Marian
Marian
  • Jamestown, NC
Asked on Jun 23, 2019

How do I clean a stain off the blue stone on my outdoor walkway?

DeeRobyn GarnerWilliam
+5

I put down a new door mat and 4 days later found a brown stain where the mat was on our front stoop. I tried detergent and a soft brush but it is not working. The mat is made of coir or coconut husks. What would you suggest for cleaning... I appreciate any help you can give.

q how do i clean a stain off the blue stone on my outdoor walkway
  • FrugalFamilyTimes.com

TSP might work. Muriatic acid is another option, but you'll likely end up doing your entire walkway to keep the appearance consistent (it really cleans!). Wear gloves and take care.

• Marian

Thank you. I hadn't thought of either. I appreciate the advice of gloves as well! Enjoy the day, Marian

• Sue

First try old faithful, a solution of baking soda and vinegar. Depending on the size of the stain, I suggest you use more baking soda than vinegar and make a paste. Let it sit a moment and then use a brush to scrub it. Hopefully do this once or twice will work.

My second suggestion is to use ammonia by pouring it directly on the stain, and then use a scrub brush.

Lastly borax and vinegar may do the job too. I hope these work. I believe they should.

• Fiddledd224

Try using a sander/sand paper.

• Kit

Uses Mr. clean magic eraser! Rub well, rinse clean! If you need a little “grit”, sprinkle. Little table salt on it. Dampen the Magic Eraser with just a drop of Dawn dish soap.

Try TSP or Krud Kutter. Muriatic acid is used etch a stone surface before staining or painting. Don't use it.

• Robyn Garner

I would first try Barkeeper's Friend and a stiff scrub brush. Don't use anything acidic as it can etch the stone, ruin the sealant, and/or destroy your grout. If BF doesn't work, try baking soda and vinegar. I don't think 4 days exposure will require anything too drastic.

• Dee

KrudKutter or Purple Power cleaner degreaser from the auto store.