How do I clean rusted cast iron?

+5
  • Sharon Sharon on Jun 30, 2019

I usually use steel wool. If its a wood stove/airtight, then follow up with some Williams Graphite Stove polish. On my old air tight, I sprayed the metal with Fireplace Paint after scraping off the rust with steel wool.

If its cast iron pan or pot, after scraping off the rust with steel wool or coarse salt, I cut small pieces of the fat from salt pork, or lard, and put in a 200 degree oven for 3 hours. Then repeat the next day until blackened/seasoned. Avoid using soap, just wipe it out, never soak in the sink or with detergent.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Jun 30, 2019

pots/pans? fencing? stove? different methods work best for each,how bad is the rust? Vinegar and steel wool & stiff wire brush drill with wire wheel attachment

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 01, 2019

Where is the rust? On what sort of object?

• Jmw50641335 Jmw50641335 on Feb 07, 2021

Rusted cast iron bench

• Connie Lyons Furmanek Connie Lyons Furmanek on Feb 07, 2021

Put it in the fireplace for awhile. Season it all over in the oven after wiping it with vegetable oil.

Sorry, I was thinking pans.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 19, 2021

Scrub with salt to remove rust. Then re season by covering with cooking oil and baking at 350 for an hour, face down. Remember to put a drip pan below to catch oils. Cut off and let cook in oven after an hour.