rusting techniques, I was disappointed that most of them use harsh chemicals ( ) and can take up to 24-48 hours which is also a no. So, as I so often do, I did it my own way- fast and easy.

Here's what you'll need, cinnamon, spray paint, sand paper, and a plastic bag.

Begin by sanding the pot completely so that you see scratches all over.

Next, spray the whole pot with metallic silver paint. Don't let it fully dry!

Crinkle up your plastic bag, and while the paint is still tacky do the next step.

Spray paint your plastic bag with some black matte paint.

And go ahead and start blotting the bag over the silver paint. You can blot and also wipe it, so that you'll achieve an uneven and aged look.

If you mess up, no worries! Just spray paint over and start again. It should look something like this.

Next, spray the pot with some matte finish, and sprinkle the cinnamon over it while it is still wet.

Then tap it to get rid of the excess.

Then seal is with the matte finish and it will look like a crusty rust!

It all took 10 minutes!Hope you enjoyed and give it a try yourself!

I’m going to add a Christmas tree to the pot this season 😊 Check out more on my Facebook page.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/148871301967379

• Lawana Bryan

This is so cool...and seems easy! Thanks!!!

• Shuganne

Hi, Shelly! This is not the first project you've posted that has just blown me away with your creativity! If I were wanting to make something unique, I'd definitely look to you for inspiration!

I just don't want to make something look old and rusty and if I had something old n rusty, I'd want to restore it to its former glory.

Am I the only one who hopes this sand-off-the-edges phase dies quickly? Think of green Frigidaires before you answer, wonderful DIYers.

Again, Shelly, you are a genius; you are amazing! I respectfully salute your talents! Maybe next time, just for me and - hello? (echoes) - anyone out there who grew up with second-hands and pass-'em-downs - you could make something look beautiful and new?

Thank you for letting me use your project as a little soapbox. God bless.

• Debra Ruley

I agree with Deborah Conrad, this idea is very clever!😁

Thanks for the how to👍😁

• Angela
    3 minutes ago

Love this, I like you like projects I don’t have have wait. You have a very creative mind. Thanks🙂